I keep trying to talk myself out of it ...

I mean, Shavon really is a lot to replace.  He didn't just score a lot of points.  It was the way he scored.  He was able to get to the rack as good as just about anyone we've ever had.  He was our inside game.  We didn't have a big post with offensive skills to dump the ball down to, so if we needed points in the paint, it was basically up to Shavon to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim.  Which he did with impressive regularity considering defenses had to be geared to stop him.

But now, not only do we lack Shavon but we're also missing the defensive presence of Benny Parker and the depth in the post that Jacob Hammond might have provided.  Instead, we have a dearth of real guards, including an unproven Louisville transfer.  And we have a true freshman post who's going to try to come in here and be better than the 6'10" kid who just left?  Really?

And this with a team that just scraped by for a 16-18 record last year?

Yet ... in spite of those factors, I just can't help but feel like we're damn near there, dude.

That poll I posted almost a year ago?  I voted back then that we were a year away with a legit post.

I don't plan on changing my vote.

We might not have a lot of depth at the pair of guard spots, but the guards we do have are talented.  And athletic.  And I'm convinced they can hold their own in this conference.

That freshman center?  He's raw, yet.  But you see him do things in his film that show he has a great foundation to build on.  First, he's got fantastic size and length.  Second, he's actually fairly athletic.  When he runs, he runs like a runner runs.  That might sound like a redundancy, but it's not.  His stride is smooth, like a runner.  He's not clumsy.  Third, he has great, soft hands and a nice touch.  He needs to get stronger around the basket and improve his footwork, develop a couple of go-to moves, but he's got a great foundation.

At the 4, we almost have an embarrassment of riches.  Seriously.  Compared to any Husker team you've seen in the last 15 years, this one has a glut of kids who can play including a pair of Rivals 150 members and another kid who plays like he should have been a Rivals 150 guy.  I still think Horne is a dark horse candidate to make an impact this year.

And I haven't even talked about Andrew White, Isaiah Roby and Jack McVeigh yet.

I'm sorry, I just can't talk myself out of being optimistic about this upcoming season.  I've tried, but it just ain't happening.

I am not too concerned with the offense.  Quite frankly, I believe we will score in bunches.  The concern is on the defensive end and whether we can adjust to the various looks and talent we will see.  What we have missed over the past couple years is an eraser in the back row.  I love our 4's, but our defensive success will be driven by our "new big"

Shavon is/was a very good player.   But I think we replace him and then some.   Maybe not with just one guy but sum of all parts type deal.  

And for as good as he was.....as good as he was against Michigan State, Purdue and some others...he had some real clunkers too.   I also think the team lots of times, stood around and watched Shavon.  

People forget that McVeigh was pretty solid in Shields's absence during those 4 games.

As far as Parker is concerned....I still don't understand where this belief that Benny was this great defensive player comes from.   I never saw that.   I saw a guy who could create some havoc using his quickness and short stature in short bursts....but also a guy that routinely got beat, or had his size exposed at times on defense like any other defender.    He's a guy, with all due respect, that is replaced immediately with the combination of Tai, Watson's experience and Gill. 

Assuming good health, I see just too much potential, too many options out there for this team to not be significantly better than last year.  

I tend to shake my head when I hear Shavon be so undervalued. It will take 3-4 guys to equate the impact of one Mr. Shields. That is a HUGE loss for the program. And he was a 3-year captain. He was the glue for this squad. He was a primary reason that NU won 2 games in the Big Ten tourney. I think NU beats Ohio St and at least 1 other when he missed those 4 games. The 1 or 2 more wins would have been the difference between post-season and no post-season.

I tend to shake my head when I see that Shavon was undervalued. It will take 3-4 guys to equate the impact of one Mr. Shields. That is a HUGE loss for the program. And he was a 3-year captain. He was the glue for this squad. He was a primary reason that NU won 2 games in the Big Ten tourney. I think NU beats Ohio St and at least 1 other when he missed those 4 games. That was the difference between post-season and no post-season.

Just because one thinks he's not irreplaceable doesn't mean he's undervalued.   TP was a more decorated player (first team all conference player, higher scoring average) and most people felt we'd be better this year than last despite losing him.

Shavon was a terrific player for us.   But that doesn't mean we'll be worse because he's gone.   We're adding more talent, depth and experience at the other 4 positions and don't exactly have a lack of talent waiting in the wings at his spot.  

I tend to shake my head when I see that Shavon was undervalued. It will take 3-4 guys to equate the impact of one Mr. Shields. That is a HUGE loss for the program. And he was a 3-year captain. He was the glue for this squad. He was a primary reason that NU won 2 games in the Big Ten tourney. I think NU beats Ohio St and at least 1 other when he missed those 4 games. That was the difference between post-season and no post-season.

