Just saw that beer

colhusker

I can go either way on this subject, but I probably wouldn't buy a $9 beer at a game. I also don't see it as being as big of a problem as some people think. The ones who are going to get drunk and disorderly at a Nebrasketball game, or any other sporting event, are usually already drunk when they show up in the building.  

I don't want to speak for all the out-of-staters on this board...maybe it's just me, but I don't quite see the big deal about this topic every time it comes up.

I'm sure it's a big deal to those local bars & restaurants in the Haymarket & West Haymarket district. That's where I think this issue dissolves in that the city would be competing with those establishments for the beer bucks..

I don't want to speak for all the out-of-staters on this board...maybe it's just me, but I don't quite see the big deal about this topic every time it comes up.

I'm sure it's a big deal to those local bars & restaurants in the Haymarket & West Haymarket district. That's where I think this issue dissolves in that the city would be competing with those establishments for the beer bucks..

I can completely understand the economic part of both sides of it (pro: new revenue source, con: competition with local establishments). That said, having a background in economics, competition is a good thing, but that's another viewpoint for a different day.

Even from a consumer side, economics plays a large role: prices for beer are so high because of 1. Supply/Demand, 2. Limited disposable income. What college student would want to pay for $9 beer when they could spend that money on Jimmy John's? More than likely, if they were the type of person who binged before a game or smuggled alcohol into the game, they're likely to continue doing so in either scenario.

It's the "in game experience," "rowdy," etc. things that get me. I've spent many hours at hockey, basketball, soccer, football, baseball, etc. games and rarely, if ever, see any unruly behavior out of the ordinary. I'm completely open to others' viewpoints, but I just struggle seeing it on this part of the beer debate.

If it matters to the discussion at all, Eastern Michigan sold beer for one football game this year as part of a "trial run" to see if it would work. Ended up losing money on it and won't be bringing it back. Now I know there is a difference between a football team that brings in about 7 fans and a basketball team that brings in 15,000, but just thought I'd mention it

I think everyone can survive without having to have a beer or two for a couple of hours.  The only negative seems to be the lost revenue.  I that can be a big loss.

That's a good point, we should ban the use of smartphones at games too. People can survive without using their phone for a couple of hours and it enhances the game experience ;)

Not a problem here. My main problem are all the people (none on here that I know of) that are constantly complaining about the Arena's lack of financial success. Most of that lack happens during Basketball season when its next to impossible to schedule non Husker related events. The only income the arena makes is off of food sales...and from that they have to pay all their bills. There is absolutely nothing that can be done as they have to kneel down and kiss the feet of the University. I believe unless they changed the contract...the Arena would take in most all of the beer advertisement $ and sales of the beer as part of their concessions income. The U would get very little if any. It would increase the revenue of the arena...and have very little impact on University income.

Handy: Honest question-How would it be possible to lose money selling beer unless they give it away since the mark up is so huge. Do insurance rates go up astronomically because of folks falling from the balconies? Do vendors have to have extended training sessions to avoid leaving too much foam? Is extra security needed to cart off drunks? I just cannot see how money could be lost.

Handy: Honest question-How would it be possible to lose money selling beer unless they give it away since the mark up is so huge. Do insurance rates go up astronomically because of folks falling from the balconies? Do vendors have to have extended training sessions to avoid leaving too much foam? Is extra security needed to cart off drunks? I just cannot see how money could be lost.

Well, jimmy, there was that time that me and silverbacked worked the beer tent ...

Well, jimmy, there was that time that me and silverbacked worked the beer tent ...

Yeah and they us told we got FREE samples. :wacko: 

• 5 months later...

Not to resurrect an old topic, but just read that beer and wine will be served in premium seating areas for Florida Gators games for both for football and basketball games starting next season.

This is becoming more and more commonplace.