Tim's T's

AuroranHusker

"...we’re in the heat of a season, and I’m an emotional guy.”

Miles said he hasn’t reviewed sideline video of his own actions, nor has anyone in the program told him he is acting differently.

“If I do come across more aggressive than I have been,” he said, “it’s because I feel we are a stronger team more capable of competing in this league.

“Our results haven’t been what we wanted this season. We’ve had some obstacles. But I will voice my opinion and fight for my team. I will always do that.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tim-miles-technical-fouls-the-result-of-fighting-for-his/article_946a2d86-da77-11e5-a75b-afe398aefcb8.html

There's a fine line between standing up for your team to where it helps your cause and doing your team harm. To me Miles is getting close to that borderline. Someone like Bo Pelini was WAY over that line just for the sake of example. I've starting growing a little concerned about Miles's propensity for technicals, but nothing major. I just see most of his frustration coming from the fact his team is less athletic, smaller rather than the fact they don't seem to be getting a fair shake.

I also am tiring of our fans' reactions to the officiating. It seems to have become more extreme in the last few years. I suppose nothing like a few bad calls to get any fanbase into a game, but we also seem to be on the extreme end of that spectrum. I think we had a 3 game streak of booing the refs off the court at halftime at one point :)

I just think people are frustrated ... we seem to be RIGHT there on getting over the precipice of success yet recruiting misses especially in the area of true power forwards/centers have left us at a disadvantage.

There's a fine line between standing up for your team to where it helps your cause and doing your team harm. To me Miles is getting close to that borderline. Someone like Bo Pelini was WAY over that line just for the sake of example. I've starting growing a little concerned about Miles's propensity for technicals, but nothing major. I just see most of his frustration coming from the fact his team is less athletic, smaller rather than the fact they don't seem to be getting a fair shake.

I also am tiring of our fans' reactions to the officiating. It seems to have become more extreme in the last few years. I suppose nothing like a few bad calls to get any fanbase into a game, but we also seem to be on the extreme end of that spectrum. I think we had a 3 game streak of booing the refs off the court at halftime at one point :)

I just think people are frustrated ... we seem to be RIGHT there on getting over the precipice of success yet recruiting misses especially in the area of true power forwards/centers have left us at a disadvantage.

All fair points.

Here my issue with the technical fouls this year on Miles.  Why the hell then can other coaches go absolutely ballistic on the sideline and nothing is done?  Vs Maryland Turgeon went crazy....warning?  I watched the Iowa vs PSU game before our game with Indiana.  Fran lost his mind as well....warning.  That same night I watch Duke play and Coach K dropped 4 straight "F-ing BS!" to the ref.  Directly.  Nothing.  I get it, he's Coach K.  But why have the quick trigger on Miles all the time? 

And to go further, I see players all the time lip "That's F-Ing BS!"  Clear as day.  Nothing. 

Again, I have no idea what Miles is saying, but they sure do seem to have a quick trigger on Miles.

I disagree.

I don't think we complain more about the refs now than we ever did.  And I think when we complain about officiating, it's because officials have blown some crucial calls.

Refs get called out on message boards across the country.  I doubt we're any more guilty of this than any other fan base.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining about bad officiating or inconsistent officiating.

Because players and coaches can't comment, officials get a free pass.  Why is that?

And we can criticize the coach or the players and no one seems to object and say that the players and coaches are off limits.  But you seem to think officials should get a free pass.  Why is that?

If officials are never held to public scrutiny and criticism, is there any incentive for them to not repeatedly do stupid stuff like that Eades guy?

I'm not down on the floor so I don't know how Miles' behavior is any different than any other coach.  There was a time in the Maryland game, though, where Turgeon's assistants had to haul him back to the bench and he was being very demonstrative in showing up the official.  That should have been a T, no question.  But they didn't call it.

I question whether the Ts are being handed out equally. 

It's like hanging on the rim.  Sometimes it's a technical and sometimes it's obvious.  But sometimes it's called in situations that are indistinguishable from thousands of other dunks where it wasn't called.

Or moving screens.  They don't call it 90% of the time and then, suddenly, the last minute of a close game, one of our players will get whistled for it and it's a turnover.

All I'm asking for is consistency.  And when I don't see it, you're damn right I'm going to complain about it.  Just like we complain about Husker players who don't seem to give full effort or Husker coaches who don't seem to make adjustments.

Why are you suggesting that officials should be off limits?

It's a conundrum; that's what it is. Perception is reality. Miles is perceived now as a lil' whiner who pouts, stomps & slaps the floor; therefore, he is now a whiner in the refs' minds. I think that many referees do not have thick skin to overcome the disdain/angst from the "lil' guy", so, unless you're a blue-blood coach and/or program (it seems) then you lil' guys have to suck it up & play ball *MY* way (sez 'big-timin' ref). Big-time coaches/programs, though, have at it: whine to your heart's content, Coach K et al.

