Nebrasketball: The Book

hhcmatt

Scott Winter, the author, is a journalism professor at UNL

51Yrxj%2BUUnL.jpg

-= Preorder on Amazon =-

When fall rolls into winter, most sports fans in Nebraska long for spring football. But Coach Tim Miles has given hibernating fans a reason to cheer through winter for the first time in twenty years. Since taking over the men’s basketball program in 2012, Miles has gone from being relatively unknown outside college coaching circles to a big name on the national stage as an up-and-coming, funny, and fan-friendly college coach.

Miles scores big with Nebraska’s fans with his social media acumen—he tweets during halftime—and his fan interaction—he applied (and failed) to become the leader of the student section at Pinnacle Bank Arena. But on the court and in practice, Miles is all about winning. His combination of toughness, togetherness, and humor has rejuvenated Nebraska basketball.

Nebrasketball provides a full-access account of Tim Miles’s path to Nebraska and his team’s inaugural season in the $186 million Pinnacle Bank Arena. With full access to Miles and the team, Scott Winter provides basketball fans with an intimate look at a rising star in college basketball, detailing what it’s like to coach an NCAA men’s program today with all of its triumphs and struggles, along with Miles’s larger story as a transformational coach who has made Nebraska basketball, and other college programs, relevant. The book also shows the small-town legacy and tenacity that created Miles, including his mother’s prodding, his benching as a college player, and his significant history of losing, which he claims was his most important mentor.

Has anyone read the book yet? If so review it here for us.

Jimmy,

Here is an article with a few excerpts that were interesting:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/3742830-kevin-schnepf-nd-native-takes-behind-scenes-look-tim-miles-new-book

For instance:

At a home game against Ohio State, he went up to Buckeyes standout guard Aaron Craft during pregame. "'My niece is married, but she has a huge crush on you. The rest of us call you Aaron Crap, though.' 'Yeah, I get that a lot,' Craft said. 'Yeah,' Miles said, again grinning. 'But we really mean it.' He slaps Craft on the back and the guard laughs."

• 3 months later...

Scott Winter was a professor of mine at Nebraska. He is no longer at nebraska, but i am excited to read this book. He taught a class on Sports writing, and so i have high expectations.

Now that we know that you took (and hopefully passed) a class on sports writing, we officially have higher expectations of your writing ability on this site as we move into the future.  The bar has been set :D

Odd. I purchased this preordered on May 4 from Amazon. Not only is it now priced $5.00 cheaper, but usually Amazon sends notification when the price of a preorder is changed or the release date changes. Now it appears I may postpone reading the 25th anniversary edition of Friday Night Lights until after reading this one if the release date is bumped up again. Wait, I think I may hear the Amazon drone outside now.

• 2 weeks later...