Johnny Trueblood

Brandon4Real_X

I just watched his junior highlights on hudl.  (Sometimes it's nice to get stuck on a boring conference call.  This was one of those times.)  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3213707/highlights/135426375

• Fantastic court awareness.  Very smart player; anticipates extremely well. 
  • Certainly understands how to drive, how to get the opposing defender off balance or committing one direction and then driving hard the other way, so that he can create just enough space to get by.  And he's able to finish.  That's key.  Although, a major college recruit who stands 6'3" or 6'4" would be throwing it down at the finish on some of those.  But he knows how to get the roll, and that's something some players just seem to have.
  • Seems to be at least an adequate shooter.  Just more reps and I think he'll be there.  Would like to see him develop a mid-range jumper off the dribble.
  • Needs to add about a foot to his no-step vertical leap.  Saw some place said he has like a 25 inch vertical and that should probably be at least 36".  Improving his vertical should improve his quickness as well.
  • I think schools like UNO are missing the boat not offering this kid.  I think he's a D-1 caliber player at some level and can certainly see why Tony thinks he could develop into a contributor for us.  He's not quite there athletically yet.  But his hoops ability is, at least where you'd want it to be for a junior in HS (which is what his tape was.)

Like the kid.  Good addition, especially when it's as low risk as it is, him being a walk-on and all.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to watch Trueblood in person last week - agree with most everything listed here thus far. Very good court awareness, does a nice job getting everyone on the team involved. Elk South loves to run, and Trueblood leads the charge, good in the open court.

Most impressive is his quick/explosive first step, allows him to get around most HS players. While his game/style does remind me a bit of Gesell in HS, he's certainly not as strong as Gesell was in HS, and not as quick. Of course that's to be expected as Gesell had multiple Power 5 scholarship offers. And Gesell dominated the ball a lot more at the HS level.

I'd say Trueblood has plenty of room to get better too. Scored in the mid-20s in the game I saw, but easily could've been in the mid-30s. Left several points at the FT line and didn't finish a few chances deep in the lane. Would like to see the FT stroke improve, releases it too low for my liking, making it tough to be consistent.

A higher release point would help his outside shooting consistency too I think. He hit a couple of really nice pull-up jumpers from the FT line in the middle of the game, but when he shot another one a few minutes later, it barely grazed the side of the rim. With his quick first step, that pull-up jumper game can be his bread and butter against bigger players in college if it was a little more consistent. Didn't really want to shoot 3s in the game I saw. I think he was 0-for-1 from out there.

Overall a nice addition as a walk-on and should be able to give the guys a good look in practice. Now we'll have to see if he can beat out Tai on the scout team.  ;)

Should add that he seemed coach-able. Had a few frustrating plays during the game, but he didn't seem to let it bother him much, other than the occasional frustrated hand clap ;), and didn't show a bad attitude at any point with coaches or teammates, like you'll sometimes see out of the kid who's the best player on the floor. Elk South didn't play particularly well the night I saw them, so there certainly could've been some frustration boiling over. Didn't see anything that would indicate even a hint of a red flag from the point of view of him working inside the team concept.

• 3 months later...

@NebraskaHSHoops: 2015 Elkhorn South G Johnny Trueblood has committed to Nebraska as a preferred walk-on. #Nebrasketball #Huskers

I'll figure the link a tweet out some day......

Here you go Brandon...to make it official.

Robin has now worked both sides of the street...That must make it the bible/koran/et al rolled into one.

• 4 months later...