Beckner leaving

ajb5856

Normy, that was Michael Beasley and he promised that he himself would score 50 on Nebraska. He had 17, and they lost in Lincoln by double digits.

If I remember correctly weren't a majority of those 17 late into the game? I think i remember us having Beasley completely bottled up in the single digits for scoring for a long long time.

I think the VAAAAAASST majority of the time that people talk about a losing coach getting out-coached, they are just talking out of their asses and don't really know.

It's very difficult for even a trained eye to discern the difference between a coach having a bad plan versus the players failing to execute the plan versus the plan worked but we just aren't good enough to win against a team with that much _________.

Agree. There are some coaches who are really a cut above in terms of adjusting to game situations (I think Dana Altman is a good in-game example). And there are coaches who know how to put together a mentally tough team that can grind its way to victory (Izzo comes to mind, except when playing us).

But mostly it's roster management. The earlier mention of Walt coming out and McDermott reacting is a good example. Walt probably had to come out because he was tired or drifting. There wasn't an adequate replacement, so we got beat on the play. You could find a lot of times this year where Miles seemed to push the wrong button, but most of the time his hand was forced by what he had available on his roster and his knowledge of what they could do.

I don't think his bench coaching is an issue, except maybe in the sense he doesn't create a sense of calm purpose for the team (the downside of losing his composure about officiating). The roster as it stands now is an issue, although I'm hoping our remaining scholarships change that.

As for Miles...there must be something to beating Michigan State each year, right? And something to consistently falling short vs. Iowa? 

Just between those two particular teams you have some significant style differences as McCaffery runs a much higher tempo offense and his defense minimizes the success of the dribble-drive. Also Mich St hasn't been drawing a lot of contact the last 3 years which is something that Nebraska is all to happy to hand out.

Speaking of style we got SMOKED this year by teams that shoot at make a lot of 3s.  Did Beckner never get the scout and gameplan against any of these teams or do these types of teams simply best expose the shortcomings of our roster?

As for Miles...there must be something to beating Michigan State each year, right? And something to consistently falling short vs. Iowa? 

Just between those two particular teams you have some significant style differences as McCaffery runs a much higher tempo offense and his defense minimizes the success of the dribble-drive. Also Mich St hasn't been drawing a lot of contact the last 3 years which is something that Nebraska is all to happy to hand out.

Speaking of style we got SMOKED this year by teams that shoot at make a lot of 3s.  Did Beckner never get the scout and gameplan against any of these teams or do these types of teams simply best expose the shortcomings of our roster?

Off topic a bit...The only time I heard of one of the coaches having the scout for a game was Beckner.  I know he didn't have the scout for every game, but he was the only one I ever heard mentioned.  Weird.

Off topic a bit...The only time I heard of one of the coaches having the scout for a game was Beckner.  I know he didn't have the scout for every game, but he was the only one I ever heard mentioned.  Weird.

That sort of praise publicly would certainly get one's name out there in addition to boosting the ol' ego.

Doc Sadler outcoached more than a few coaches. Doc did not outrecruit them, however, by a long shot. 

I totally agree.  Doc is the perfect example of why recruiting is infinitely more important than in-game coaching and prep.  Doc is an excellent in-game coach, and his ability to coach transition defense is inspiring.  He also regularly got the absolute best effort out of his players...

And approximately none of that mattered when we played anyone with mostly 3-4* athletes.  

The best college coach is the best recruiter, period.  Xs and Os are completely overrated at the college level.  Calipari is basically a GM.  

Doc Sadler outcoached more than a few coaches. Doc did not outrecruit them, however, by a long shot. 

I totally agree.  Doc is the perfect example of why recruiting is infinitely more important than in-game coaching and prep.  Doc is an excellent in-game coach, and his ability to coach transition defense is inspiring.  He also regularly got the absolute best effort out of his players...

And approximately none of that mattered when we played anyone with mostly 3-4* athletes.  

The best college coach is the best recruiter, period.  Xs and Os are completely overrated at the college level.  Calipari is basically a GM.  

No, I've heard Calipari at clinics. He can recruit but the guy knows his stuff. Just because you are really good at one thing, doesn't mean you have to be weak someplace else. Lot's of what he does works and is unique. When you start to see lots of other coaches imitating what he does, you know he has the respect of his peers (for his x's & o's at least.) You watch how his team plays. They do things backwards than most teams but for a good reason. They have a progression every possession. If they don't score they just continue down the progression: 1) Push the break, 2) sometimes secondary break, 3) no setting up but right into motion, 3) no pulling it out and run a set play the last 8-10 seconds on the shot clock. By never pulling it out and resetting, they don't give the defense a chance to reset. Most people run a play and then go into motion if they don't score. Meaning at the end of the shot clock you have to individually create a shot (which he has had lots of players who could do that). If you run motion after the break there's no let up and then from there you go right into a set which can get the shot the coach wants at that time. You have a plan for the last part of the shot clock instead of just counting on individuals to create on their own. Now that means since you are running motion and there is no reset for the play, every player has to know every play from every position because you don't know where the motion is going to put you when it's time to run the play Cal or the point calls.

Doc did a pretty good job identifying talent, but a below average job landing the talent.  If I recall correctly, Doc or someone within the administration resisted going after players in AAU programs.  I know that sounds crazy, but I recall conversations or an article or two on the subject.  Towards the end of his regime, that started to change. 

If anything goes right with his disastrous 3rd year class, Doc's likely still at NU. Never seen a guy in a power program get more with less, and his work with the Mites should be, at least in my mind, legendary. That team was very close to making the tourney.

Miles' biggest enemy will be what ultimately tanked Doc--impatience and an eye on the calendar. Most coaches know they have x amount of time to turn things around, even at a program as moribund as NU. You get one screw-up on recruiting, but no more. Miles' next whiff will be his last, which I don't think is right, but it'll affect his judgment as each year passes towards that "deadline".

All that said, to return to the topic, I think it's going to be harder to get a really good assistant right now for this reason. The deeper a coach gets into  rebuild without actually accomplishing the process, the higher the likelihood that the next year will be their last. If I'm a good assistant, I'm looking for two things (other than a personal compatibility with the HC): the first is opportunity to further my own career if a program succeeds. The second is some base longevity at the gig. When you start getting down to your last two or so years, that opening for an asst gets a lot less attractive. To put it another way: when Kenya took the gig, it was a great gig. Now? About half of that quality, unless you believe that this crop of players is the one that ends the futility and cements the coach into career security (which we're all hoping it will be).

You had to bring up that Northwestern game. To me that was when we started to spiral a bit.

The first one?  We weathered that storm pretty well.  I really think losing the home game to Michigan after our winning streak and beating MSU really sent us on a tailspin.  If we could have found a way to win that one, who knows.  Although we still would have had to play a few games without Shavon.  

Beckner had the scout for the game tonight.

3/10 vs Wisconsin (#27), (W, 70-52) - Huskers Shock Badgers; Advance to B1G Quarter Finals for 1st timemfclap.gif

(EDIT:  Huskers defeated Wisconsin 70-58 - thanks Auroran redface.gif)

Beckner scouted the game vs Wisconsin that we won.  (Maybe we should have had him scout all the games,)

• 2 weeks later...