Hard to read article about Nebraska kid Daum at South Dakota Stare

bkamler

In today's Journal:

Mike Daum, 6'9, 230 pound center for South Dakota State in NCAA tournament.

From Kimball, Ne.

Was All State Class C-1

Took unofficial visit to NU his Jr. HS season but lost contact with coaching staff and never discussed walking on at NU.

Was offered scholarships by Lehigh, North Dakota U., Idaho State, Wyoming and SDSU.

Mother was All Anerican BB player at Wyoming. Father played football there and played part of one season for HoustonOilers. Good genes.

He currently leads SDS in scoring at 15.2 and rebounding at 6.1 while playing about 29 minutes a game as sixth man.

Shooting 42% on threes and 56% overall.

Looks like a huge miss by NU especially when you look at our dire need for a Big.

The gene pool this young man came from speaks volumes to me about his potential. I think but could be wrong that he would have walked on at NU if encouraged to do so.

his rivals page shows he had around 8 D1 offers, so it seems unlikely he would have walked on here.

but like i said earlier, we've had an open scholarship for the last 4 years.

The gene pool this young man came from speaks volumes to me about his potential. I think but could be wrong that he would have walked on at NU if encouraged to do so.

his rivals page shows he had around 8 D1 offers, so it seems unlikely he would have walked on here.

but like i said earlier, we've had an open scholarship for the last 4 years.

I think it is so much harder to get a kid to walk on anywhere than it was in the past.  College tuition costs have exploded and increases have far exceeded the cost of inflation.  Quite simply, many families simply cannot afford college for their kids and when presented with a free option are more apt to take the free option than straddle a kid or themselves with ridiculously high levels of student loan debt that can be a burden for up to 20 years after graduation.

It would have been great if we could have convinced Daum to walk on, with the prospect of him earning a scholarship if he worked into the rotation.  I don't buy the "Kimball is practically in Colorado" excuse.  This is a home state talent.

And speaking of Kimball, you don't have to travel much west of there to find a 6'10" 2017 3-star recruit sitting right on our border.  We are mentioned in his profile, but I don't get the impression we are recruiting him very hard.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/169258

The article is hard to read?  Grammar issues?  Spelling?  Font?  Is it your glasses?

Here are the first two paragraphs:

When Mike Daum arrived at South Dakota State before the 2014-15 basketball season, the 6-foot-9 Kimball native weighed 250 pounds, preferred shooting three-pointers and lacked post-playing experience, as well as overall strength.

In today's Journal:

Mike Daum, 6'9, 230 pound center for South Dakota State in NCAA tournament.

From Kimball, Ne.

Was All State Class C-1

Took unofficial visit to NU his Jr. HS season but lost contact with coaching staff and never discussed walking on at NU.

Was offered scholarships by Lehigh, North Dakota U., Idaho State, Wyoming and SDSU.

Mother was All Anerican BB player at Wyoming. Father played football there and played part of one season for HoustonOilers. Good genes.

He currently leads SDS in scoring at 15.2 and rebounding at 6.1 while playing about 29 minutes a game as sixth man.

Shooting 42% on threes and 56% overall.

Looks like a huge miss by NU especially when you look at our dire need for a Big.

I will just say that it is easy for anyone to sit here 2, 3, 4 years after a guy has been in college and say "that was a huge miss" when at the time people would be up in flames that "we are fighting a school like SDSU, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Lehigh for a recruit"

If that was the case... Shavon Shields was a "huge miss" for most all other schools in the nation.

Was it his dad that used to own Sweep Left in Lincoln?

I think that was John Dutton.  I could be wrong.

John Dutton owned Dutton's Den.  It was actually Mark Doak that I was thinking of...http://journalstar.com/business/local/sweep-left-s-play-called-again/article_56f0b08d-c4e7-5693-8104-83e8c2a17932.html

The article is hard to read?  Grammar issues?  Spelling?  Font?  Is it your glasses?

When Mike Daum arrived at South Dakota State before the 2014-15 basketball season, the 6-foot-9 Kimball native weighed 250 pounds, preferred shooting three-pointers and lacked post-playing experience, as well as overall strength.

Well, he can and he is. 

It would have been great if we could have convinced Daum to walk on, with the prospect of him earning a scholarship if he worked into the rotation.  I don't buy the "Kimball is practically in Colorado" excuse.  This is a home state talent.

And speaking of Kimball, you don't have to travel much west of there to find a 6'10" 2017 3-star recruit sitting right on our border.  We are mentioned in his profile, but I don't get the impression we are recruiting him very hard.

Hunter Thompson is headed to Creighton. wE are always a step behind on big men..

Hunter Thompson is headed to Creighton. wE are always a step behind on big men..

He didn't hold a Husker offer

Well, he can and he is. 

And good for him.  But you can't look through the lens of hindsight and say we should have offered based on how he turned out.

Even the coaches at SDSU weren't convinced he'd ever be able to play for THEM let alone US.

Just so i know how grizzled to be going forward will the states of Wyoming and South Dakota also be used in the hindsight bias game?

Just so i know how grizzled to be going forward will the states of Wyoming and South Dakota also be used in the hindsight bias game?

Hmm, I thought Hunter Thompson was an American journalist and author, and the founder of the gonzo journalism movement??