Just because one thinks he's not irreplaceable doesn't mean he's undervalued.   TP was a more decorated player (first team all conference player, higher scoring average) and most people felt we'd be better this year than last despite losing him.

Shavon was a terrific player for us.   But that doesn't mean we'll be worse because he's gone.   We're adding more talent, depth and experience at the other 4 positions and don't exactly have a lack of talent waiting in the wings at his spot.  

By the way, I didn't say that SS is "irreplaceable." But the notion that Shavon's impact can be easily dismissed is balderdash.

By the way, I didn't say that SS is "irreplaceable." But the notion that Shavon's impact can be easily dismissed is balderdash.

Who has said it was easily dismissed?    I see people acknowledging that you have a talented sophomore point guard in Watson who will have an increased role....a senior in Webster who came on big down the stretch, a talented guy in Gill being added to the mix, our leading scorer returning in White who will be on a mission, a guy in McVeigh who filled in nicely as a true frosh for Shields in the four games he replaced him, guys in Jacobson and Morrow who played lots as true freshmen out of position, extremely talented freshmen coming in in Roby, Horne and Jordy.    There is a lot of talent there to pick up the slack by committee

Who has said it was easily dismissed?    I see people acknowledging that you have a talented sophomore point guard in Watson who will have an increased role....a senior in Webster who came on big down the stretch, a talented guy in Gill being added to the mix, our leading scorer returning in White who will be on a mission, a guy in McVeigh who filled in nicely as a true frosh for Shields in the four games he replaced him, guys in Jacobson and Morrow who played lots as true freshmen out of position, extremely talented freshmen coming in in Roby, Horne and Jordy.    There is a lot of talent there to pick up the slack by committee

I've read it many times on this & other sites on the interwebs. It's sickening to think that Shields hasn't received the utmost respect for his contributions. Shavon basically held together Miles & Co.'s 1st four years at NU. He was THE glue for the entire program. And, to prove that point, it takes an army of other players to pick up the slack.

Shavon is/was a very good player.   But I think we replace him and then some.   Maybe not with just one guy but sum of all parts type deal.  

And for as good as he was.....as good as he was against Michigan State, Purdue and some others...he had some real clunkers too.   I also think the team lots of times, stood around and watched Shavon.  

People forget that McVeigh was pretty solid in Shields's absence during those 4 games.

As far as Parker is concerned....I still don't understand where this belief that Benny was this great defensive player comes from.   I never saw that.   I saw a guy who could create some havoc using his quickness and short stature in short bursts....but also a guy that routinely got beat, or had his size exposed at times on defense like any other defender.    He's a guy, with all due respect, that is replaced immediately with the combination of Tai, Watson's experience and Gill. 

Assuming good health, I see just too much potential, too many options out there for this team to not be significantly better than last year.  

Great post and I couldn't agree more with your comments about Parker.  I know he gets a lot of love on this board but I posted many times that the negatives with him outweighed the positives.  Seemed like a great kid and well liked but he is very replaceable on the court. 

Shavon was a very good player but was pretty one dimensional and not very consistent at times.  You do hate to lose players like Shavon but honestly, I think we will be a better overall team without him next year. 

Just realized that starting this year, it will be entirely Miles recruits as Benny and Shavon was the last 2 from the Sadler era. 

I've read it many times on this & other sites on the interwebs. It's sickening to think that Shields hasn't received the utmost respect for his contributions. Shavon basically held together Miles & Co.'s 1st four years at NU. He was THE glue for the entire program. And, to prove that point, it takes an army of other players to pick up the slack.

Shields played an important role in raising the profile of this team and we don't make the tournament without the 3 headed scoring punch of TP, Shields, and Walt P.  However, no matter who you are at some point you will leave just like everyone before you and everyone after you. No matter how much you or anyone else might care about a guy he eventually has to be replaced.  This is a conversation about how we're going to do that and people are going to have varying opinions on how easy or difficult this might be, ok?

Great post and I couldn't agree more with your comments about Parker.  I know he gets a lot of love on this board but I posted many times that the negatives with him outweighed the positives.  Seemed like a great kid and well liked but he is very replaceable on the court. 

Shavon was a very good player but was pretty one dimensional and not very consistent at times.  You do hate to lose players like Shavon but honestly, I think we will be a better overall team without him next year. 

Just realized that starting this year, it will be entirely Miles recruits as Benny and Shavon was the last 2 from the Sadler era. 

I mention sparingly (because I get roasted for it everytime) that I’m a lifelong Notre Dame football fan, and I still follow the team very closely.  Well Notre Dame just had a multi-year captain/former walk-on/”quaterback of the defense” linebacker graduate by the name of Joe Schmidt. Funny enough, ND football fans and Nebrasketball fans have been having identical debates about Schmidt-the-linebacker and Parker-the-point-guard for the past 4 years.  Both were effort guys who had all the intangibles that fans love.  And yet both were incapable of performing the primary functions of their positions, primarily due to physical limitations.  

