Does this sound like a .500 team to you?

So, Nick Bahe, in his program that neither I nor virtually anyone else in this state listens to, apparently advised Andrew White against returning to Nebraska for his senior season because he'd basically just be holding up a .500 team.  Does this sound like the makings of a .500 team to you?

• Last year, we finished one game under .500.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad accounted for 32% of our scoring.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad accounted for 35% of our rebounding.
  • True freshmen on last year's sqaud account for 37% of our assists.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad account for 27% of our starts and 38% of the team's minutes played.  That's almost 4 out of every 10 minutes played.  That means that, on average, 2 of the 5 players on the floor for us throughout the season were true freshmen.
  • We return 4 of our top 5 scorers and 6 of our top 8.
  • We lose a hell of a player in Shavon Shields, but we add 3 freshmen who were all Rivals 150 members and a junior transfer who was a Rivals top 50 out of high school.
  • One of those Rivals 150 freshmen is 6'11" and 270# with a legit 7'5" wingspan.

I ask you again:  Does this sound like the makings of a .500 team to you?

So, Nick Bahe, in his program that neither I nor virtually anyone else in this state listens to, apparently advised Andrew White against returning to Nebraska for his senior season because he'd basically just be holding up a .500 team.  Does this sound like the makings of a .500 team to you?

• Last year, we finished one game under .500.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad accounted for 32% of our scoring.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad accounted for 35% of our rebounding.
  • True freshmen on last year's sqaud account for 37% of our assists.
  • True freshmen on last year's squad account for 27% of our starts and 38% of the team's minutes played.  That's almost 4 out of every 10 minutes played.  That means that, on average, 2 of the 5 players on the floor for us throughout the season were true freshmen.
  • We return 4 of our top 5 scorers and 6 of our top 8.
  • We lose a hell of a player in Shavon Shields, but we add 3 freshmen who were all Rivals 150 members and a junior transfer who was a Rivals top 50 out of high school.
  • One of those Rivals 150 freshmen is 6'11" and 270# with a legit 7'5" wingspan.

I ask you again:  Does this sound like the makings of a .500 team to you?

I think we should be better than .500......FYI, according to Bahe he said he would be surprised if a team that finished under .500 last year and lost its best player(Shields) finishes above .500 the following year.  He said something like 9 wins in the non-con and 7 conference wins sounds about right for next year. 

Like most of our transfers, I think some people will be surprised at how good Gill is....and, I don't think he's really taking into the account that our freshmen from last year should all improve on their numbers. 

FWIW, I listened to the segment, he didn't advise AW to do anything one way or the other.

Yeah, I don't think he was saying..."AW III...don't come back."  But, when I heard it...it seemed as if the segment was more centered around why he may not come back as to....why he should he come back.  And in that...I'm paraphrasing here Nick said something like "Let's be real here...no disrespect to Nebrasketball, buttttttttt I dont know if the situation in coming back to Nebraska is attractive to Andrew White.  Let's be real...more than likely they will be a .500 team next year...going to be battling to stay out of the play in games in the Big 10 tournament."  "If he comes back...without Shields, White is going to have to shoulder the load on once again...a team that will likely be .500 at best."

Well, most of the time, teams in that situation end up there. It's not a completely unreasonable take on his part. I think NU will be considerably better than that this year, but it wouldn't be completely shocking if NU ended up 8-10, would it? History would indicate it wouldn't.

Well, most of the time, teams in that situation end up there. It's not a completely unreasonable take on his part. I think NU will be considerably better than that this year, but it wouldn't be completely shocking if NU ended up 8-10, would it? History would indicate it wouldn't.

Not at all...again, atleast for me it rubbed me the wrong way as the talk seemed to be more centered on around why he wouldn't pick Nebraska as opposed to some of the good reasons as to picking Nebraska. 

Not at all...again, atleast for me it rubbed me the wrong way as the talk seemed to be more centered on around why he wouldn't pick Nebraska as opposed to some of the good reasons as to picking Nebraska. 

It seemed to me that, and he said this several times in the segment, that he was surprised he hadn't already withdrawn and was trying to figure out why that was the case. Didn't seem vindictive to me. Nick's in a hard spot considering he has to appear to be partial to both schools, while carrying obvious ties to CU. That's much easier said than done. Heck, hosting a one host talk show is hard enough as it is. Few can pull it off well.

I think you look at the youth last year, the fact that they were only blown out maybe twice with lots of close games, look at the returnees, the additions, the depth, and then say no way it is a .500 team next year. No way. Now if they are...que Lanigan.

To be fair..I do think the non-con may be more difficult this year.  Which is a good thing if we want to position ourselves for a NCAA appearance.  But, we need to find away to win 10+ Big Ten games.  This could be a pretty fun team to watch with all the pieces we have. 

I was going by this from the other thread:

Listening to Nick Bahe...he REALLY does not want AWIII to come back.

Why does Nick care what White does? Does he think the Huskers finally beat his blue squad if he returns?

Well he had Robin Washut on after his initial thoughts on AWIII...and it's news. He basically stated every reason why he shouldn't come back and concluded...1. It could possibly hurt him to come back because he has to be "the man" next year and 2. Why come back play on a team that will likely be .500 next year?

Well, so he said it would likely be a .500 team.

And my question wasn't should Andrew White come back or should Andrew White care what Nick Bahe thinks.  My question was does this sound like the makings of a .500 team?

I say no, it doesn't.

That's fair. It can be characterized in a number of different ways. Based on what we've seen the past couple of years, it's fair to look at this team skeptically in terms of making that next step. I think that's not an unreasonable take.

I think you look at the youth last year, the fact that they were only blown out maybe twice with lots of close games, look at the returnees, the additions, the depth, and then say no way it is a .500 team next year. No way. Now if they are...que Lanigan.

Yeah, this.

And I think there are a lot of reasons we were only .500 that have nothing to do with the make-up of the current roster.

We had decent players at 4 out of 5 spots last year.  But we didn't have a guy who could really hold his ground in the post, offensively or defensively.  We really got exposed in the post at times.

Now, give Jacobson and year of experience under his belt and more time in the weight room and at the training table and I think he could really be a different player this coming season.  And swap Hammond for Tshimanga and I think we're waaaaaaaay ahead in the low post.  Way ahead.

I think we're better at point.  I think we're better at shooting guard.  Better at a lot of things.

Love the positivity!  My only concern is that Jordy is raw.  He is not Sergei, he has a huge upside, but he is raw.

This will be a team hopefully that:

• the opposing defense must account for all of our players offensively.
  • we don't have to double the post all of the time.

This is what gets us over the hump.

This. Despite the record, I thought our team played well last year. We were competitive and showed promise. We just got murdered inside. Next year we actually field a team that should be as big or bigger than everyone we play. It's a huge luxury to be able to go 6'4", 6'7", 6'8", 6'8", 6'11" and actually gain athleticism.

I don't think there's any way we're below a bubble team. I would consider that our bottom line.