Rutgers (7-24) Vs. Nebraska (14-17) Game Thread

Rutgers were at crucial moments in Nebrasketball's schedule. The Huskers were able to break losing streaks of 3-games twice in the regular season, as well as the latest 5-game losing streak. Thanks to the hapless Scarlet Knights for the confidence boost with 34-point, 24-point, and 17-point wins~! GBR

Rutgers certainly improved from that game at their place. Hey gotta find some positives for that team.

I'll say it. Bakeri Evelyn is a better point guard than Benny Parker. Way too much being made about Benny "shutting down" Sanders imo

Benny's defense on Sanders was huge. Limiting him to 3 of 12 from the floor, one being a ridiculous step back 3 against Tai is pretty good defense. I think Bakeri will be a very nice player for us if he sticks around. Benny is a good role player. He could guard, but has his limitations. Benny was a point guard, and he is a power conference point guard. I don't know if he is a starter on an NCAA tournament team, but he would provide most power 5 teams, with a decent 15-20 minutes a game.

It's too obvious sometimes that this fan base knows football and try's to pretend to know basketball. Please name me another power 5 team with a record equal (three games below 500) or better than ours that he would start for. None! He is not a power 5 guard. Not trying to beat the guy down but some people wonder why this program is where it is, and it's because you have mediocre players in the game. My eyes tell me that even in the limited minutes that bakari played this year that he is a better basketball player. Benny played over him due to experience, and I'm guessing in some ways this will come back to bite miles.

I'll say it. Bakeri Evelyn is a better point guard than Benny Parker. Way too much being made about Benny "shutting down" Sanders imo

Benny's defense on Sanders was huge. Limiting him to 3 of 12 from the floor, one being a ridiculous step back 3 against Tai is pretty good defense. I think Bakeri will be a very nice player for us if he sticks around. Benny is a good role player. He could guard, but has his limitations. Benny was a point guard, and he is a power conference point guard. I don't know if he is a starter on an NCAA tournament team, but he would provide most power 5 teams, with a decent 15-20 minutes a game.

It's too obvious sometimes that this fan base knows football and try's to pretend to know basketball. Please name me another power 5 team with a record equal (three games below 500) or better than ours that he would start for. None! He is not a power 5 guard. Not trying to beat the guy down but some people wonder why this program is where it is, and it's because you have mediocre players in the game. My eyes tell me that even in the limited minutes that bakari played this year that he is a better basketball player. Benny played over him due to experience, and I'm guessing in some ways this will come back to bite miles.

You say you are not trying to beat the guy down, then proceed to do just that.  Not only that, you basically call anybody that agrees that Benny should be playing an unknowledgeable basketball fan.  My eyes told me that Benny was the better player than Bakari and it wasn't even close.  If Bakari was "that much better than Benny" he would have found his way onto the floor.  The only thing you know about Bakari is that he played ok... not great... against scrubs and duds when the game was out of hand.  Benny is far from mediocre, but I agree that he is far from great as well.

Let's face it though... this was a bash Benny post from the get go.  You are telling me that Miles didn't play Bakari even though he was better than Benny the WHOLE year?  Not a chance.  There is a reason Bakari got limited minutes this year, and that is because he is still a step behind the other guards.  Now will Bakari make a bigger impact than Benny before he is done here?  He might!  That would be great!!  But to say that Benny Parker wouldn't sniff minutes at other power conference teams is just not correct.  

Bash Benny all you want, but don't get fantasy mixed with reality in thinking Bakari was a better option than Benny this year.

You say you are not trying to beat the guy down, then proceed to do just that. Not only that, you basically call anybody that agrees that Benny should be playing an unknowledgeable basketball fan. My eyes told me that Benny was the better player than Bakari and it wasn't even close. If Bakari was "that much better than Benny" he would have found his way onto the floor. The only thing you know about Bakari is that he played ok... not great... against scrubs and duds when the game was out of hand. Benny is far from mediocre, but I agree that he is far from great as well.

