Palmer is N

Maybe Miles has given up on the true center and is planning on getting ahead of the curve on "small ball".

I personally think our roster is set up pretty good for the switch.

Can "small ball" be successful on the Big Ten? Offensively...I think we probably could be.  Defensively? Unlikely.  That was very evident last year.  Due to our lack of size we had to constantly double down...leaving wide open three point shots.  That's not going to work.  We need a rim protector in the worst way. 

Michigan was okay with it.  Kind of...

Just going off memory...but Mich seemed a bit longer than us.  With that said, Michigan finished last in FG % defense in conference play.  I didn't watch enough Wolverine games to say that was due to their lack of size but I'm guessing it didn't help.  We were 10th by the way...but 13th in three point FG defense.  Mich actually did a solid job defending the three but really struggled defending inside the three point line. 

Maybe Miles has given up on the true center and is planning on getting ahead of the curve on "small ball".

Can "small ball" be successful on the Big Ten? Offensively...I think we probably could be.  Defensively? Unlikely.  That was very evident last year.  Due to our lack of size we had to constantly double down...leaving wide open three point shots.  That's not going to work.  We need a rim protector in the worst way. 

i think we may have to, really if Jacobsen can develop his outside shot more, and pack an extra 10-15lbs, i think we can be sufficient, but we definitely need more outside shooting. 93.7 had a good take on this topic yesterday afternoon.

I don't understand why you guys are so worried about what position guys are. You take good players if they want to come. We're working hard to get a big man, we'll either get one or we won't - still have to have quality skill position guys to score the basketball. 

Sorry, that's not going to cut it anymore.  It's essential Miles lands a solid center this year for our team's future and his future as the head coach of Nebraska.  If he doesn't...things will likely stay status quo with us hovering around the bottom of the league.  If we land Palmer...great, but it's not going to help us any this upcoming year.  If we could land someone like Palmer and a big to help next year that would be ideal.  Striking out again on landing a big and carrying over a scholorship(again)..will not be a good look.  It's time to get it done.   

Getting Palmer and getting a big man are not mutually exclusive things. You can't just recruit to help you for next year. Have to look at the future and fill roster spots with good basketball players, regardless of need sometimes. We can recruit Palmer and still be trying our damnedest to get a big. Both things can happen. 

I don't understand why you guys are so worried about what position guys are. You take good players if they want to come. We're working hard to get a big man, we'll either get one or we won't - still have to have quality skill position guys to score the basketball. 

Sorry, that's not going to cut it anymore.  It's essential Miles lands a solid center this year for our team's future and his future as the head coach of Nebraska.  If he doesn't...things will likely stay status quo with us hovering around the bottom of the league.  If we land Palmer...great, but it's not going to help us any this upcoming year.  If we could land someone like Palmer and a big to help next year that would be ideal.  Striking out again on landing a big and carrying over a scholorship(again)..will not be a good look.  It's time to get it done.   

Getting Palmer and getting a big man are not mutually exclusive things. You can't just recruit to help you for next year. Have to look at the future and fill roster spots with good basketball players, regardless of need sometimes. We can recruit Palmer and still be trying our damnedest to get a big. Both things can happen. 

Obviously this would be ideal....assuming that big is someone who can immediately provide good minutes next year. 

Can "small ball" be successful on the Big Ten? Offensively...I think we probably could be. Defensively? Unlikely. That was very evident last year. Due to our lack of size we had to constantly double down...leaving wide open three point shots. That's not going to work. We need a rim protector in the worst way.

I'd assume it could work anywhere if done right. I mean the Warriors won the NBA title with 6'7 Draymond Green guarding the best 7 footers in the league. Now Green is obviously an exceptional talent but so we're the 7 footers he matched up against.

To go small I would say we need a handful of skilled PFs. Which I think we will have in Morrow, Jacobson, Horne, and McVeigh (more of a stretch 4).

You're also gonna need a handful of shooters. Depending on how good of a shooter Gill is and how McVeigh, Webster, and Watson develop their shot we could have enough. Realistically we are probably another AW3 short from being set there.

You would also want good gaurds who are athletic and can get up and down the floor. Tai and Gill are good athletes while Watson is just a good ball player plain and simple.

I'm no expert in the style by any means but I would say we are just as close to being a complete small ball team than we are a complete traditional bball team.

6'0"

6'3"

6'7"

6'7"

6'8"

when your next 4 off the bench are all 6"4"-plus is not a small college lineup.

This ^ it's comes down to toughness and fundamentals if our multitude of 6'7 , 6'8 can be fundamentally sound in the inside (defense, boxing out for a rebound ) will be ok,Michigan St never has 7'0 fters but they are sound on the inside ....

That being said we need another shooter or two, and if a 6'10 guy wants to come here I wouldn't be opposed to it

6'9" is fine with me if he weighs close to a muscular 250lbs.  Otherwise, you at least need a 6'10" body to defend the post.

I agree, we have great size if we have the option to defend the post one-on-one.  

I'm surprised we didn't go after Michigan's Ricky Doyle (6'9" 250lbs) considering we almost landed Max Bielfeldt last year.  

I'm still not worried though.  I think TM will get this thing done, and I think next year will be really fun to watch defensively when we don't have to double the post.  

I am really intrigued by this 6'9" juco Center who shoots 38% from three point range. As basketball Jones said in that thread, he might not be an explosive athlete, but man can he shoot. Then, of course, we need another guard for when Andrew White and Tai Webster graduate. And I am perfectly OK with having this Miami kids sit out a year and be that guy. So I would be all right if we finished our recruiting and filled the two open spots with those two guys.

I suppose it depends on why he wants to visit St. Joes. It looks like there will be plenty of shooting guards on that roster so he runs the risk of being beat out of the rotation again if those guys are any good.

As far as Palmer goes, he seems like the sort of guy who chooses to transfer to Nebraska...a guy who put in 2 years, didn't gripe about the lack of playing time, put in thought about who is coming in and where he fits, and there is a need here in 2 years.  He's already been to Nebraska as part of the Miami squad that played here this year so he's at least familiar.  I really like our chances here.

Looked at the Miami board for more information on Palmer, and they all seem pretty happy to see him leave. 

Quotes that arise include:

"Shooting guard who can't shoot"

"Non-athletic and a minus defender, better off without him"

"I'd always yell at my TV when I saw he was coming in"

Maybe he was just pressing too hard to make things happen in his limited minutes, but I definitely think one of the big things we are going to need in two years is a knockdown shooter.. Not sure how i feel about this one.

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/palmer-transferring/98107

Typical... If someone transfers, you'll always have the good riddance posters. (Petteway) probably wasn't a mannnnn I can't believe he's leaving guy.

That's expected even if they don't transfer.  What have people around here said about Benny Parker and Tai Webster?

Hell, what were people saying about Aleks Maric?  They were always complaining that he would miss "bunnies."

How much would we like to have an Aleks Maric now?

Typical... If someone transfers, you'll always have the good riddance posters. (Petteway) probably wasn't a mannnnn I can't believe he's leaving guy.

That's expected even if they don't transfer.  What have people around here said about Benny Parker and Tai Webster?

Hell, what were people saying about Aleks Maric?  They were always complaining that he would miss "bunnies."

Just as long as he wouldn't miss any 'bunnies' - :ph34r:  :blink:  ;)  :P

I would take Jorge Brian Diaz ten times over right now.