Watson

brfrad

This discussion reminds me of my argument that you can't just have the best shooter on the team take all the shots.  In other words, you can't say to have White shoot all the threes because he's best at it.

He might be best at it, but he'll never get an open look if there aren't other guys on your team that the opposing D has to account for.

I think you saw a little of that last night.  White was almost NEVER open for a catch-and-shoot rhythm jumper.  And maybe you can leave the word "almost" out of that last sentence.

You might need to have a lower-percent shooter take some shots just to open things up for your higher percent guy to get some decent looks.

And so it is with shots at the rim and threes.  Yeah, those are nice and all, and the analytics shows those are the best.  But when defenses are doing their level best to take those options away, it's nice that we have a couple of guys who can hit mid-range buckets fairly reliably.

Would you rather miss from mid-range or have a shot clock violation because you can't otherwise get an open look?

That's where spacing, movement, and shot selection come into play. 

Here's the thing with Watson: I can handle it when he takes those long jumpers towards the end of the shot clock. It's that shot with 15+ seconds on the shot clock that irk me because he's not good enough at making them to justify ending a possession that he as the point guard failed to initiate. 

Here's the thing with Watson: I can handle it when he takes those long jumpers towards the end of the shot clock. It's that shot with 15+ seconds on the shot clock that irk me because he's not good enough at making them to justify ending a possession that he as the point guard failed to initiate. 

1000000% this. But I have to assume that this is a freshman thing, and with a little more maturity, he gets a little better at remembering to share the ball before just taking that shot. When that happens, it elevates our game monumentally.

1000000% this. But I have to assume that this is a freshman thing, and with a little more maturity, he gets a little better at remembering to share the ball before just taking that shot. When that happens, it elevates our game monumentally.

Definitely. He's a bright kid so he'll figure that out sooner than later. I also hope that he works on that shot to the point where it doesn't matter what he does :)

It's kind of ironic that Miles takes stock in analytics, yet his best players the past few years have been guys with games that don't necessarily translate well to high percentage basketball (Petteway, Shields, Watson, White)

I would never put Petteway and White as anywhere near comparable when it comes to shot selection. Never. Never. Ever.

Now, a lot of that came from Petteway being much better at creating his own shots, but many times he was creating his own bad shots. And to be fair there were many times he hit a lot of those bad shots.

They said something about analytics with regard to Shavon's mid-range jumper, which he promptly made.

He's hitting 39.1% of his 2pt jumpers this year, which isn't too shabby.

However, when you look at his 70.8% make rate at the rim and 35.2% 3pt rate (52.8 eFG%) one can see why anayltics guys hammer on shots in the paint or at the 3.

But not only that, if you're taking shots a foot inside the three point line, just take the 3 pointer. If it's 50% more valuable than a 2, and he shoots 34.7% from 3, he's have to shoot 52% on that jumper before it becomes as efficient as the 3. I don't know how close to the rim he has to get to that mark, but that's the whole analytics argument. Dakich doesn't like it. That's his perogative, I guess. There are nuances to this argument I'm leaving out, I get that, but the shot that he likes so much where he takes a step inside the arc (and White does it a lot, too) isn't a wise one, IMO...
100% correct