Let's face it though... this was a bash Benny post from the get go. You are telling me that Miles didn't play Bakari even though he was better than Benny the WHOLE year? Not a chance. There is a reason Bakari got limited minutes this year, and that is because he is still a step behind the other guards. Now will Bakari make a bigger impact than Benny before he is done here? He might! That would be great!! But to say that Benny Parker wouldn't sniff minutes at other power conference teams is just not correct.

Bash Benny all you want, but don't get fantasy mixed with reality in thinking Bakari was a better option than Benny this year.

Fair post in terms of being someone who does not know the inner workings of the team. However, far from correct in several areas. I'll leave it at that.

Bakari is not a good shooter yet. Benny is better than him in that regard. Also, Benny is better at defense and has much more speed. Bakari is just taller and has longer arms. Not a better player.

You say you are not trying to beat the guy down, then proceed to do just that. Not only that, you basically call anybody that agrees that Benny should be playing an unknowledgeable basketball fan. My eyes told me that Benny was the better player than Bakari and it wasn't even close. If Bakari was "that much better than Benny" he would have found his way onto the floor. The only thing you know about Bakari is that he played ok... not great... against scrubs and duds when the game was out of hand. Benny is far from mediocre, but I agree that he is far from great as well.

Let's face it though... this was a bash Benny post from the get go. You are telling me that Miles didn't play Bakari even though he was better than Benny the WHOLE year? Not a chance. There is a reason Bakari got limited minutes this year, and that is because he is still a step behind the other guards. Now will Bakari make a bigger impact than Benny before he is done here? He might! That would be great!! But to say that Benny Parker wouldn't sniff minutes at other power conference teams is just not correct.

Fair post in terms of being someone who does not know the inner workings of the team. However, far from correct in several areas. I'll leave it at that.

Why leave it at that?  Why not enlighten us all as to the inner workings of the team?  Where is he far from correct?

I'd really appreciate you enlightening the rest of us dumb football-only fans.

Why leave it at that? Why not enlighten us all as to the inner workings of the team? Where is he far from correct?

Not here to stir the pot. Just making informed comments. Do with them what you may. Not here to prove anything, just to add what I know

Why leave it at that? Why not enlighten us all as to the inner workings of the team? Where is he far from correct?

Not here to stir the pot. Just making informed comments. Do with them what you may. Not here to prove anything, just to add what I know

Actually, what you think.  There's a difference.

I get this conversation. Benny has done some good things for us but he is limited, especially height-wise and offensively.

I hope that Bakari looks like he has the potential to be better and that he will be better. Then it comes down to whether he is currently better and if potentially taking loses and/or screwing with team chemistry makes it worth playing him more than we are at the expense of any other guard's minutes.

I get this conversation. Benny has done some good things for us but he is limited, especially height-wise and offensively.

I hope that Bakari looks like he has the potential to be better and that he will be better. Then it comes down to whether he is currently better and if potentially taking loses and/or screwing with team chemistry makes it worth playing him more than we are at the expense of any other guard's minutes.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was referring to. Miles had no option to not play Benny this season.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was referring to. Miles had no option to not play Benny this season.

However limited Benny might be, he's still better than Bakari.

Whatever Benny's deficiencies might be, he's still less of a liability than Bakari.

I've watched Bakari play at least 90% of the minutes he's had plus the scrimmage and the minutes he got during the Spain trip.  Granted, not a TON of minutes to evaluate, but enough to know whether, at this given moment in time, he's good enough to beat out Benny for minutes.

The answer?  He's not.

In 12 minutes against Minnesota, I though he had a lot of trouble getting the offense to flow and, as a result, Minnesota went on a huge run in the last 5 minutes of the game and made it look a lot closer than it really was. 

When Bakari re-entered the game with about 6 minutes left, Nebraska lead 80-42.  That's a 38 point lead.

Minnesota went on a 17-4 run to end the game and, during that time, Bakari looked lost.

You CANNOT tell me that Bakari was a better option, at any point during the season, than Benny Parker.

That would be complete and utter nonsense.

You said in a previous post that Bakari was a better point guard than Benny.  At this point in time that is not true.  Now, you are saying he had NO option but to play Benny.  That make NO sense.  You are saying Bakari isn't an option to play this year, but he is the better point guard?

