Under Armour?

That Michigan adidas deal was $8 million a year. They could afford to take a bit of a cut.

Fact remains is they did it even though they didn't have to. Reports were that Adidas offered them a huge increase over that 8 million to re-sign too.

Again, not arguing for one way or another here, I'm just saying it's not always just about the money.

Except for the fact that they didn't take less than what they had been making previously with adidas.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/25241853/michigan-nike-contract-worth-169-million-richest-in-college-sports

Of course Suh won't make the decision. But he will have a loud voice in the conversation. Every coach (football and basketball) has wanted to make the switch to Nike. If the biggest name that has ties to NU football jumps on that train, it will get noticed. If Nike or Under Armor can't get in the vicinity of the three stripes deal, it may not matter, but that Adidas deal from last time isn't incredible, so it might become a small bidding war, which would be a good thing for NU. NU football needs to be competitive next year, I think, too.

Seriously man, Suh will have no say in anything related to apparel contracts. And I can tell you with great certainty that Nike did not come anywhere close to the vicinity of adidas last time around. So, what would make them more interested now?

Edit: Unless he's willing to pay the millions of dollars difference, yearly, between what adidas gives and what Nike is willing to give.

Suh's involvement in this project as well as at Nebraska, combined with the football and basketball coaches desire to make the switch, will absolutely have an impact, especially if it does well, which I expect it to.

Of course Suh won't make the decision. But he will have a loud voice in the conversation. Every coach (football and basketball) has wanted to make the switch to Nike. If the biggest name that has ties to NU football jumps on that train, it will get noticed. If Nike or Under Armor can't get in the vicinity of the three stripes deal, it may not matter, but that Adidas deal from last time isn't incredible, so it might become a small bidding war, which would be a good thing for NU. NU football needs to be competitive next year, I think, too.

Seriously man, Suh will have no say in anything related to apparel contracts. And I can tell you with great certainty that Nike did not come anywhere close to the vicinity of adidas last time around. So, what would make them more interested now?

Edit: Unless he's willing to pay the millions of dollars difference, yearly, between what adidas gives and what Nike is willing to give.

Suh's involvement in this project as well as at Nebraska, combined with the football and basketball coaches desire to make the switch, will absolutely have an impact, especially if it does well, which I expect it to.

Again, Nike had no interest before, why do they now?

Do you know that Nike doesn't have interest now, or are these just assumptions you're making because they didn't have interest before?

Do you know that Nike doesn't have interest now, or are these just assumptions you're making because they didn't have interest before?

I know a lot more than you guys would ever believe that I know.

in case you were wondering which brand our recruits would prefer...

https://twitter.com/roby_isaiah/status/654303837746937856

i'm guessing suh is the nudge the university needed to finally switch to nike. adidas is terrible.

Again, no nudge needed. Nike offered MILLIONS of dollars less than adidas last time around.

Do you really believe Shawn Eichorst and his staff are saying to themselves "Well, Suh wants us to be Nike, so I guess we should switch to them!"? They couldn't care less what direction the people outside of the department want it to go in.

There are few more effective ways to make oneself unpopular on an internet message board than the above types of statements.  Sometimes, things are better left unsaid.  Now, if you would like to go ahead and tell us who you are and why you are so clever, we'd be grateful to hear it.  Otherwise, I'd imagine being less combative on the matter would gain much more favor.  People are merely speculating here and really I don't think anyone (else) pretends to have any real important insider-y knowledge.  It's just a conversation we're having.  You know, for funsies?

There are few more effective ways to make oneself unpopular on an internet message board than the above types of statements.  Sometimes, things are better left unsaid.  Now, if you would like to go ahead and tell us who you are and why you are so clever, we'd be grateful to hear it.  Otherwise, I'd imagine being less combative on the matter would gain much more favor.  People are merely speculating here and really I don't think anyone (else) pretends to have any real important insider-y knowledge.  It's just a conversation we're having.  You know, for funsies?

With all due respect to my friend from the Greater KC Area ...

Norm makes mental notes about posters.

There are some who I KNOW for sure they know stuff.

There are some who I strongly suspect really do actually know stuff.

There are some who I think talk out their arse a lot.

Norm has made mental notes about Mr. CrazyforNUHOOPS before.

Norm thinks Mr. CrazyforNUHOOPS falls into the middle category.

There are few more effective ways to make oneself unpopular on an internet message board than the above types of statements. Sometimes, things are better left unsaid. Now, if you would like to go ahead and tell us who you are and why you are so clever, we'd be grateful to hear it. Otherwise, I'd imagine being less combative on the matter would gain much more favor. People are merely speculating here and really I don't think anyone (else) pretends to have any real important insider-y knowledge. It's just a conversation we're having. You know, for funsies?

