uneblinstu postgame chatter...

Huskerpapa

Uneblinstu is out of pocket this evening and asked me to start this up...

- Nice game today, we played hard, it was a valliant effort, but we ran out of steam

- I know that Dylan takes some heat due to the appearance of over dribbling the rock.  But you know what, there are times the clock has to be run.  We do not have depth and someone has to take that role...it is Talley.  He had a good game today.  He hit some nice shots and played good defense.  Hard to find fault with someone busting his butt.

- Andre played pretty good defense, but he was absent on defense.  At one point it appeared that Dylan confronted Andre.  It could be fatigue, it could be the ankle, but dude, we need you.

- Ray played a good game. I would like to see him hit a higher percentage but the when he gets hot, it is fun to watch.  He also played good defense, he had a good all around game.

- Tyrance got some minutes.  He seemed to play aggressive...but man, is he outsized or what...but he is all we got right now, so hopefully he can play a consistent during this spell.

- Benny did some nice things, but we need him to hit shots.  He gives it his all, that is all you can ask.

- Rivers was a stud tonight.  He tried very hard on defense, but it is hard when you are giving away 100 lbs.  Offensively, he played within himself, and did great. 

- Shavon needs to stay on the floor.  He needs to stay out of foul trouble, but he is aggressive and as a freshman, he will not get calls.  But he played well.

Bottom line, our play exceeded my expectations today.  We simply do not have depth, but the starting five played very well.  Even when fatigue set in, we busted butt.  The win(s) will come if we keep playing at that level.

-

For those who were able to watch the game, can anyone explain the foul disparity of 18 whistles against us to only 8 against them?  Were they being more aggressive attacking the basket or were the refs not quite fair and balanced?

Trouble is we just don't have the personnel to absorb a lot of foul calls.  If it's a tightly-called game, we're in trouble because there's only so many players to distribute fouls among, which means we're going to be in foul trouble a lot.  But I guess I can live with that as long as it's even.  But when one team has 2 players disqualified and another with 4 fouls, and the other team doesn't have anyone with more than 2 fouls, you've taken an already tough situation for us and made it virtually impossible.

So, was the game called equitably?  Just curious since I wasn't able to see it.

For those who were able to watch the game, can anyone explain the foul disparity of 18 whistles against us to only 8 against them?  Were they being more aggressive attacking the basket or were the refs not quite fair and balanced?

Trouble is we just don't have the personnel to absorb a lot of foul calls.  If it's a tightly-called game, we're in trouble because there's only so many players to distribute fouls among, which means we're going to be in foul trouble a lot.  But I guess I can live with that as long as it's even.  But when one team has 2 players disqualified and another with 4 fouls, and the other team doesn't have anyone with more than 2 fouls, you've taken an already tough situation for us and made it virtually impossible.

Game was one of the better ones called in my opinion.  They just drove the ball, while we we taking most shots outside the paint.  That allowed for more fouls being called on us.

Seeing that you brought up officiating and I didn't see anybody else comment on this, I'll bring it up here.

When the Michigan State player got the steal then went in for the dunk and had his knee buckel, where was the foul?  It didn't look like the Nebraska player (can't remember who it was) touched him and the ref didn't blow the whistle till the player came back down.  The reply looked like he was untouched, but then they got two shots out of it.

Just curious if anybody else noticed that, or I'm just crazy.

Seeing that you brought up officiating and I didn't see anybody else comment on this, I'll bring it up here.

When the Michigan State player got the steal then went in for the dunk and had his knee buckel, where was the foul?  It didn't look like the Nebraska player (can't remember who it was) touched him and the ref didn't blow the whistle till the player came back down.  The reply looked like he was untouched, but then they got two shots out of it.

It was Gallegos on the play.  And I agree, on replay it didn't look like he hit the guy.  But on the initial play it looked like Rey got him pretty good (but that was really only because of how the guy's leg went out on him and he fell hard).  Initially it looked like a foul (if only for how the Michigan State player reacted).

