Tim's getting a little worn down

bigFRED

I feel bad for him, he's done some great things, it's just a hard situation to try and build up a program basically from scraps in the hardest conference in college basketball. But he's done some great things recruiting and program wise through popularity and exposure, and making the NCAA tournament. 

What makes being the basketball coach at Nebraska so difficult is our fans projecting all of the success we've had in football on to every other sport and especially men's basketball. Combine that with the fact that he essentially has to go through a middle man to speak to the AD. No wonder he is getting worn down. He got us to the NCAA's just 2 years ago, the first coach to do so in over 20yrs and people are already putting him on the seat. He's had to completely rebuild the roster from the ground up. Our fan base thinks that this thing can be completely turned around in 4yrs which Miles essentially did in 2yrs and now we have taken a couple of steps back, although this year would have looked a lot different had Pettaway and Pitchford not left a year early.

What makes being the basketball coach at Nebraska so difficult is our fans projecting all of the success we've had in football on to every other sport and especially men's basketball. 

Before you and 13 get into the same 20 subquote argument again this would be the type of (realistic or not) expectations you'd have almost anywhere, just sort of relative. Right now there is probably some Michigan forum where guys are questioning Beilein because they can't believe how little he built on their Finals runs and look what everyone else is doing there.  

What makes being the basketball coach at Nebraska so difficult is our fans projecting all of the success we've had in football on to every other sport and especially men's basketball. Combine that with the fact that he essentially has to go through a middle man to speak to the AD. No wonder he is getting worn down. He got us to the NCAA's just 2 years ago, the first coach to do so in over 20yrs and people are already putting him on the seat. He's had to completely rebuild the roster from the ground up. Our fan base thinks that this thing can be completely turned around in 4yrs which Miles essentially did in 2yrs and now we have taken a couple of steps back, although this year would have looked a lot different had Pettaway and Pitchford not left a year early.

"It's very gratifying and humbling that Shawn has shown a great deal of faith in our program,'' Miles told the Omaha World-Herald. "This time, it's been with an extension for the head coach. "But he's also done it over and over with helping me hire high-quality assistants and making sure we've got enough resources to do our job the right way."

While you hate the fanbase so much...you are off base(again)...the expectations aren't out of wack.  The majority do not expect championships out of Nebrasketball....but a solid product isn't too much to ask for.  A tourney run every once in awhile(Tim's been there) and eventually winning a game at the tournament would be nice.  Obviously Miles had to blow up the roster after last years debacle...he brought in and is bringing in some nice talent.  Will it be enough? I have my doubts.  But he's either going to sink or swim with this core freshman class.   

What makes being the basketball coach at Nebraska so difficult is our fans projecting all of the success we've had in football on to every other sport and especially men's basketball. 

Before you and 13 get into the same 20 subquote argument again this would be the type of (realistic or not) expectations you'd have almost anywhere, just sort of relative. Right now there is probably some Michigan forum where guys are questioning Beilein because they can't believe how little he built on their Finals runs and look what everyone else is doing there.  

Dam! You beat me to it. 

He got us to the NCAA's just 2 years ago, the first coach to do so in over 20yrs and people are already putting him on the seat. 

Completely under-appreciated. This wasn't 10 years ago and if it was easy, the last two guys might still be here. 

He got us to the NCAA's just 2 years ago, the first coach to do so in over 20yrs and people are already putting him on the seat. 

Completely under-appreciated. This wasn't 10 years ago and if it was easy, the last two guys might still be here. 

It also likely landed us Watson and probably Morrow....if it didn't buy Miles some extra time to right the ship it should. 

"It's very gratifying and humbling that Shawn has shown a great deal of faith in our program,'' Miles told the Omaha World-Herald. "This time, it's been with an extension for the head coach. "But he's also done it over and over with helping me hire high-quality assistants and making sure we've got enough resources to do our job the right way."

While you hate the fanbase so much...you are off base(again)...the expectations aren't out of wack.  The majority do not expect championships out of Nebrasketball....but a solid product isn't too much to ask for.  A tourney run every once in awhile(Tim's been there) and eventually winning a game at the tournament would be nice.  Obviously Miles had to blow up the roster after last years debacle...he brought in and is bringing in some nice talent.  Will it be enough? I have my doubts.  But he's either going to sink or swim with this core freshman class.   

If Miles needs something can he go directly to the AD or not? Simple question. Perhaps swmckewon can answer. 

No hate for the fan base just describing who they are. So in your view he's on the hot seat for next year...correct?

No they don't. 

No, really, they don't. 

Sure Sam that's why after 4yrs and 1 NCAA tourney appearance, the first in over 20yrs Tim is being talked about as being on the seat. 

I feel bad for him, he's done some great things, it's just a hard situation to try and build up a program basically from scraps in the hardest conference in college basketball. But he's done some great things recruiting and program wise through popularity and exposure, and making the NCAA tournament. 

Big 10 is the hardest conference in college basketball?  Certainly not this year.

If Miles needs something can he go directly to the AD or not? Simple question. Perhaps swmckewon can answer. 

No hate for the fan base just describing who they are. So in your view he's on the hot seat for next year...correct?

I have no idea if he has to go thru someone.....if he does do you believe that conributes to making Nebrasketball a difficult job? I don't see it as long as he continues to be provided with the neccessary resources to win..and that's been the case.  Hot seat next year as in his job is in jeapordy?  No, I don't believe so.  Although, I think we will know the answer of his future fate at Nebraska by our results next year.