An interview with Mi'Cole Cayton

Row6Seat10

In a recent interview with one time Husker commit Mi"Cole Cayton, she reveals a boost from a source that helped her in choosing Cal after re-opening her commitment. A tidbit the previous regime most likely didn't want to be made public. Which raises the question, was she in the ear of the others who have moved on?

Sounds a little vindictive to me.

During their recruitment of Cayton, the Bears received an assist from her former would-be coach in Yori, whom she had grown especially close to during the recruiting process and during her initial commitment. 

"I was communicating with Connie (after opening up her recruiting) and she would tell me, 'Cal's one of the best decisions you could possibly make, just encouraging me throughout the process.

http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2119

It sounds like to me they talked after Mi'Cole knew she wasn't coming here. I would hope that is what happened, guess we never will know.

I agree.  It's hard to tell the context from that quote.  Mi'Cole certainly could have told Connie "I am not coming to Nebraska, but I respect your opinion; to the extent you are willing, please give me your thoughts on the following schools I am considering."    I do have information that once the coaching change was made, the new staff did not strongly pursue Cayton.    If that quote, which is only a positive comment about Cal, and nothing negative about Nebraska, gets to the level of "ugly", man, are we sensitive. 

It sounds like to me they talked after Mi'Cole knew she wasn't coming here. I would hope that is what happened, guess we never will know.

I agree.  It's hard to tell the context from that quote.  Mi'Cole certainly could have told Connie "I am not coming to Nebraska, but I respect your opinion; to the extent you are willing, please give me your thoughts on the following schools I am considering."    I do have information that once the coaching change was made, the new staff did not strongly pursue Cayton.    If that quote, which is only a positive comment about Cal, and nothing negative about Nebraska, gets to the level of "ugly", man, are we sensitive. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough with the semantics. Your reading to much into my comment. Ugly in the sense of everything thing that happened in the last 6 months or so ....combined...was ugly.  Has nothing what so ever with sensitivity.  But the totality of all the events was ugly.....

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough with the semantics. Your reading to much into my comment. Ugly in the sense of everything thing that happened in the last 6 months or so ....combined...was ugly.  Has nothing what so ever with sensitivity.  But the totality of all the events was ugly.....

OK, I thought you meant the fairly benign quote attributed to Yori by Cayton got things to that level. Thanks for the clarification.

OK, I thought you meant the fairly benign quote attributed to Yori by Cayton got things to that level. Thanks for the clarification.

No, he didn't call that ugly; he just called it vindictive.  So, not the same thing at all.

A couple of things:  I've talked with one of Connie's former employees and a current player.  The former employee said with Connie it really depends on if you're on her good side or her bad side.  If you're on her good side, she treats you well.  If you're not on her good side, she's horrid.  The current player said she was shocked when she got to Nebraska because Connie was an entirely different coach than she believed from camps and recruiting.  She was ready to bolt, but one of her high school coaches talked her into staying.  

Being in the legal community, I've also followed Connie's divorce as it progresses.  It's one of the nastiest divorce battles I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.  

I've always respected Connie as a coach and person, but these things are concerning to me.  

A couple of things:  I've talked with one of Connie's former employees and a current player.  The former employee said with Connie it really depends on if you're on her good side or her bad side.  If you're on her good side, she treats you well.  If you're not on her good side, she's horrid.  The current player said she was shocked when she got to Nebraska because Connie was an entirely different coach than she believed from camps and recruiting.  She was ready to bolt, but one of her high school coaches talked her into staying.  

Being in the legal community, I've also followed Connie's divorce as it progresses.  It's one of the nastiest divorce battles I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.  

I've always respected Connie as a coach and person, but these things are concerning to me.  

It all depends on to whom one talks.  If the former employee is, for example, Jan Bethea, then you'll get a certain viewpoint.   Horrid is a massive over-description, and usually by someone who has her own issues.  If you talk to a player who perhaps wasn't doing things the right way and didn't earn being on the good side, you might get a certain viewpoint.   Guess what, the same applies to me as an employer.  Do things the right way, and get yourself on my good side.  Those do get "treated better", because they have earned it and deserve the reward.

The divorce comment is a cheap shot; there is a kid involved, and some other things that don't need to be gone into here.  It's hard to understand how a coach's divorce should be a ground to justify getting fired as a coach.  Which seems to be the implication. 

Again, I am willing to move on and support the current staff and team.  I didn't post on here for a week, agreeing with the posters who said in another thread it's time to move on.  But when I hear stuff like this making personal attacks and keeping the pot stirred, I will respond.  

Well I will move on but the former employee was not Jan Bethea and the player's name I won't disclose. I understand there's a kid involved in the divorce. I've dealt with that many times but have never seen the level of vitriol as in this case. I believe both parties have pretty legitimate issues with the other. But to be respectful, I won't discuss it any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk