Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Amir Harris is N


    hskr4life
    • Dc3Td4QWsAIJoZr.jpg

       

      Huskers land the 6'5" class of 2018 PG from Hagerstown, Md

      Averaged 11.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 6.4 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.4 blocks per game as a senior 

      Amir also looked at Rhode Island, Oklahoma State, Auburn, SMU and Cal before selecting Nebraska

       

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    47 minutes ago, nustudent said:

     

    Johnon better.   This is a good fallback get.    Credit to miles for closing quickly in a bad deal

    I got no idea who is better because all I've watched is the short highlight clips, but it doesn't seem clear as to who the "experts" think is better either. 247 has Johnson slightly higher at the position ranked #20 vs. #28 in the nation among combo guards, Rivals lists them both as point guards and they have Harris higher at #32 nationally compared to Johnson's #42. I think right now it's a "wait and see" to determine which one is the better player. If you've seen more of them on tape or in person, I would defer to you.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, nustudent said:

    It should be a grad transfer big man regardless 

     

    Maybe Gates has some juice here but grad transfer big man for us hasn't been anything more than a role player which is maybe all we need.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

    I got no idea who is better because all I've watched is the short highlight clips, but it doesn't seem clear as to who the "experts" think is better either. 247 has Johnson slightly higher at the position ranked #20 vs. #28 in the nation among combo guards, Rivals lists them both as point guards and they have Harris higher at #32 nationally compared to Johnson's #42. I think right now it's a "wait and see" to determine which one is the better player. If you've seen more of them on tape or in person, I would defer to you.

     

    Personally, I like Johnson's quickness and explosiveness.   Not that Amir isn't, just that I think Johnson's is elite.  

     

    I'm also a little hesitant to buy in when guys have freakish measurables for their position.   6'5 point guards, 6'3" corner backs, 6'6" wide receivers.....of course thatd be great to find.....but everyone else is looking for that too.   

     

     

     

    Edited by nustudent

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

     

    Maybe Gates has some juice here but grad transfer big man for us hasn't been anything more than a role player which is maybe all we need.

     

     

    Our true posts are Jordy and Borchardt.   So yeah...a role player is more than enough.  

     

    Also think we have a bit more to sell this year.   Usually grad transfer guys want to win.   We potentially return the majority of the parts from a 22-win, 4th place Big 10 team.   Our angle can easily be that we have a ton of parts that we can surround him with and that guy is the missing piece.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

    I got no idea who is better because all I've watched is the short highlight clips, but it doesn't seem clear as to who the "experts" think is better either. 247 has Johnson slightly higher at the position ranked #20 vs. #28 in the nation among combo guards, Rivals lists them both as point guards and they have Harris higher at #32 nationally compared to Johnson's #42. I think right now it's a "wait and see" to determine which one is the better player. If you've seen more of them on tape or in person, I would defer to you.

    Agreed. Not for sure if rivals or 24/7 is more creditable but their is quite the difference in rankings on Amir. There was an article on rivals a few weeks ago that had Amir on the cusp of their 150 list I believe for what that’s worth. I believe the perception is Xavier is better based on highlight tapes which can be alil deceiving but he did play in a higher level of high school ball I think. I tend to look at who else offered them scholarships in which Xavier has alil higher quality offers IMO.  Myself I like Amir alil more based off of the things you can’t teach like height and length since their games seem very similar 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

    Agreed. Not for sure if rivals or 24/7 is more creditable but their is quite the difference in rankings on Amir. There was an article on rivals a few weeks ago that had Amir on the cusp of their 150 list I believe for what that’s worth. I believe the perception is Xavier is better based on highlight tapes which can be alil deceiving but he did play in a higher level of high school ball I think. I tend to look at who else offered them scholarships in which Xavier has alil higher quality offers IMO.  Myself I like Amir alil more based off of the things you can’t teach like height and length since their games seem very similar 

     

    Someone else can speak to how up to date these services are but 24/7 has Kezo Brown at 25 with interest from Nebraska and Kansas which seems like information from eons ago. Brown was hospitalized with mental issues, came back for a big junior year, committed to Chicago St., didn't play his senior year, and now will play in Lavar Ball's wacko pro league.

     

    Both Harris and Johnson had worked their way up the rankings their senior year and both would be 4 stars if they shot the ball better. Johnson was sold to us as the hardnosed leader PG that everyone looks to for leadership. What are we getting with Harris in that department?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Really difficult to predict how these athletes with similar skills, body types, personalities, etc. will compare against the other based upon third party evaluations and highlight films. Who will adjust best to living far from home, academic responsibilities, teammates, and other non-basketball factors? The most important comparison at this point is that one of these young men wants to play for Nebraska and the other didn't. That's enough for me for now. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, hal9000 said:

    A 6-5 point guard.  Me likey likey.  Looks like he's a stud on the defensive end as well.  

    As Bilas would say, "LENGTH LENGTH LENGTH LENGTH"

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Honestly, I like talent.  I like fit better.  This guy seems to have both.

     

    Length can't be taught and defensively ... think ron harper.  Harris is an inch shorter but you get the point... get a guy like that out top and you'll cause fits by default.

     

    You know one certain member of our staff has to be drooling thinking on that front.

     

    Fit matters.

     

    Xavier might be all that ... And no one doubts he will be good (that I have seen anyway).  This just seems a more natural fit for someone like molinari to groom into a defensive terror.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, nustudent said:

     

    Our true posts are Jordy and Borchardt.   So yeah...a role player is more than enough.  

     

    Also think we have a bit more to sell this year.   Usually grad transfer guys want to win.   We potentially return the majority of the parts from a 22-win, 4th place Big 10 team.   Our angle can easily be that we have a ton of parts that we can surround him with and that guy is the missing piece.

     

    If we think we need a body for this year I think we'd be better off perusing the Juco ranks for a Leslee Smith type.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

     

    If we think we need a body for this year I think we'd be better off perusing the Juco ranks for a Leslee Smith type.

     

    I'd be open to that.   I'd take Leslee in a heartbeat on this team.   But it also ties up a scholie for next year too.   I think the guy from Colorado wouldn't be terrible.   He'd be similar to Jordy and be able to give us competent minutes over Borchardt.   He's not great but he's better than Okeke and/or Abraham.

    I think the UMASS guy would be a nice get too.   Shot blocker and finisher.  Not much of a shooter.   That's fine.   We already have scorers, we need a guy who can finish when he gets the opportunity. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    50 minutes ago, nustudent said:

     

    I'd be open to that.   I'd take Leslee in a heartbeat on this team.   But it also ties up a scholie for next year too.   I think the guy from Colorado wouldn't be terrible.   He'd be similar to Jordy and be able to give us competent minutes over Borchardt.   He's not great but he's better than Okeke and/or Abraham.

    I think the UMASS guy would be a nice get too.   Shot blocker and finisher.  Not much of a shooter.   That's fine.   We already have scorers, we need a guy who can finish when he gets the opportunity. 

     

    Or does Miles save it for a mid semester transfer or does Gates have connections to someone?  I like the idea of a big to give us post defense and rebounding but if we go with Roby at the 5, Jordy will still get his minutes so I'm not sure how much a new big guy would play.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    38 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

     

    Or does Miles save it for a mid semester transfer or does Gates have connections to someone?  I like the idea of a big to give us post defense and rebounding but if we go with Roby at the 5, Jordy will still get his minutes so I'm not sure how much a new big guy would play.

    Personally, I hate the 'save for mid semester transfer' notion.   We've done that once in 6 classes.  Yes, I know we got Copeland out of it, but that's a small run of success and we may only get one season out of Copeland for it.  

     

    Don't sign a guy for the sake of signing him, so if it is open then it gives some flexibility.  But try your hardest to get someone now who can contribute as opposed to sacrificing it for the sake of something that has occurred 17% of the time thus far.   If you can't find it and have to eat it, then fine...it gives you the mid term option.  I just hate the concept of 'saving' one.   Especially this far in, to a program build.   We need depth and need to win now, otherwise there is no later.

     

    I think there are still definitely minutes to be found there.   Borchardt and Okeke combined to get around 6.5 minutes a game.   And they aren't very good.   And Jordy is far from a great player.  If you can find someone better than Okeke (shouldn't be hard to do) then it's not unrealistic to see that get to 6.5 minutes a game.   Also not unrealistic to find someone who can either push Jordy to improve or take some of his minutes as well.   Additionally, if you find someone serviceable, it lets you get more creative in using Roby and Copeland at the 3 & 4 along with a post at times. 

     

    Edited by nustudent

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, nustudent said:

    Personally, I hate the 'save for mid semester transfer' notion.   We've done that once in 6 classes.  Yes, I know we got Copeland out of it, but that's a small run of success and we may only get one season out of Copeland for it.  

     

    Don't sign a guy for the sake of signing him, so if it is open then it gives some flexibility.  But try your hardest to get someone now who can contribute as opposed to sacrificing it for the sake of something that has occurred 17% of the time thus far.   If you can't find it and have to eat it, then fine...it gives you the mid term option.  I just hate the concept of 'saving' one.   Especially this far in, to a program build.   We need depth and need to win now, otherwise there is no later.

     

    I think there are still definitely minutes to be found there.   Borchardt and Okeke combined to get around 6.5 minutes a game.   And they aren't very good.   And Jordy is far from a great player.  If you can find someone better than Okeke (shouldn't be hard to do) then it's not unrealistic to see that get to 6.5 minutes a game.   Also not unrealistic to find someone who can either push Jordy to improve or take some of his minutes as well.   Additionally, if you find someone serviceable, it lets you get more creative in using Roby and Copeland at the 3 & 4 along with a post at times. 

     

    All assuming Jordy is gone correct?  Jordy is exactly what you are saying we need at this point.  Not sure why you are completely writing him off?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    50 minutes ago, nustudent said:

    Personally, I hate the 'save for mid semester transfer' notion.   We've done that once in 6 classes.  Yes, I know we got Copeland out of it, but that's a small run of success and we may only get one season out of Copeland for it.  

     

    Don't sign a guy for the sake of signing him, so if it is open then it gives some flexibility.  But try your hardest to get someone now who can contribute as opposed to sacrificing it for the sake of something that has occurred 17% of the time thus far.   If you can't find it and have to eat it, then fine...it gives you the mid term option.  I just hate the concept of 'saving' one.   Especially this far in, to a program build.   We need depth and need to win now, otherwise there is no later.

     

    I think there are still definitely minutes to be found there.   Borchardt and Okeke combined to get around 6.5 minutes a game.   And they aren't very good.   And Jordy is far from a great player.  If you can find someone better than Okeke (shouldn't be hard to do) then it's not unrealistic to see that get to 6.5 minutes a game.   Also not unrealistic to find someone who can either push Jordy to improve or take some of his minutes as well.   Additionally, if you find someone serviceable, it lets you get more creative in using Roby and Copeland at the 3 & 4 along with a post at times. 

     

    No expectation that the FBI indictments will cause additional transfer opportunity?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

    No expectation that the FBI indictments will cause additional transfer opportunity?

    Maybe

     

    I'm more worried about adding pieces for this season than the future right now.   If this year doesn't go well, the future changes pretty dramatically.   We aren't far away.  Id just assume make sure we have all the pieces we need for this year as opposed to holding on to a low percentage shot next year,

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, big red22 said:

    All assuming Jordy is gone correct?  Jordy is exactly what you are saying we need at this point.  Not sure why you are completely writing him off?

     

    No assuming, everyone comes back.

     

    We need someone to fill post minutes alongside Jordy.   He's not exactly what I'm saying.   I certainly don't trust him to finish.   I certainly don't trust him to stay out of foul trouble.

    I'm not writing him off.   I'm also not betting/relying on him.   Even the times where he played well...he couldn't avoid serious foul issues.  

    Edited by nustudent

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, nustudent said:

     

    Personally, I like Johnson's quickness and explosiveness.   Not that Amir isn't, just that I think Johnson's is elite.  

     

    I'm also a little hesitant to buy in when guys have freakish measurables for their position.   6'5 point guards, 6'3" corner backs, 6'6" wide receivers.....of course thatd be great to find.....but everyone else is looking for that too.   

     

     

     

    He can't shoot is why others didn't look at him harder.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

    He can't shoot is why others didn't look at him harder.  

    That's my point.   There is an obvious flaw to his game.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I am not sure that Amir can't shoot.  It perhaps is a safe assumption that it isn't his greatest strength.  If you looked at his various video's, he was not placed in a position that he needed to shoot.  He defended, he penetrated, and he either scored or distributed the ball off of that penetration.  It looked to me that his handles were effective enough that nobody could defend him on the perimeter.  He also was willing to do the dirty clean up work.  

     

    A middle-aged wannabe coach can look at tape and say someone is this or that, but the body-of-work will not be gradable until he is on the floor with our team and our staff.  I do not think Amir is a sloppy second to Xavier, rather I believe we scored ourselves one of the top 200 players in the country who will complement our team moving forward.  

     

    And yes...we need another big.  I am hoping that our staff has one in their back pocket.  I have heard a rumbling,  that if true, will bring a smile to our collective faces.  But that rumbling may be more of a wish than a fact, so we will see if anything spills out in the next month...

    Edited by Huskerpapa

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×