2016 G Evan Taylor signed with NU

GATA

2 Thoughts:

A. Glad we signed someone with experience as we need them for depth

B. Would've preferred a 5th year guy as opposed to tying up that spot for 2 years

These were my first thoughts as well.  After thinking about it for a little longer, I think it will work itself out.  There are some factors that I don't know.  Is he going to be a graduate transfer candidate next year?  If things do not go as he hopes this year, then he could use that option next year.  And maybe things will go well for him.  Either way, he seems to be a D1 type of athlete at the guard spot.  Something to be said for that if we need him to play here or there for whatever reason.  I think it is much more pro than con. 

Id agree...better to have him and not need him than find out the hard way with an injury.  

Evan Taylor was the 6th ranked recruit from the state of Virginia in 2014, and ET chose Samford over George Washington, South Carolina, Wake Forest, and West VIrginia. That's a fairly solid list of schools that Samford beat out for his services. I'm upbeat about a 6'-4" PG in the mix at NU to go with Tai, Glynn & Anton.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166280/evan-taylor

I'm glad we got  him, but another bio said he had interest from GW, SC, Wake, West Virginia.  Doubt he had offers from them. 

Evan Taylor was the 6th ranked recruit from the state of Virginia in 2014, and ET chose Samford over George Washington, South Carolina, Wake Forest, and West VIrginia. That's a fairly solid list of schools that Samford beat out for his services. I'm upbeat about a 6'-4" PG in the mix at NU to go with Tai, Glynn & Anton.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166280/evan-taylor

I'm glad we got  him, but another bio said he had interest from GW, SC, Wake, West Virginia.  Doubt he had offers from them. 

Yeah...he doesn't go to Samford if he had committable offers from those schools

All of this is according to Washut's rival story (which was free btw)

-Molinari initiated the contact

-Freshman year at Samford he averaged 6.4 pts 3.3 reb 1.2 asst and 1.1 stl

- Sophomore year at JUCO he averaged 7.1 pts 2.5 reb and 2.5 asst

-He says he is 6'5 and can play 1-3 positions

-He says he is a great defender and loves playing defense. Also, that he is a good facilitator and mid range shooter.

Got what we needed. Interested to know how we came across him and how it stayed so hush hush.

We've only been recruiting him for 2 weeks
I see that. Still in this world it is hard to keep things quiet. No news of him coming for a visit or anything.

Yeah, you're right about that info, I was thinking that Scott Padgett must have really beat out some thumpers for ET; I would contend that Evan Taylor seems like a good fit, though. I'm just glad NU has a 4th guy -- a taller guard -- to compete for minutes in the back court & ET has actually played a fair amount at the D-1 level.

Got what we needed. Interested to know how we came across him and how it stayed so hush hush.

We've only been recruiting him for 2 weeks
I see that. Still in this world it is hard to keep things quiet. No news of him coming for a visit or anything.

I knew we were looking at a JUCO but didn't know who or when. They did a pretty good job of keeping this under wraps.

Serious question: Do we think he is a better college basketball player than Nick Fuller?

Tai, Anton, Watson, Morrow, McVeigh, Jacobson, Palmer, Roby, Horne, and Jordy are all perceived to be good D1 talent by everyone here on the board. So unless Taylor is a real steal I'm sure he slides in behind those 9 guys in terms of talent. Fuller has only ever shown flashes once I think (Maryland his RFr. Year).

Serious question: Do we think he is a better college basketball player than Nick Fuller?

Tai, Anton, Watson, Morrow, McVeigh, Jacobson, Palmer, Roby, Horne, and Jordy are all perceived to be good D1 talent by everyone here on the board. So unless Taylor is a real steal I'm sure he slides in behind those 9 guys in terms of talent. Fuller has only ever shown flashes once I think (Maryland his RFr. Year).

regardless of how good evan will be, we needed another guard. He probably won't play much unless tai, anton, or glynn get injured.

Is he going to be a graduate transfer candidate next year?  

This will only be his 3rd year in college so highly doubtful he would graduate. His redshirt remains though so it's possible.

Oh yeah, I am stupid.  I was thinking that there was a sit out transfer year when he left Samford when thinking that might be possible.  Obviously, not the case. 

People would have killed Tim for having 2 scholarships open this year.  Between the back to back seasons of freshman PG transfers, Benny's graduation, White's transfer, and Palmer having to sit we needed a guard for this season.  As long as everyone realizes we need depth with fairly capable players they should be happy he is here and will hopefully give us serviceable minutes for the next 2 seasons.

This is a quote that Miles & Co. must have grabbed on to & held on for dear life. Getting a viable back court mate who can play minutes at the D-1 level this late in the process is no small task. I am glad that Evan Taylor is a Husker. ET seems like he will fit well into what the NU team concept is in whatever role he earns in Lincoln.

Just to clarify, me asking if he is a better college basketball player than Fuller isn't to knock the kid. Obviously he fills an important role and provides depth at a position that badly needed it. I'm just trying to figure out what we are getting in Evan Taylor.

Just to clarify, me asking if he is a better college basketball player than Fuller isn't to knock the kid. Obviously he fills an important role and provides depth at a position that badly needed it. I'm just trying to figure out what we are getting in Evan Taylor.

Read the Rivals story that Robin Washut tweeted out, a lot of info in it: https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/huskers-add-juco-guard-taylor

2 Thoughts:

B. Would've preferred a 5th year guy as opposed to tying up that spot for 2 years

The 5th year market basically looks like week 6 of a going out of business sale...picked over.

It was either this or yet another freshman reach.

I must have missed it...where is our former 5th year Sr playing next season?

2 Thoughts:

The 5th year market basically looks like week 6 of a going out of business sale...picked over.

It was either this or yet another freshman reach.

I must have missed it...where is our former 5th year Sr playing next season?

It's not a week before schools start again so you didn't miss it.

People would have killed Tim for having 2 scholarships open this year.

Yes folks would have been upset.  For me not that there was 2 because White left him in a major bind with his d-bag move, but that once again we were going to play a year on self induced probation being a player short.  Again, I don't want the staff to fill the last spot just to fill it, but filling it with a kid that is Div 1 good means better players to practice against which makes you a better team over all.  As for young Mr Taylor, welcome to the Husker family.

2 Thoughts:

Or potentially 3 years as he could redshirt this year if needed.  He has 3 years to play 2 seasons.

We needed another guard once AWIII and Evelyn left strictly for depth.  We had three eligible guards - Watson, Webster, and Gill - once AWIII left.  Assuming any one of them had to sit out a game for injury or had foul trouble, Miles would have only had Laws (walk on) or McVeigh (possible starting SF now that AWIII is gone) to play the 2. If Taylor can play 5-15 minutes of solid defense a night, I think he will be a good fit. 

People would have killed Tim for having 2 scholarships open this year.  Between the back to back seasons of freshman PG transfers, Benny's graduation, White's transfer, and Palmer having to sit we needed a guard for this season.  As long as everyone realizes we need depth with fairly capable players they should be happy he is here and will hopefully give us serviceable minutes for the next 2 seasons.

It's for sure better than leaving the scholarship vacant IMO.  He may turn out to be a kid that can help us..especially if he can give us 5-10 minutes of solid play each game.  Worst case, if it doesn't work out...he's asked to transfer after the season ends.  Lengthy guard....Mo recruiting him, my guess is the staff sees Taylor as someone who can come in and help out on the defensive end.