Phil Beckner named the next assistant coach at Nebraska

hhcmatt

...and let me clarify my earlier "concern" post.  I will again state that I trust Coach Miles and I trust this will be a good hire.  I further hope that we have caught a rising star.  When I read his Weber State bio, there is not significant mention of his recruiting prowess.  His forte seems to have been with player development.  Hence my concern about recruiting.  If we get them, we can develop them...but do we have the ability to get them.  Sorry, it is a concern until history tells us differently.

It would seem that Beckner was originally in the running when we first were looking for an assistant.

If that's true, then why was the spot open for so long after Burno quit?

Burno's departure went public on July 3, so this job wasn't even open a month.  Doesn't seem "so long" to me.  Anyway, would the University's policy on posting the job be in play?

https://twitter.com/RobinWashut/status/628306358811652096

It would seem that Beckner was originally in the running when we first were looking for an assistant.

Maybe just the timing of everything? Coaches being busy tidying up from the final July evaluation period? Maybe Miles just thought it was better to have Eaton finish it up since he was in house already and knew what was going on with their recruiting.

https://twitter.com/RobinWashut/status/628306358811652096

Maybe just the timing of everything? Coaches being busy tidying up from the final July evaluation period? Maybe Miles just thought it was better to have Eaton finish it up since he was in house already and knew what was going on with their recruiting.

I wondered the same thing myself. However, a month was approximately the same time frame for the hiring of Burno.

We knew about Burno well before it became official so it's pretty obvious that Beckner knew he was being hired days before it was tweeted out by the U. When they were filling the spot for Burno, it wasn't in the middle of recruiting for 16 out of 21 days. Finally, I'm sure he asked around and/or interviewed other guys. I'd have to look up the timelines for the Molinari and Hunter hires but I'd suspect there was a decent amount of lead time for those as well.

Beckner retweeted Craig Smith on July 7th. Coincidence?

d51981c843.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...