Watson

brfrad

Ever since I saw Glynn Watson play, I keep having images of Tyronn Lue.  He seems to be a dead ringer for Lue.  Glynn is 6' and 165 pounds.  Lue as a freshmen was 6' 165 pounds.  Lue averaged 8.5 PPG, 3.0 RPG, and had a 1.5 A/TO ratio.  Watson is averaging 8.3 PPG, 1.8 RPG, and has a 2.58 A/TO ratio. 

The reason I thought about the similarities is because of that jumpshot of Watson.  It is almost identical to Lue's mid range jump shot. 

Ever since I saw Glynn Watson play, I keep having images of Tyronn Lue. He seems to be a dead ringer for Lue. Glynn is 6' and 165 pounds. Lue as a freshmen was 6' 165 pounds. Lue averaged 8.5 PPG, 3.0 RPG, and had a 1.5 A/TO ratio. Watson is averaging 8.3 PPG, 1.8 RPG, and has a 2.58 A/TO ratio.

The reason I thought about the similarities is because of that jumpshot of Watson. It is almost identical to Lue's mid range jump shot.

I agree with the Lue comparisons! Let's hope he is as good!

Another guy I see when I watch Glynn play is MJ. Please let me explain before you all laugh! Now, I am not saying he is or will be anywhere near MJ, who I and many consider to be the best to ever lace up a pair of bball shoes. Where I see MJ in Glynn's game is some of his dribble moves/pull up jumpers. Now, if he was 6'6", I know this would be a much better comparison, and I understand if most don't agree with me. But from an offensive style standpoint, I see a little MJ in him.

Watson is really good. His best skill is his ability to navigate and create on ball screens. Something that Benny Parker never figured out in 4 years, which will go down as one of my biggest frustrations in "Nebraska Player Development History." But also makes me ask myself if it's even a skill you can develop, if a freshman comes in and already can do it.

If Watson is an NBA player by the time he's a junior this may be true, but right now this comparison is unfair. He may be a good point guard, but comparing him to arguably the best player in program history is a stretch. If he is at that level in 2 years this team should be very, very good.

Lue's jumper was a lot more orthodox than Glynn's. There's a little stank on Glynn's shot and it comes out of his hand really funny at times.

He might have more wiggle than Lue though. Will be interested to see if he makes a big leap from year 1 to year 2.

If Watson is an NBA player by the time he's a junior this may be true, but right now this comparison is unfair. He may be a good point guard, but comparing him to arguably the best player in program history is a stretch. If he is at that level in 2 years this team should be very, very good.

I was comparing body types and jump shots. I then looked at stats for their freshmen years, which are very similar. I don't know how much Watson can improve, but like you said if he does, this team will have won it's first NCAA tournament game.

FWIW, I agree w/ SkerBall here.  Watson is a very good freshman PG but he's not a Tyron Lue.  Lue's pull-up was money.  And he could create that shot at will because his ability to go from zero to 60 and 60 to zero was so amazing. 

Watson is still very, very good.  Sees the floor so well and is maybe a better true distributor than Lue.

That's not how I read the post, and maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I took it as comparing Watson to Michael Jordan during his freshman year at UNC; not as a prognostication of what is to come. 

I think it's a fair comparison.  They both have a great midrange jumper, but their means for getting that shot is vastly different.  Lue had freakshow speed and was a great defender, but he didn't have that jumper as a freshman.  I actually think Watson is the better PG at this age, but he doesn't have the same physical gifts, so his ceiling isn't as high.  Once Lue figured out what he could do with his physical gifts, he was completely unstoppable at the college level.  

I'll say this though:  Watson's A:TO is really remarkable for a freshman, and he has the clutch gene.  It looks like he's starting to figure out how to defend, which was my main concern.  If he progresses, I think he'll make the league.  

That's not how I read the post, and maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I took it as comparing Watson to Michael Jordan during his freshman year at UNC; not as a prognostication of what is to come. 

I assumed SkerBall was talking about the Watson-Lue comparison rather than a Watson-MJ comparison.  Best player in program history I figured meant this program, not UNC.

I think it's a fair comparison.  They both have a great midrange jumper, but their means for getting that shot is vastly different.  Lue had freakshow speed and was a great defender, but he didn't have that jumper as a freshman.  I actually think Watson is the better PG at this age, but he doesn't have the same physical gifts, so his ceiling isn't as high.  Once Lue figured out what he could do with his physical gifts, he was completely unstoppable at the college level.  

I'll say this though:  Watson's A:TO is really remarkable for a freshman, and he has the clutch gene.  It looks like he's starting to figure out how to defend, which was my main concern.  If he progresses, I think he'll make the league.  

Oh yes he did.

I think of Watson's game more along the lines of Nate Johnson rather than Tyronn Lue. Now Nate was a great scorer, something that Watson isn't quite at his level, but just the smooth nature of his game reminds me of Nate. It's tough to compare to many players though, Watson's game is very unorthodox, very unique.

Dakich hammered on the analytics thing last night, but I would like to see Watson break up with the 21' jumper where his heels are on the 3 point line.

I missed the broadcast. What exactly did he say?

The analytics + my eyes tell me that Watson has a rythym jumper that he has a lot of confidence in but overall he takes a lot of low percentage shots that he doesn't make. Thus, having watched him at the end of games make enough of those shots there is no one else I'd rather take the last shot including White and Shields because I know he can get it off and that there is a good chance it goes in.

Almost everything else about him is above average to exceptional. If he ever develops that shot, he's going to be a difference maker. If not, he's Mike Gessell with the clutch gene which isn't too shabby.