There are some who I KNOW for sure they know stuff.

There are some who I strongly suspect really do actually know stuff.

Thanks for the support Norm. I hope to someday be able to fall into your top category!

There are few more effective ways to make oneself unpopular on an internet message board than the above types of statements. Sometimes, things are better left unsaid. Now, if you would like to go ahead and tell us who you are and why you are so clever, we'd be grateful to hear it. Otherwise, I'd imagine being less combative on the matter would gain much more favor. People are merely speculating here and really I don't think anyone (else) pretends to have any real important insider-y knowledge. It's just a conversation we're having. You know, for funsies?

Thanks for the support Norm. I hope to someday be able to fall into your top category!

Right now, there's only one person in my top category.  And, it's just that I know who that person is and how, therefore, he comes by his information.  And it's been unassailable information.  Just as an example, the very first public information about the hire of Rashon Burno was the thread I posted on this very site.  Bryan Rosenthal reads my thread and starts scrambling to try to see if there's been a hire.  That's how fresh my info was. 

So, there's only ONE way you make it into my top category:  You have to buy me a beer.  :D

That Michigan adidas deal was $8 million a year. They could afford to take a bit of a cut.

Fact remains is they did it even though they didn't have to.  Reports were that Adidas offered them a huge increase over that 8 million to re-sign too.

Again, not arguing for one way or another here, I'm just saying it's not always just about the money.

Well....

There are some who I KNOW for sure they know stuff.

There are some who I strongly suspect really do actually know stuff.

FTR, I'm not putting into question the veracity of his claims, but rather making a statement like that on internet message boards tends to be very off-putting for many many people.  Like I say, it's something that's better left unsaid.  It's kind of analogous to one of baseball's litany of "unwritten rules".

Also, FTR, I am with you in categorizing him as someone who usually comes across with pretty solid insider-y info.

And I really don't have a dog in the fight, either.

I agree with this assessment, this person has provided some valuable input on key issues at times.

But also to 49r's point, this whole thread's intent was speculation "Let's hear everyone's thoughts if the Huskers switched to Under Armour?" I don't care if Hoops is a student manager, Shamus, Dirk, Eichorst, or Mother Teressa, I start losing respect for someone who derails a conversation and has to try to prove how much they know. That aside, props on your earlier response, I got a good laugh out of it.

I'm more or less fascinated by how much conversation and how touchy apparel topics are to the fan base. Some of our highest-viewed threads have to deal with this subject. It's hard to argue that a lot of high school athletes are very much influenced by apparel sponsors. But when it comes to the fan base, it seems there's not much middle ground, it's very polarized. Taking a step back for a minute, isn't it crazy to think how much influence athletic apparel companies have on sports?

Right now, there's only one person in my top category. And, it's just that I know who that person is and how, therefore, he comes by his information. And it's been unassailable information. Just as an example, the very first public information about the hire of Rashon Burno was the thread I posted on this very site. Bryan Rosenthal reads my thread and starts scrambling to try to see if there's been a hire. That's how fresh my info was.

So, there's only ONE way you make it into my top category: You have to buy me a beer. :D

Ok! Someday you're going to get a beer on me!

I agree with this assessment, this person has provided some valuable input on key issues at times.

But also to 49r's point, this whole thread's intent was speculation "Let's hear everyone's thoughts if the Huskers switched to Under Armour?" I don't care if Hoops is a student manager, Shamus, Dirk, Eichorst, or Mother Teressa, I start losing respect for someone who derails a conversation and has to try to prove how much they know. That aside, props on your earlier response, I got a good laugh out of it.

I'm more or less fascinated by how much conversation and how touchy apparel topics are to the fan base. Some of our highest-viewed threads have to deal with this subject. It's hard to argue that a lot of high school athletes are very much influenced by apparel sponsors. But when it comes to the fan base, it seems there's not much middle ground, it's very polarized. Taking a step back for a minute, isn't it crazy to think how much influence athletic apparel companies have on sports?

I apologize for coming off as trying to derail the conversation, but I just think it's ridiculous to assume Suh has any influence in this matter, on either the AD or Nike. This administration could not give two sh*ts less about what anyone on the outside thinks or wants.

Maybe I'm stepping out of bounds by so adamantly stressing what I know about the situation, but I just felt that I needed to weigh in. Sorry for ruffling any feathers.