You said in a previous post that Bakari was a better point guard than Benny.  At this point in time that is not true.  Now, you are saying he had NO option but to play Benny.  That make NO sense.  You are saying Bakari isn't an option to play this year, but he is the better point guard?

I'm saying Miles can't not play Benny from the stand point that it kills team chemistry and divides the team. Not something you can take a chance at after what happened last year with the team.

I'm saying Miles can't not play Benny from the stand point that it kills team chemistry and divides the team. Not something you can take a chance at after what happened last year with the team.

I think we are arguing over two different things.  Right at this very minute, in Parker's senior year, and Bakari's freshmen year, I am saying Parker is a better point guard than Bakari.  I believe that by Bakari's senior year, he will be a much better point guard than Benny was at Nebraska.  I will even say that Bakari as a freshmen is better than Benny as a freshmen.  Experience is a great teacher.

Benny brings quite a bit to the table.  He is a floor general, but limited offensively, but a pest on the defensive end.  He handles the ball really well (has a 1.86 A/TO ratio)  His size limits his ability to get to the rim, and he isn't a great shooter.  However, he was better than he has been in previous years shooting where teams had to respect him.

Watson is a scoring point guard.  He is much more aggressive, can get to the rim.  Has a little more height.  One thing Watson needs to do is work on his shooting and get more arc on his shots.  It seems he has worked on it this year, but at times his shot still is flat.  He is a great ball handler and can distribute the ball (has a 2.58 A/TO ratio).  He has to add some muscle, and be able to score through contact.

Bakari has struggled this year in a lot of areas.  He has been dreadful from 3.  He has 4 assist to 8 turnovers (part of that is playing in mop-up minutes with players who struggle to score).  He also needs to get stronger, and develop a game to get to the rim.  I think he very much could be a player similar to Gessell by the time his career is over. 

I think we are arguing over two different things.  Right at this very minute, in Parker's senior year, and Bakari's freshmen year, I am saying Parker is a better point guard than Bakari.  I believe that by Bakari's senior year, he will be a much better point guard than Benny was at Nebraska.  I will even say that Bakari as a freshmen is better than Benny as a freshmen.  Experience is a great teacher.

Benny brings quite a bit to the table.  He is a floor general, but limited offensively, but a pest on the defensive end.  He handles the ball really well (has a 1.86 A/TO ratio)  His size limits his ability to get to the rim, and he isn't a great shooter.  However, he was better than he has been in previous years shooting where teams had to respect him.

Watson is a scoring point guard.  He is much more aggressive, can get to the rim.  Has a little more height.  One thing Watson needs to do is work on his shooting and get more arc on his shots.  It seems he has worked on it this year, but at times his shot still is flat.  He is a great ball handler and can distribute the ball (has a 2.58 A/TO ratio).  He has to add some muscle, and be able to score through contact.

Bakari has struggled this year in a lot of areas.  He has been dreadful from 3.  He has 4 assist to 8 turnovers (part of that is playing in mop-up minutes with players who struggle to score).  He also needs to get stronger, and develop a game to get to the rim.  I think he very much could be a player similar to Gessell by the time his career is over. 

I agree with a lot of what you said. I would disagree that Benny is a "floor general" but that is my opinion. Monte Morris/Marcus Paige are floor generals. I don't think you can forecast Bakari's in a good or bad way. I'm not going to say that if Bakari gets extended minutes that he shoots 40% from 3, has a 3/1 A/TO ratio and averages 10 ppg. But you also cannot say that he wouldn't do that just by the stats that he put up in very limited minutes. You can't play 3 minutes every other game and put up great stats. You don't get into a rhythm, don't get into the flow of games, and just don't have the confidence. If he's playing 15 mpg he gets the opportunity to gain that confidence and showcase his skills. I'm just saying that overall he has a better skill set than Benny. In my opinion, the better skilled guys you have on the floor the better chance it gives you to win.

You can appreciate the effort that Benny Parker gave this program and still understand that he is not the caliber of basketball player that this program needs to become very good.Those two things don't have to be exclusive of one another. I am also not saying that Bakari is the elite guard that we are missing either. I just believe him to be an upgrade from the player that saw minutes.