Does this sound like a .500 team to you?

about the only thing I agree with in that article is that its a crucial year for Miles.

-no mention of Gill?

It's funny how Shavon Shields was under-appreciated by the media outside of Nebraska.

UNTIL WE HAVE TO REPLACE HIM!

Then, it's OMG Shavon Shields!

That seemed like a very lazy article. Seriously, MM mentioned Okafor in two different segments of the piece. Weird bit of "not knowing what exactly to write so might as well scribble out a couple of choice Okafor segments from nearly 4 years ago on the recruiting trail."

I think we can count on AWIII for double digits most every night.

Who else is going to step up and deliver?  Gill, Webster, and Watson seem the most likely.  Is Gill the real deal? Can Tai be consistent? Can Watson be a lot more efficient? Is someone else to be relied on? What happens if we lose even one of theses guys to an injury?

We're finally shaping into a competent shooting team and in that regards replacing Shields and Parkers minutes shouldn't be a big drop off in our overall shooting percentage.  However, Shavon led the team in FTA on a team that didn't get to the line much. Is Gill going to be a contact monster?  I'm not sure who else will be and given we're at best an above average shooting team we really need to look at winning the turnover or rebounding game.

Our offense was the most efficient of the Miles era and with the return of AWIII should be around the same if not slightly improve.  However, it was our defense that killed us last year. Can we finally quick enough and/or have enough length to defend without putting everyone on the FT line and/or get killed by the 3?

Who else is going to step up and deliver?  Gill, Webster, and Watson seem the most likely.  Is Gill the real deal? Can Tai be consistent? Can Watson be a lot more efficient? Is someone else to be relied on? What happens if we lose even one of theses guys to an injury?

We're finally shaping into a competent shooting team and in that regards replacing Shields and Parkers minutes shouldn't be a big drop off in our overall shooting percentage.  However, Shavon led the team in FTA on a team that didn't get to the line much. Is Gill going to be a contact monster?  I'm not sure who else will be and given we're at best an above average shooting team we really need to look at winning the turnover or rebounding game.

Our offense was the most efficient of the Miles era and with the return of AWIII should be around the same if not slightly improve.  However, it was our defense that killed us last year. Can we finally quick enough and/or have enough length to defend without putting everyone on the FT line and/or get killed by the 3?

The biggest thing in my opinion for NU to be successful defensively is that we have to hope and pray that between Jordy, a healthy Morrow and Jacobson we can clog the paint and defend the paint better without having to double in the post as much.  Having a big frame like Jordy in the middle hopefully will help us in that area.  When you double the post, you leave shooters open which leads to good shots.  When you double the post, you leave cutters open which leads to stupid fouls.  If our bigs can do a better job of defending and clogging the lane that will help a TON.  We were a poor rebounding team at times as well last year so hopefully after another year in the system for our bigs, a healthy Morrow and a big man in Jordy that will improve us.

Outside shooting will definitely be a concern as well.  We kind of know what we will get in White.  We need guys like McVeigh, Gill and Webster to really improve their outside shots.  Maybe Fuller can specifically focus on only 3 point shooting and give us some nice minutes as well at times.  Even Watson I think will improve on 3 point shooting from year to year.  I'm excited about the pieces we have and I think it should be a fun season!  You have to think our freshman will only get better, stronger and mentally tougher after being thrown to the wolves last year.  I like this sophomore group a LOT and think they will be a good building step for our program.

I think Webster and Watson are givens.   Both were pretty solid, especially Tai during conference play.  Watson had the occasional off game...but for a true frosh...wasn't horribly up and down once he started playing a bunch.

I think a big thing for us is that we won't have total liabilities out there anymore.   Parker was an offensive liability.  Sure he average 4.5 ppg but other teams basically ignored him on the floor as he was no threat to really do anything.   You start ignoring guys like Webster, Watson, Gill, McVeigh and they can put up 12-15 real quick. 

I think that's where we see the biggest jump this year.   Not as many dead minutes.  Last year you had Hammond, Fuller and Parker contributing 35-40 minutes per game between the 3 of them.   This year, you will have far far better players taking those minutes.

As far as the free throws...same thing applies.   We might not have someone who gets to the line as much as Shields...but the overall increase from every other position will make up for it. 

How well we defend the post might be the single biggest determining factor for how well the boys do this coming season.

A healthy Jacobson with a year under his belt moves us forward a bit.  A healthy Morrow with a year under his belt moves us forward that much more.  A 6'11" freshman who weighs 270# and carries it like he's a swimsuit model and who has a legit 7'5" wingspan and who had a very solid senior season in prep school should leave us in really pretty decent shape down low.

And I didn't even mention Horne who I think could be a very interesting factor in our big man rotation.

I just wonder if, from where we stand today, a guy like Horne would consider a redshirt? Someone's gonna get caught in a numbers crunch. Maybe two guys. I know the coaches are really on Horne, but I wonder if a RS year might be a really good option for him.

Right now, I don't envision that anyone will redshirt.  We are one short in scholarship players at 12, and one of them (Palmer) has to sit out a year.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet... However in the article the author clearly points out that Nebraskas defense struggled last year. We all know how painful it was watching guys seemingly run cross court to double in the post since we had no size. Due to all the doubling and rotations, our defense was subpar at best. I try not to make too many predictions, but I will make this one. We will have a top 50ish defense this year(pending jordy plays 15 minutes). His size allows us to stay with our man and play more fundamentally sound defense

I just wonder if, from where we stand today, a guy like Horne would consider a redshirt? Someone's gonna get caught in a numbers crunch. Maybe two guys. I know the coaches are really on Horne, but I wonder if a RS year might be a really good option for him.

Right now, I don't envision that anyone will redshirt.  We are one short in scholarship players at 12, and one of them (Palmer) has to sit out a year.

When was the last time we ran a 10 man rotation? Unless Miles and Co. is going to drastically change the style of play, I doubt we see one this year.

When was the last time we ran a 10 man rotation? Unless Miles and Co. is going to drastically change the style of play, I doubt we see one this year.

We certainly had more than ten dudes who played last year, though.  Right?

In regular rotation? No. Closer to 8. Watson, White, Parker, Shields, Webster, McVeigh, Jacobson and Morrow (when healthy). I don't consider guys like Fuller and Evelyn who saw a few minutes sparingly as in the rotation. I'd listen to an argument for Hammond, but he didn't play regularly either and saw decreasing minutes as the season wore on.

In regular rotation? No. Closer to 8.

I understand that, but to say that because Miles only plays eight guys in a regular rotation doesn't mean the tenth guy will redshirt.  Right?

In regular rotation? No. Closer to 8.

I understand that, but to say that because Miles only plays eight guys in a regular rotation doesn't mean the tenth guy will redshirt.  Right?

Of course not, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't either. There's an argument either way, and I'm not saying my way is right, just that I'd be curious to see if he does.

The inclusion of Malcolm Laws instantly ruins the credibility of the writer. However, she has a much different look on the potential of this team than the ESPN guy had.

The inclusion of Malcolm Laws instantly ruins the credibility of the writer. However, she has a much different look on the potential of this team than the ESPN guy had.

Hey come on guys he is a returning player.