Hard to read article about Nebraska kid Daum at South Dakota Stare

bkamler

It would have been great if we could have convinced Daum to walk on, with the prospect of him earning a scholarship if he worked into the rotation.  I don't buy the "Kimball is practically in Colorado" excuse.  This is a home state talent.

And speaking of Kimball, you don't have to travel much west of there to find a 6'10" 2017 3-star recruit sitting right on our border.  We are mentioned in his profile, but I don't get the impression we are recruiting him very hard.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/169258

Hunter Thompson is headed to Creighton. wE are always a step behind on big men..

Just so i know how grizzled to be going forward will the states of Wyoming and South Dakota also be used in the hindsight bias game?

Hmm, I thought Hunter Thompson was an American journalist and author, and the founder of the gonzo journalism movement??

Didn't he also write "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?

Wow, nothing like a 2* 6-9 "center" to really get the juices flowing around here, eh?

Will he redshirt?

Forget the stars for a minute and consider this - apparently Colorado, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego, Utah St and Wyoming all thought he was good enough to offer before his Junior year was completed.  Who knows who else might have offered this summer.  I don't think he's chopped liver.

It would have been great if we could have convinced Daum to walk on, with the prospect of him earning a scholarship if he worked into the rotation.  I don't buy the "Kimball is practically in Colorado" excuse.  This is a home state talent.

And speaking of Kimball, you don't have to travel much west of there to find a 6'10" 2017 3-star recruit sitting right on our border.  We are mentioned in his profile, but I don't get the impression we are recruiting him very hard.

Hunter Thompson is headed to Creighton. wE are always a step behind on big men..

Just so i know how grizzled to be going forward will the states of Wyoming and South Dakota also be used in the hindsight bias game?

I think I have my answer.

Not on my account, since I don't like the hindsight bias game anyway.

But, in fairness to the kid, he's no stiff.  There are things he does in that video I posted, both inside and outside, that I've never seen Jake Hammond do.

But, in fairness to the kid, he's no stiff.  There are things he does in that video I posted, both inside and outside, that I've never seen Jake Hammond do.

We're talking about a kid who no one would care about except that he's going to Creighton from a state that borders Nebraska in a thread about a Nebraska kid no one would care about except that he's beaten almost everyone's expectations at a Summit League school. I get why this is conversation is taking place but it's a lot more Omaha talk radio than it is relevant on whether we're going to win a NCAA tournament game because I don't think anyone mentioned in this thread will be playing in the NBA.

In other words, I'm ok with Miles and Co. swinging for the fences in KC, Chicago, etc and missing on the occasional Nebraska prospect because over-focusing on our state is going to get him fired.

We're talking about a kid who no one would care about except that he's going to Creighton from a state that borders Nebraska in a thread about a Nebraska kid no one would care about except that he's beaten almost everyone's expectations at a Summit League school. I get why this is conversation is taking place but it's a lot more Omaha talk radio than it is relevant on whether we're going to win a NCAA tournament game because I don't think anyone mentioned in this thread will be playing in the NBA.

In other words, I'm ok with Miles and Co. swinging for the fences in KC, Chicago, etc and missing on the occasional Nebraska prospect because over-focusing on our state is going to get him fired.

I wish i could give this more up votes

*QUE

Mic Drop... walk off stage with SWAG

Please put my replies on the subject of this kid in the context of responding to someone who seemed to imply that the kid is a 2-star stiff who'll need to redshirt.

I don't disagree with you about Miles swinging for the fences.  I don't disagree that no one would care except he committed to Creighton.  Except that someone posted about him before me and so I took a look at him and I happened to disagree with their assessment of the kid regardless of whether he's committed somewhere or not.

My comments only pertain to whether he's a 6'9" 2-star stiff who will need to redshirt or whether he looks like a legit prospect.  Mark me down as thinking this random kid, irrespective of where he's committed, who's been discussed previously in this thread, looks like a better prospect than some we've taken, so I'm not going to look down my nose at him and think we're too good to consider a kid like that.

That's all I'm saying.

And I'll add this:  I suspect the Thompson kid is a better prospect at this point than the Daum kid was at the same age.

And I'll add this:  I suspect the Thompson kid is a better prospect at this point than the Daum kid was at the same age.

I will agree with this statement Norm.

But on his film there is not a kid on there that he isn't at least a head taller.  He has a nice game and I would have been okay with him, but I have to agree with Dimes on this one.

Also my nose has been broken too many times for me to clearly look down it. B)

I will agree with this statement Norm.

But on his film there is not a kid on there that he isn't at least a head taller.  He has a nice game and I would have been okay with him, but I have to agree with Dimes on this one.

Also my nose has been broken too many times for me to clearly look down it. B)

I'm not disagreeing with what Dimes said. 

My interest in talking about the kid is kind of like Dimes bringing up Sai Tummala.  It's not that I think we would be better with this kid just like Dimes wasn't lamenting not getting Tummala. 

But the subject of the kid came up and discussing his game seemed germane.