The play I found a bit...awkward...was the free throw when the dude got a practice shot.  The first shot came right back to him (way short and off the front of the iron) and when the ref came out to get the ball to re-set everyone, dude shot it right over the ref's head.  The ref said something to him and gave him the ball back.  Kid shot three freethrows in a two-shot trip.  Good thing he missed them all.  Am I wrong in thinking that should have been a delay of game issue (much like grabbing the ball after a made basket)?  Anyone?

It was Gallegos on the play.  And I agree, on replay it didn't look like he hit the guy.  But on the initial play it looked like Rey got him pretty good (but that was really only because of how the guy's leg went out on him and he fell hard).  Initially it looked like a foul (if only for how the Michigan State player reacted).

The play I found a bit...awkward...was the free throw when the dude got a practice shot.  The first shot came right back to him (way short and off the front of the iron) and when the ref came out to get the ball to re-set everyone, dude shot it right over the ref's head.  The ref said something to him and gave him the ball back.  Kid shot three freethrows in a two-shot trip.  Good thing he missed them all.  Am I wrong in thinking that should have been a delay of game issue (much like grabbing the ball after a made basket)?  Anyone?

I was listening to the radio when that happened and Pavelka went nuts. He thought it should have been a technical.

Izzo and Dawson both admitted Gallegos never made contact.  It was a poor call by the ref.  

As to the foul disparity?  It's just part of the deal this year.  We're don't play a style that is going to be condusive to getting fouls called.Talley's decent at getting to the rim and getting fouls called on him, but that's about it, at least consistently.  I think getting guys like Biggs and Webster and perhaps Fuller on the court will help with that.  Those guys are known for their ability to get into the lane and that's a pretty big part of getting to the line.  

Izzo and Dawson both admitted Gallegos never made contact.  It was a poor call by the ref.  

As to the foul disparity?  It's just part of the deal this year.  We're don't play a style that is going to be condusive to getting fouls called.Talley's decent at getting to the rim and getting fouls called on him, but that's about it, at least consistently.  I think getting guys like Biggs and Webster and perhaps Fuller on the court will help with that.  Those guys are known for their ability to get into the lane and that's a pretty big part of getting to the line.  

There were a handful of plays (both in the halfcourt offense and on the break) where we had guys (Rey and Talley, mostly) who were making a move to the bucket and then pulled up for a mid-range jumper.  I kept yelling at my TV, "Take it to the rack and get fouled!".  Alas...

There were a handful of plays (both in the halfcourt offense and on the break) where we had guys (Rey and Talley, mostly) who were making a move to the bucket and then pulled up for a mid-range jumper.  I kept yelling at my TV, "Take it to the rack and get fouled!".  Alas...

It's all part of the learning how to get fouled thing that Miles has been talking about all year.

atskoc....I completely agree.  Twice late in the game we had numbers on the fast break and they settled for 15 foot jumpers.  I thought had we attacked the hoop we get a much better opportunity to either A) get fouled or B) make the layup.  

Besides that, I was pretty happy with the game, officiating, but bummed about the outcome.  Guys played tough and had a shot to win at the end.  I gotta believe some wins are in the near future if they keep playing like this.  Hopefully it starts Wednesday.

To be honest, I thought we earned most of the fouls that were whistled on us.  Many of Andre's came when he got tired and stopped moving his feet.  For Shavon and David, they are undersized and attempted to play aggressive (and they did pretty darn good).  On the other hand, I thought MSU may have gotten away with a few...but that is kind of to be expected on their home court and with Izzo as the coach.

It's all part of the learning how to get fouled thing that Miles has been talking about all year.

Not sure if they were doing this in the past but part of "The Journey" showed some practice where they would hit the guys with pads near the hoop to simulate contact.

Not sure if they were doing this in the past but part of "The Journey" showed some practice where they would hit the guys with pads near the hoop to simulate contact.

Its because everytime we take it to the rim we get called for charge so now our guys ae a little gun shy and pull up for the shot.

That's what I saw. Answering Norm, unfortunately refs are human. Players come in with reputations and the questionable plays are many times decided in their favor. Not a lot a Huskers carrying the "he's a player" tag right now.