• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 5 - UCLA


    uneblinstu
    • CyK2LRMVIAEcRLS.jpg

    Not gonna put a ton of thoughts out there right now. NU did a lot of things right tonight but weren't quite good enough to get it done. Some mental errors and the inability to finish at the rim is gonna have to be something they have to get figured out. Still a few too many mental errors, too.

    Glynn continues to be a stud.

    Morrow had another big day.

    Webster, too.

    Those three are the core.

    Jack and Gill were basically non-factors.

    Thought Jordy, Roby and Horne had some nice moments even if it didn't necessarily turn into points.

     

    Loved the fight they showed on both ends. I hope they can bring that back with them on Sunday and get two wins out of this deal. That would be a really good thing.


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback




    58 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

    I couldn't get over how well they made their jump shots. It was almost nauseating.

    Agree - they hit the open shots, but even when we forced them into what I thought would be a tough shot, they hit a bunch of those too. They can really score, and I can't imagine too many teams holding them down like we did ... and it seems pretty silly to say giving up 82 points is holding a team down, but I think we did a solid job on that end all night.

     

    Felt like we were in too big of a hurry inside in the first half, afraid to get shots blocked. Played without fear in the 2nd half, was fun to watch and a nice step forward.

     

    I also thought Roby made some strides the last 2 nights, seems to be getting more comfortable. Horne is still swimming in it, especially on defense, but I like his potential too. Jordy was up and down, but you can see the potential there. They just need experience, going to be good players for us.

     

    Considering UCLA's length and their inability to play physical in the man to man, they may have found their defensive go-to in playing zone - that decision may have won them the game, as we were really rolling up to that point. Although I thought we rebounded offensively pretty well against their zone.

    Edited by throwback

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, jason2486 said:

    I couldn't get over how well they made their jump shots. It was almost nauseating.

     

    We knocked them down from #1 in eFG% to #3.  It's a team of elite shooters.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Give us one of their stretch bigs that can hit the long 2 and 3's and that's the difference in that game. Having at least one of those would help us immensely

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    31 minutes ago, Jugular said:

    Give us one of their stretch bigs that can hit the long 2 and 3's and that's the difference in that game. Having at least one of those would help us immensely

    Roby will be that guy eventually 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    UCLA is a legitimate Final Four contender and the Huskers fought hard to the end.  Very impressed with the composure of this team.  Great to see a confident Tai Webster out there.  Glynn Watson has developed into a legitimate scoring threat. Ed Morrow has been a BEAST down low.  I love this team and they have exceeded my expectations (so far) with the exception of Anton Gill (major disappointment) and Michael Jacobson (not taking it to the basket).  Season is still young, but so far so good.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    To me Morrow is the difference for this team.  We all knew Watson and Webster could do what they are doing so far we just had to hope for some consistency in doing it, but Morrow was someone we really didn't know what to expect from because of the injury.  Sure he had a couple games where he scored some easy buckets but so far the powerful rebounding and strong post moves against guys much bigger than him are so impressive.  Its something we saw from him in HS highlights but that doesn't always translate to the next level especially when you start going up against teams with guys a lot bigger and more talented than you, which says a lot about him.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

    To me Morrow is the difference for this team.

     

    His touch around the rim is phenomenal. He's like the anti-Aleks Maric.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 hours ago, 49r said:

    Just checking KenPom now and he has the game listed as "Semi-Away", while all the other Wooden Classic games are "Neutral".  So Ken agrees with me there.  FYI, we dropped one spot to 75.  UCLA is KenPom #20.

     

    Seems to me the KenPom rankings should have gone the other way!   i.e. Huskers should have improved a point or two; and Bruins deteriorated.  It must be the 11 point winning spread.  But that was because the Huskers played to Win!  Had they played to lose, the point spread would have been much less.  UCLA certainly did not Dominate the game; If the Huskers had been 'on' their shooting & FT's the game would have been well with-in reach, and it might have been UCLA having to play 'catch-up!'

