Under Armour?

Wisconsin is leaving Adidas in 2016 for 10-year deal with Under Armour

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25331284/wisconsin-is-leaving-adidas-in-2016-for-10-year-deal-with-under-armour

Wisconsin will receive $3.33 million in product from Under Armour in the first year, and then $2.45 million the year after that, with that amount increasing each year until it is $3.05 million in product in year 10. Adidas is providing Wisconsin with $1.375 million in product this year. 

Under the Badgers' Adidas contract, the school was receiving $800,000 in cash. The new Under Armour deal will pay the school $4 million annually.

So, essentially, Wisconsin will go from around $2.1 million a year with Adidas to right around $7 million with Under Armour.  Not bad.

If Under Armor throws this kind of money Nebraska's way, they will be with Under Armor. NU administration didn't seem all that enthused that the current deal was basically an extension of the prior deal (no increase). Guess we'll find out in a couple of years...

I mean, sure, if they blow everyone out of the water. Smoke is saying Suh's gonna make sure that doesn't happen.

Suh doesn't have any role in NU's contract negotiations. This NikeTown store has no real connection to the next apparel supplier, other than proximity to campus.

It sure is making a statement though. If he can prove there's a demand in Lincoln (e.g. sales), then I have a strong feeling that opinions will change in the city.

If Under Armor throws this kind of money Nebraska's way, they will be with Under Armor. NU administration didn't seem all that enthused that the current deal was basically an extension of the prior deal (no increase). Guess we'll find out in a couple of years...

That'll be enough to finance their buyout of their football coach's contract.

That'll be enough to finance their buyout of their football coach's contract.

Riley & Co. might want to invest in a heart medicine named 'under armor' if any more of these heart-breakers occur. Nebraska's collective heart can't take this.

Suh doesn't have any role in NU's contract negotiations. This NikeTown store has no real connection to the next apparel supplier, other than proximity to campus.

He has influence.

Suh doesn't have any say whatsoever on Husker athletics' signing on the dotted line unless it's to present an other-worldly offer FROM Nike.

I am not 100% convinced of that Auroran.  Suh has donated, and unless I am missing something, will likely be a future money source to dear old NU.  Large donors certainly can have a say, especially if he has some insight as to the business behind the product. 

He has influence.

Suh doesn't have any say whatsoever on Husker athletics' signing on the dotted line unless it's to present an other-worldly offer FROM Nike.

I am not 100% convinced of that Auroran.  Suh has donated, and unless I am missing something, will likely be a future money source to dear old NU.  Large donors certainly can have a say, especially if he has some insight as to the business behind the product. 

I sincerely doubt that Suh is going to be "deciding" anything. That was how I saw these messages on here that somehow Suh would be 'that' influential to a final decision. Seems completely based on the blowing of the wind. Maybe I'm the one out in left field (and am completely wrong), I just didn't see what some here seem to be seeing in the tea leaves.  I'm often wrong, so it wouldn't be the first. I think whichever way Nebraska goes with the athletic apparel supplier, a 'break' from adidas might be a good idea. If it's Under Armor or Nike, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to know what apparel & uniforms will look like in 2017.

He has influence.

I am not 100% convinced of that Auroran. Suh has donated, and unless I am missing something, will likely be a future money source to dear old NU. Large donors certainly can have a say, especially if he has some insight as to the business behind the product.

Suh will have absolutely no say on the athletic department side during the next apparel contract negotiations.

He has influence.

I am not 100% convinced of that Auroran. Suh has donated, and unless I am missing something, will likely be a future money source to dear old NU. Large donors certainly can have a say, especially if he has some insight as to the business behind the product.

Suh will have absolutely no say on the athletic department side during the next apparel contract negotiations.

I wouldn't put it past the university. They turned down Warren Buffet and Coca-Cola the last time Pepsi's contract was expiring.

That said, Suh has a lot of influence at Nebraska - whether it's construction management or athletics. It's entirely true that he might just see this as a good untapped market opportunity and this is strictly business, but if that store exceeds expectations, that would be a hard thing to ignore. It would also show Nike that Nebraska has value and might lead to a very favorable negotiation. Complete speculation, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Perhaps I missed this being said somewhere, but I am not saying Suh will have the final decision on this upcoming contract.  I am not even sure where that ultimate decision rests, but I would be shocked if that decision is made solely on dollars and cents.  Is money part of the criteria...absolutely.  Yet other factors must play into the decision and a wise person will ask those in the know to provide their opinions.  I would then go back to my original take; Suh will in all probability have a say in the direction we take.  If he does not, that would tell me that Suh is pushing himself away from the Huskers; and quite frankly, I do not see that happening.

He has influence.

I wouldn't put it past the university. They turned down Warren Buffet and Coca-Cola the last time Pepsi's contract was expiring.

That said, Suh has a lot of influence at Nebraska - whether it's construction management or athletics. It's entirely true that he might just see this as a good untapped market opportunity and this is strictly business, but if that store exceeds expectations, that would be a hard thing to ignore. It would also show Nike that Nebraska has value and might lead to a very favorable negotiation. Complete speculation, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

It definitely seems like a bargaining tool by NU in addition to the more obvious business venture. And if Nike is testing the waters, so be it. Let the games begin...

Of course Suh won't make the decision. But he will have a loud voice in the conversation. Every coach (football and basketball) has wanted to make the switch to Nike. If the biggest name that has ties to NU football jumps on that train, it will get noticed. If Nike or Under Armor can't get in the vicinity of the three stripes deal, it may not matter, but that Adidas deal from last time isn't incredible, so it might become a small bidding war, which would be a good thing for NU. NU football needs to be competitive next year, I think, too. 

Of course Suh won't make the decision. But he will have a loud voice in the conversation. Every coach (football and basketball) has wanted to make the switch to Nike. If the biggest name that has ties to NU football jumps on that train, it will get noticed. If Nike or Under Armor can't get in the vicinity of the three stripes deal, it may not matter, but that Adidas deal from last time isn't incredible, so it might become a small bidding war, which would be a good thing for NU. NU football needs to be competitive next year, I think, too.

Seriously man, Suh will have no say in anything related to apparel contracts. And I can tell you with great certainty that Nike did not come anywhere close to the vicinity of adidas last time around. So, what would make them more interested now?

Edit: Unless he's willing to pay the millions of dollars difference, yearly, between what adidas gives and what Nike is willing to give.

That Michigan adidas deal was $8 million a year. They could afford to take a bit of a cut.

Fact remains is they did it even though they didn't have to.  Reports were that Adidas offered them a huge increase over that 8 million to re-sign too.

Again, not arguing for one way or another here, I'm just saying it's not always just about the money.