I disagree.

I don't think we complain more about the refs now than we ever did.  And I think when we complain about officiating, it's because officials have blown some crucial calls.

Refs get called out on message boards across the country.  I doubt we're any more guilty of this than any other fan base.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining about bad officiating or inconsistent officiating.

Because players and coaches can't comment, officials get a free pass.  Why is that?

And we can criticize the coach or the players and no one seems to object and say that the players and coaches are off limits.  But you seem to think officials should get a free pass.  Why is that?

If officials are never held to public scrutiny and criticism, is there any incentive for them to not repeatedly do stupid stuff like that Eades guy?

I'm not down on the floor so I don't know how Miles' behavior is any different than any other coach.  There was a time in the Maryland game, though, where Turgeon's assistants had to haul him back to the bench and he was being very demonstrative in showing up the official.  That should have been a T, no question.  But they didn't call it.

It's like hanging on the rim.  Sometimes it's a technical and sometimes it's obvious.  But sometimes it's called in situations that are indistinguishable from thousands of other dunks where it wasn't called.

Or moving screens.  They don't call it 90% of the time and then, suddenly, the last minute of a close game, one of our players will get whistled for it and it's a turnover.

All I'm asking for is consistency.  And when I don't see it, you're damn right I'm going to complain about it.  Just like we complain about Husker players who don't seem to give full effort or Husker coaches who don't seem to make adjustments.

I disagree as well Spurs... Officials have more power during a game than anyone else on the court. They can make or break a teams chances... That is just fact. Also I don't think Miles is anywhere near a fine line when it comes to the officials. I have seen way worse things this year that HAVE NOT gotten a T than what Miles does. Shoot getting down and hitting the floor is not even directed at officials. It's like when players throw their arms in the air or purposefully roll a ball away from an official. Miles is no where close to crossing a line.

IMO The Miles technical discussion over the past couple of weeks is way overblown.  He is nowhere near approaching any kind of a Bo issue.  Or Frank Martin for that matter.  Getting on average 2-3 a year with no ejections is not a big deal.   Some are gotten on purpose to have a team or player's back.  Some are undeserved.  And as to the effect of them on a game or the players, or even the refs for that matter, is pretty hard for the average fan to discern.  His explanations are good by me.

"I also am tiring of our fans' reactions to the officiating. It seems to have become more extreme in the last few years. I suppose nothing like a few bad calls to get any fanbase into a game, but we also seem to be on the extreme end of that spectrum. I think we had a 3 game streak of booing the refs off the court at halftime at one point :)"

Again,  I am tiring WAY more of the inconsistent calls and double standards to what coaches are allowed to do, then I am of our fans reactions to the officiating.  

"I also am tiring of our fans' reactions to the officiating. It seems to have become more extreme in the last few years. I suppose nothing like a few bad calls to get any fanbase into a game, but we also seem to be on the extreme end of that spectrum. I think we had a 3 game streak of booing the refs off the court at halftime at one point :)"

Again, I am tiring WAY more of the inconsistent calls and double standards to what coaches are allowed to do, then I am of our fans reactions to the officiating.

Fans should react to what are perceived bad calls. It happens the same way in every arena in the country. You're not going to get a collective mass to sit on their hands and zip their lips when they feel their team hasn't gotten a fair shake. Nebraska fans shouldn't act any differently than anyone else.

IMO The Miles technical discussion over the past couple of weeks is way overblown.  

Miles has happened to pick up a few technicals lately.

[sarcasm]It's a definite pattern just like we are now a team that plays better on the road.

Yeah, Miles is obviously out of control. Everyone knows that the B1G is full of composed, non-shit losing coaches.

fran-mccaffery-loses-it.gif

bo-ryan-wtf.gif

illini-msu-002.gifRichardPitinoTantrumWTFWasThat.gif

yuoN8X0.gif

I mean, looks at these gracious gentlemen. [end sarcasm]

Here my issue with the technical fouls this year on Miles.  Why the hell then can other coaches go absolutely ballistic on the sideline and nothing is done?  Vs Maryland Turgeon went crazy....warning?  I watched the Iowa vs PSU game before our game with Indiana.  Fran lost his mind as well....warning.  That same night I watch Duke play and Coach K dropped 4 straight "F-ing BS!" to the ref.  Directly.  Nothing.  I get it, he's Coach K.  But why have the quick trigger on Miles all the time? 

And to go further, I see players all the time lip "That's F-Ing BS!"  Clear as day.  Nothing. 

Again, I have no idea what Miles is saying, but they sure do seem to have a quick trigger on Miles.

Motta clearly tried to ice Webster when Tate walked over to him.  When called out on it his started yelling, nothing.  He was on the floor at one point complaining, nothing.

