Tai Webster

Huskerpapa

Tai Is:

- New Zealand's ASB Young Sportsman of the year

- New Zealand's ASB Basketball player of the year

...and is coming to a basketball court near you!!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10850284

-- By the way, what the heck is Underwater hockey????  I never heard of it until I noted a couple of kids from NZ won the player of the year award for it...based on this YouTube video, it looks, well, it looks...uhh...interesting.  I wonder where the fans sit :)

• 2 years later...

I am in Auckland right now getting ready to fly back home, and I can say New Zealand is amazing. Rugby DOMINATES the news (granted they are about to play the World Cup in England), but it is also clear the natives are huge other sports fans as well (they even have a sheep shearing champion). However, every native I spoke with knew little about local basketball although a few were familiar with the NBA (the Lakers and Knicks came up mostly). One guy in Auckland could name the entire Knicks starting lineup, but he had never even heard of Tai.

By comparison, a few of the Aussies I met had heard of McVeigh.

Considering everything I saw and what he has been through, I have a lot more respect for Tai.

• 11 months later...

'BTPowerhouse 25': Just Missed The Cut

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2016/9/6/12794652/btpowerhouse-25--big-ten-basketball-nate-mason-tai-webster-jordan-murphy-shep-garner-robert-johnson

BTPowerhouse's staff counts down the best players in the Big Ten heading into the 2016-’17 season.

-- Tai Webster (Nebraska)

• Eligibility: Senior
  • Career Totals: 66 games, 2,106 minutes, 787 points, 195 rebounds, 186 assists
  • 2015-’16 Averages: 35.2 min, 14.8 pts, 3.0 rebs, 2.8 asts, 0.1 blks, 1.1 stls
  • Positional Role: Shooting Guard

Although most eyes were focused on Shavon Shields and Andrew White during Nebraska’s games last year, one player who was quietly pretty productive was Tai Webster. Overall, he finished second on the team in minutes and was a consistent presence in the backcourt for the Huskers.

Admittedly, Webster probably doesn’t flash that “star” potential, but if he can stay efficient (101.8 offensive rating last year), make an impact on the boards (16.4 conference defensive rebounding rate), and stay solid on the defensive side (2.9 steal rate), he should stay a solid contributor. The question will be whether there are enough playmakers around him to keep pressure off him this season.

• 2 months later...
Tai Webster's Nebraskan Basketball Odyssey
November 18, 2016 

TAI WEBSTER'S NEBRASKAN BASKETBALL ODYSSEY

https://sports.vice.com/en_au/article/when-zero-is-the-hero-tai-websters-nebraskan-basketball-odyssey

"There was a crazy amount of hype going around," he says.

"Everyone was like he's this 17-year-old who is on the national team – he's going to come in and rip up straight away. Honestly, I think I did a bad job. I let it feed into me – I expected myself to come out and do the things they expected me too.

"Once I didn't, I was like 'oh shit, what am I going to do now?' I was wondering if college was for me. I started having doubts."

Pretty good read on Tai Webster.