Tai Webster Named to New Zealand National Team Pool

hhcmatt

Tai dropped 25 to go with 11 against New Zealand and I think I even saw him post up a smaller guard.

He still doesn't always make the best decisions but he seemed a bit more assertive than in past years where he'd defer to the older players. He had some tough finishes in the paint and the one in the highlight is against a NBA-esque center in Andray Blatche.

Should be fun to watch tomorrow when he'll get to guard Tony Parker at points.

i'll be honest.... he looked good in those highlights.  we'll know more the next game -- he puts up one of those against tony parker and he'd make even the most cynical nba scout blink a little.

Tai dropped 25 to go with 11 against New Zealand and I think I even saw him post up a smaller guard.

He still doesn't always make the best decisions but he seemed a bit more assertive than in past years where he'd defer to the older players. He had some tough finishes in the paint and the one in the highlight is against a NBA-esque center in Andray Blatche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljX0FsNbbUg

i'll be honest.... he looked good in those highlights. we'll know more the next game -- he puts up one of those against tony parker and he'd make even the most cynical nba scout blink a little.

I like this Webster kid! Hard to believe he is a senior.

i'll be honest.... he looked good in those highlights.  we'll know more the next game -- he puts up one of those against tony parker and he'd make even the most cynical nba scout blink a little.

I thought that Parker might guard him because he's the point but I wonder if he and Corey Webster will be guarding each other as they're both a little shorter than Tai.

I honestly don't know how Miles watches these games and doesn't implement a more wide open offensive strategy. He's always done better in that type of a system. I think a lot of our guys would do well with that kind of a move.

Maybe he didn't get my tweet with the link

he'll play part of the game against parker at least. another pretty solid nba guard, evan fournier from the magic is on their roster too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Fournier

let's be honest -- france's backcourt blows any B1G backcourt he's faced out of the water.  like i said, if he puts up those numbers against france even some cynical nba scouts will notice.

In other international news, Jorge Brian Diaz is playing for team Puerto Rico while enjoying a fairly successful career in the Puerto Rican national league.  Aleks Maric is an alternate for Australia and potentially plays if Bogut still hasn't recovered from the NBA Finals. It doesn't look like Ade Dagunduro plays anymore.

Puerto Rico is trying to qualify while Australia is already in.

Eh... come on man root for the kid.  you only get so many shots at the olympics.

and the experience against top flight guards can only help us this year.  the more games the merrier.

Totally rooting for him but that team isn't good enough to make the Olympics

Here is the live stream of today's game vs Philippines 

http://live.shwidget.com/static/freeplay/385506873401260.html

probably not, that's why rooting against him is so he can be back here for training is so weak.  would take a pair of guys shooting out of their mind against france in the knockout stage to win that bracket IMO.

The sooner he gets here, the less time we have to spend worrying about whether he's coming back or not.

A couple things I've noticed that Tai hasn't improved on

Fast break - Doesn't make great passing decisions

Shot Clock - No sense of urgency. When he has the ball with little time on the shot clock he looks to pass into offense instead of taking a shot. 

I think Tai is a big contributor and plays a lot of minutes but if we need him to be one of our top 2 players and/or need to rely on him for crunch time it's going to be a rough year.

new zealand had a double digit lead in the 4th and got beat... tai with 9 and 8 boards, 2 assists and 2 steals, brother corey with 21.

they play canada in the semifinals.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/fiba/138995-fiba-oqt-france-nz-recap

interesting how according to this, tai was the most efficient player on the court with a ton of nba players :

http://www.fiba.com/oqt/philippines/2016/0707/New-Zealand-France (click on game story toward middle of page)

I am not an expert, but quite frankly, I believe Tai Jack is doing a damn fine job this summer.  He looks to be improving his skills.

He needs to learn to drive with a left hand dribble.

Way to work a Standhardinger reference into a thread, Norm.  :)