Now, about the other kids in the video being a lot shorter, that might be true, but it's not relevant.  At least not to me.

The height of the other team has no bearing on this kid's ability to shoot off a screen or demonstrating 3-point range with a good-looking stroke.  He either has that or he doesn't regardless of how tall the defender is.  Similarly, his spin dribble in the lane is a skillset that he possesses no matter how tall his opponent is.  And you haven't seen Hammond demonstrate the ability to do that even in a practice setting with no defense.

All the blocks the kid had can be attributed to the size of the opponent but I took that into account.  What was more impressive to me was his ability to spot up facing the basket and also that spin move in the lane.

Norm, I was the one bringing up the 2* stuff...and it was mostly just snark and an attempted jab at CU and their "5-star" kid that ended up redshirting this year.

Yes, I do realize that he was getting looks from Colorado and a few other Mountain West-type teams, but it also should be noted that for whatever reason it appears that in recent weeks interest (from Colorado, at least) seemed to drop off the ledge to nothing.  I follow Colorado's recruiting to a certain degree so I remember discussion about him from last summer or fall.

But the drop-off in interest from Colorado is really telling to me, particularly in light of the fact that Josh Scott is graduating and I don't believe they have any bigs to replace him...in fact, they may be in more dire straits than us in that regard after this year, they have two guys coming back that are 6' 9" and none that tall coming in.  They're gonna be *small*.

Now that's not to say Hunter won't amount to anything.  He very well may.  But dimes said it all.  If it were us he was committing to, we probably wouldn't be doing any backflips around here about it.

We took Michael Jacobsen this year and he was a tight end playing basketball.  His best offers were from Mo Valley schools for basketball, which is a step up from the Summit but is a mid major conference none the less.  I would say he worked out pretty well. Taking Jacobsen is not much different than if we offered Daum or Thompson, and Thompson had better offers than Michael.  

I would have been on board  with us pursuing Thompson because we have struggled mightily recruiting big men, and have been basically on probation with an open schollie being the norm.  Rather than leaving it open, in hindsight pretty much all of us would have been happy if Daum was our plan C kid.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

I just hope we can finally nail down a center (or two) this recruiting season.  The longer we fail at this, the longer these conversations will pop up.  

We took Michael Jacobsen this year and he was a tight end playing basketball.  His best offers were from Mo Valley schools for basketball, which is a step up from the Summit but is a mid major conference none the less.  I would say he worked out pretty well. Taking Jacobsen is not much different than if we offered Daum or Thompson, and Thompson had better offers than Michael.  

I would have been on board  with us pursuing Thompson because we have struggled mightily recruiting big men, and have been basically on probation with an open schollie being the norm.  Rather than leaving it open, in hindsight pretty much all of us would have been happy if Daum was our plan C kid.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

I just hope we can finally nail down a center (or two) this recruiting season.  The longer we fail at this, the longer these conversations will pop up.  

I respectfully disagree with your take on MJ.  If you would flip the sentence, then we would be in agreement.  MJ is a basketball player who played TE in football.  His HS running mate was the football player who played BB.  His teammate went to Iowa on a FB scholarship.

MJ was not a high level recruit, but he was recruited to one extent or another by Iowa State (both football and BB), Iowa, Creighton, UNI and numerous other mid-major universities.  Watching him play in HS told me that he could play and play well in the Power Five conferences.

I respectfully disagree with your take on MJ.  If you would flip the sentence, then we would be in agreement.  MJ is a basketball player who played TE in football.  His HS running mate was the football player who played BB.  His teammate went to Iowa on a FB scholarship.

MJ was not a high level recruit, but he was recruited to one extent or another by Iowa State (both football and BB), Iowa, Creighton, UNI and numerous other mid-major universities.  Watching him play in HS told me that he could play and play well in the Power Five conferences.

Plus, a lot of basketball people thought Jacobson could grow to be 6'9" or 6'10".  Jacobson actually was the number 1 basketball player in the state of Iowa, according to 247sports.  Thompson could very well be a good player, but he might be a 2nd or 3rd choice if others didn't pan out. 

I think, for sure, Thompson will need a redshirt, and put on some weight.  Much like Hammond needed a redshirt. 

I don't know that he'll need a redshirt year. I don't think he'd be the rebounding rim protector that we need right out of the box to come in and start right away next year, but he looks like the kind of kid that you bring in and develop. He's not the guy we need right now but if we had a quality starting center already in our stable I wouldn't have a problem taking this kid.

Plus, a lot of basketball people thought Jacobson could grow to be 6'9" or 6'10".  Jacobson actually was the number 1 basketball player in the state of Iowa, according to 247sports.  Thompson could very well be a good player, but he might be a 2nd or 3rd choice if others didn't pan out. 

I think, for sure, Thompson will need a redshirt, and put on some weight.  Much like Hammond needed a redshirt.

Jacobson has been listed at 6'8" since his sophomore year of high school, should have been a good sign he was done growing.

Hammond didn't just need a redshirt, he needed about three of them.