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    32 minutes ago, Red Don said:

     

    Seems to me the KenPom rankings should have gone the other way!

     

    It's all relative to everything. We're currently back up to 74 without even playing

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

    To me Morrow is the difference for this team.  We all knew Watson and Webster could do what they are doing so far we just had to hope for some consistency in doing it, but Morrow was someone we really didn't know what to expect from because of the injury.  Sure he had a couple games where he scored some easy buckets but so far the powerful rebounding and strong post moves against guys much bigger than him are so impressive.  Its something we saw from him in HS highlights but that doesn't always translate to the next level especially when you start going up against teams with guys a lot bigger and more talented than you, which says a lot about him.

    I would perhaps say "many of us knew" as there more than a few doubters of Tai.  I have also heard some question Glynn's ability to be a consistent scorer.  Otherwise, I agree with your point :)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

    To me Morrow is the difference for this team.  We all knew Watson and Webster could do what they are doing so far we just had to hope for some consistency in doing it, but Morrow was someone we really didn't know what to expect from because of the injury.  Sure he had a couple games where he scored some easy buckets but so far the powerful rebounding and strong post moves against guys much bigger than him are so impressive.  Its something we saw from him in HS highlights but that doesn't always translate to the next level especially when you start going up against teams with guys a lot bigger and more talented than you, which says a lot about him.

     

    I agree that he's the difference.  I don't agree that he is going up against anyone more talented than him, nor do I think he will all season.  Bigger?  Barely, when you consider a 7' wingspan, but definitely not in strength.  He's the most athletic big I've ever seen at Nebraska.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, LK1 said:

     

    I agree that he's the difference.  I don't agree that he is going up against anyone more talented than him, nor do I think he will all season.  Bigger?  Barely, when you consider a 7' wingspan, but definitely not in strength.  He's the most athletic big I've ever seen at Nebraska.  

     

    Agree to disagree.  Depending on skill sets and everything all combined I think theres plenty of guys he will face more talented than him.  Thats not taking anything away from him by any means because I think he will hold his own against them but still feel theres plenty of guys he will match up with that are better overall players.  TJ Leaf, Miles Bridges, Thomas Bryant, Ethan Happ, Isaac Haas, and Caleb Swanigan are guys he has or will play that are better than him.  Then the guys that just because of pure size may have a better matchup like Thomas Welch, Udoka Azubuike, Sidy Djitte, Trevor Thompson, and Reggie Lynch.  Now IMO being mentioned on a list with all of these guys is pretty darn good because those are some good names.  Its something we haven't bee able to claim in awhile.  By the time he is done here he will be something special thats for sure.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    22 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

     

    Agree to disagree.  Depending on skill sets and everything all combined I think theres plenty of guys he will face more talented than him.  Thats not taking anything away from him by any means because I think he will hold his own against them but still feel theres plenty of guys he will match up with that are better overall players.  TJ Leaf, Miles Bridges, Thomas Bryant, Ethan Happ, Isaac Haas, and Caleb Swanigan are guys he has or will play that are better than him.  Then the guys that just because of pure size may have a better matchup like Thomas Welch, Udoka Azubuike, Sidy Djitte, Trevor Thompson, and Reggie Lynch.  Now IMO being mentioned on a list with all of these guys is pretty darn good because those are some good names.  Its something we haven't bee able to claim in awhile.  By the time he is done here he will be something special thats for sure.

     

    Cool.  I know your knowledge of bigs is better than mine.  I'll keep an eye on those specific matchups.  Thanks for the input!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    16 hours ago, 49r said:

    Ohio State probably needs to bench McVeigh, they'll never beat Creighton playing this way.

     

    And quit running that stupid weave.  At least their coach doesn't tweet at halftime.  And doesn't crack jokes.  So they've got that going for them.  Which is nice.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

     

    And quit running that stupid weave.  At least their coach doesn't tweet at halftime.  And doesn't crack jokes.  So they've got that going for them.  Which is nice.

    #sarcasmfont 😉

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.


    Sign In Now