Long story short, the linebacker debate was put to rest by a recent national publication ranking all seniors, by position, playing major college football.  And in the entire country, Schmidt was ranked dead last at linebacker.  Which makes me wonder…how many senior PG/SG/combo guards, playing major college basketball last year, would you say were worse than Parker?  I can’t think of one.  So I guess my point is that teams will always have seniors to replace, and almost always the replacement is an unproven commodity.  But if the guy that we’re replacing is worse than the guy that every other team in America is replacing, then odds are we’re gonna be OK.

As for Shields…well those are some bigger shoes to fill.

I mention sparingly (because I get roasted for it everytime) that I’m a lifelong Notre Dame football fan, and I still follow the team very closely.  Well Notre Dame just had a multi-year captain/former walk-on/”quaterback of the defense” linebacker graduate by the name of Joe Schmidt. Funny enough, ND football fans and Nebrasketball fans have been having identical debates about Schmidt-the-linebacker and Parker-the-point-guard for the past 4 years.  Both were effort guys who had all the intangibles that fans love.  And yet both were incapable of performing the primary functions of their positions, primarily due to physical limitations.  

Long story short, the linebacker debate was put to rest by a recent national publication ranking all seniors, by position, playing major college football.  And in the entire country, Schmidt was ranked dead last at linebacker.  Which makes me wonder…how many senior PG/SG/combo guards, playing major college basketball last year, would you say were worse than Parker?  I can’t think of one.  So I guess my point is that teams will always have seniors to replace, and almost always the replacement is an unproven commodity.  But if the guy that we’re replacing is worse than the guy that every other team in America is replacing, then odds are we’re gonna be OK.

Is there a support group for being a ND fan in anything? :)

Is there a support group for being a ND fan in anything? :)

There should be!  I'm pretty eclectic with my collection of teams, and most of them have rewarded my loyalty with many years of futility.  :blink:

-Notre Dame for college football, because I was 5 at the time and five-year-olds like shiny helmets.

-Phillies for Major League Baseball, because I was given a Phillies hat as a kid and I got Pat Burrel's autograph when he played in the College World series right after getting drafted by Philly

-Huskers for college basketball and baseball, because I spent my college years at DONU.

-Sporting KC for Major League Soccer, because they're kinda local-ish.

Shavon is/was a very good player.   But I think we replace him and then some.   Maybe not with just one guy but sum of all parts type deal.  ...

I tend to shake my head when I hear Shavon be so undervalued. It will take 3-4 guys to equate the impact of one Mr. Shields.  ...

I'm glad to see you two are in nearly complete agreement here.  :)

I think it's nice to see how nustudent has evolved over the years.  I remember when he used to be in a state of near panic about replacing the likes of "Sack" and Ade.   ;)

yes, I am perfectly aware the two situations are not nearly the same - we're recruiting at a completely different level, yada yada...I'm just yanking your chain nustudent...

There should be!  I'm pretty eclectic with my collection of teams, and most of them have rewarded my loyalty with many years of futility.  :blink:

-Notre Dame for college football, because I was 5 at the time and five-year-olds like shiny helmets.

-Phillies for Major League Baseball, because I was given a Phillies hat as a kid and I got Pat Burrel's autograph when he played in the College World series right after getting drafted by Philly

-Huskers for college basketball and baseball, because I spent my college years at DONU.

-Sporting KC for Major League Soccer, because they're kinda local-ish.

I was at one of those pat burrell games... only thing about it that i remember is that it was on a tuesday because that's the day we always went.

Shavon is/was a very good player.   But I think we replace him and then some.   Maybe not with just one guy but sum of all parts type deal.  ...

I tend to shake my head when I hear Shavon be so undervalued. It will take 3-4 guys to equate the impact of one Mr. Shields.  ...

Exactly. Shavon can not be replaced with "one guy."

No one here has said he will be.

What about this guy?

23-dos-equis-ad.w529.h529.jpg

He might, though. If Anton Gill is the player he was built up to be on the practice floor last season or if Roby is the dominant freshman NU can never seen to get in the program, then you may very well see him replaced with "one guy". Sports can be funny that way sometimes.

He might, though. If Anton Gill is the player he was built up to be on the practice floor last season or if Roby is the dominant freshman NU can never seen to get in the program, then you may very well see him replaced with "one guy". Sports can be funny that way sometimes.

'Could be' replaced by one guy and "will be" done by one guy are obviously two different things. We'll have to wait & see, I suppose. Shavon is top 5-10 all-time in many categories at Nebraska, and it wasn't due to 'could be' projections. He actually did it.