If I was a big man

Michael Jacobson has been listed at 6'8" on his team's roster since his sophomore year of high school. That, in 99% of all cases, strongly suggests that he is done growing.

yet people on here constantly compare him to Ubel who was a legit 6'10.

Doesn't he get a lot more Chubbick comparisons, especially because of the hair?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am glad Coach Miles is a bit frustrated too.  We all know we need a big, we all want a big, but only Coach Miles can land us a big.  It is time.

Don't ask me why, but I was thinking about  these questions this morning and I'm sure a good number of you know the answer better than I do. 1. Does the LJS cover Creighton as much as the Omaha paper does us? and 2. Does the LJS even send anyone to cover the Creighton games? I just don't see a lot of positive from the Omaha reporters about NU Hoops.  I was thinking do I see much of anything about their program in the LJS?

Don't ask me why, but I was thinking about  these questions this morning and I'm sure a good number of you know the answer better than I do. 1. Does the LJS cover Creighton as much as the Omaha paper does us? and 2. Does the LJS even send anyone to cover the Creighton games? I just don't see a lot of positive from the Omaha reporters about NU Hoops.  I was thinking do I see much of anything about their program in the LJS?

1. No

2. No

Unless it's some sort of event of significance it's a blurb on page 4

Omaha WH sells their paper throughout the State.  Dare I say, they are Nebraska's primary State paper.  Hence, they sell their paper to a whole lot of Husker fans in small and mid-town Nebraska.  The LJS is more of a regional paper.  Their primary coverage is likely a certain radius around Lincoln. 

I don't see the problem in the article. Looked to be accurate. Dis-heartening for sure. I think it is critical to bring 2 quality big men in this cycle. Don't know that it will be possible. 

On a different note, Venson Hamilton being Big 12 player of the year. Forgot about that.  Very Impressive. 

Did not realize what we had in Danny Nee. Man he brought some talent in. 

I don't see the problem in the article. Looked to be accurate. Dis-heartening for sure. I think it is critical to bring 2 quality big men in this cycle. Don't know that it will be possible. 

On a different note, Venson Hamilton being Big 12 player of the year. Forgot about that.  Very Impressive. 

Did not realize what we had in Danny Nee. Man he brought some talent in.

Agreed. I fount the column more interesting than anything.

No issues with facts.

Lee Barfknecht has covered the Huskers for 35 years. Dirk is a native Nebraskan from Columbus. Shatel has been in Nebraska for 25 years, and generally writes about the Huskers over anything else that opines over in the rag. Sam is a Husker fan, as far as I can tell. Jon is a good writer that covers the Huskers regularly.

The Huskers are Nebraska's state team, and the OWH is generally considered the state's newspaper forum.

I'll read OWH for general sports and Husker football and baseball but I have stopped reading their Nebrasketball stories. Strictly LJS for that topic.

I'll read all of them: blogs, papers, major media online; I tend to notice a grain of salt needs to be applied at times with the OWH pieces for Nebrasketball especially the bloggy fluff stuff.

I know the lack of a big man is a popular topic right now, but I've been struck more by the lack of a good point guard for the last 15 years. I mean a guy who started for several years and was a floor general. We really haven't had anybody like that since Lue. We've ended up losing a lot of close games over that time. 

Maybe my aged brain is forgetting somebody. But I know we've had Marics during that period, so there's four years of a high-quality center. And the Drevo-Turek-Conklin crew may not have been all-Big 12 caliber but were serviceable. But I can't think of one time where we had a high-quality, experienced point guard who ran the team.

I think a shortcoming at 5 is a lot more obvious, but frankly the lack of good point guard might be more damaging.

I know the lack of a big man is a popular topic right now, but I've been struck more by the lack of a good point guard for the last 15 years. I mean a guy who started for several years and was a floor general. We really haven't had anybody like that since Lue. We've ended up losing a lot of close games over that time. 

Maybe my aged brain is forgetting somebody. But I know we've had Marics during that period, so there's four years of a high-quality center. And the Drevo-Turek-Conklin crew may not have been all-Big 12 caliber but were serviceable. But I can't think of one time where we had a high-quality, experienced point guard who ran the team.

I think a shortcoming at 5 is a lot more obvious, but frankly the lack of good point guard might be more damaging.

I don't disagree with you other than today, we have a pretty darn good part guard with Glynn, and a good alternative with Tai.  That said, after this recruiting cycle is completed, we will need to land another PG in the following cycle.