Motta clearly tried to ice Webster when Tate walked over to him.  When called out on it his started yelling, nothing.  He was on the floor at one point complaining, nothing.

Matta is a hot mess. He probably should have been run from the game for that fiasco.

IMO The Miles technical discussion over the past couple of weeks is way overblown.  He is nowhere near approaching any kind of a Bo issue.  Or Frank Martin for that matter.  Getting on average 2-3 a year with no ejections is not a big deal.   Some are gotten on purpose to have a team or player's back.  Some are undeserved.  And as to the effect of them on a game or the players, or even the refs for that matter, is pretty hard for the average fan to discern.  His explanations are good by me.

Amen!

I think we probably don't boo enough.  Iowa State fans have a reputation as being the hardest on refs, to the point that they get ridiculed pretty harshly by other fanbases for it.   Heck, the Phog has game threads for games NOT involving the Jayhawks, and for any game involving ISU the thread title will always say something like "BOOOOOO! vs. Kansas State - game thread".  And good for Iowa State.  Make them notice you.

Here's an article explaining why Iowa State fans should NEVER apologizing for booing (click the link or the image for the full article):

How the Passion of Iowa State Fans Fuels Hilton Magic - Wide Right & Natty Lite

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/1/19/10791158/how-the-passion-of-iowa-state-cyclones-fans-fuels-hilton-magic

usa-today-9065758.0.jpg

CBS Sports college basketball analyst Doug Gottlieb tweeted last night that, "Hilton is awesome, pretty basic arena, no frills..people make the place." You might take a look at that tweet and second guess yourself for a moment, but it's actually a huge compliment to Iowa State fans.

People make the place.

Yes, all of that cheering, and booing, that ISU fans exude throughout the length of a game inside Hilton is what fuels Hilton Magic. It's part of what boosts greats like Hoiberg, Fizer, Ejim and Niang to make plays and lead the Cyclones to victory.

It's funny, whenever I go on Twitter after a nationally televised Iowa State basketball game, I see people pointing out how much ISU fans boo. Some, notably Iowa and Kansas fans, seem to think that's some grand insult. They think it should offend us and cause us to be ashamed. But I'm not going to stop, and nor should you if you're a Cyclone fan.

Here's why.

In my opinion, 25% of the booing is because we legitimately believe that the refs got a call wrong. See a hand check called on a Cyclone player that didn't get called on the other end? Damn right I'm going to voice my displeasure about it. Bias and all, I'm going to let my opinion be known if I believe something's out of place.

Another 25% of it is due to history. ISU has had calls like the Georges Niang block/charge at the end of regulation against Kansas in 2013 go against them and directly influence the outcome of big games. Speaking of big games, many fans are still bitter about the way Iowa State's Elite Eight game against Michigan State in 2000 was called in the Palace of Auburn Hills. There's tons of other more specific examples I could throw out there, but I'd prefer to keep this article from becoming a full-length novel.

The final 50% belongs to one characteristic that most Cyclone basketball fans hold.

Pure passion.

You hear that word, passion, tossed around a lot in cases where it isn't warranted. The definition of passion is "strong and barely controllable emotion." Think about that for a second. If you're a Kansas fan and you're saying you're better than Iowa State fans because you don't boo, you're just saying that you're not as passionate about your team as Cyclone Nation. ISU fans are so incredibly invested in our team that our emotion comes bursting out at all times, whether it's cheering or booing.

Oh, and that "barely controllable" part of the definition? The "controlled" part for us is our ability to stop ourselves from walking down to the court and giving the referees a knuckle sandwich.

Sounds harsh, but it's true.

It's a conundrum; that's what it is. Perception is reality. Miles is perceived now as a lil' whiner who pouts, stomps & slaps the floor; therefore, he is now a whiner in the refs' minds. I think that many referees do not have thick skin to overcome the disdain/angst from the "lil' guy", so, unless you're a blue-blood coach and/or program (it seems) then you lil' guys have to suck it up & play ball *MY* way (sez 'big-timin' ref). Big-time coaches/programs, though, have at it: whine to your heart's content, Coach K et al.

I mean that's basically it, IMO.  "Hey, you little fourth year coach of a bottom half team in the Big Ten, you haven't earned your chops yet to yell at me even 1/4 the same way Thad Matta, et al does.  Here's a T for you."  It's B.S., but I think that's the zebra mentality. 

I disagree.

I think if you look close you'll see I never said referees were off limits. They are human. In my experience how you handle adversity is more important to the long term success than who was at fault. I think if you start to develop a reputation for going off and/or booing officials it affects the calls you get so it's eventually doubly bad for a coach or fan base.

Take Bo Pelini ... it wasn't always what he did in the moment but often the build up of petty complaints the entire time before. I wonder if that's part of why it seems to us Miles is getting picked on. 

There hasn't been one game this year where I felt we were screwed. We play in a league where most other teams are much longer than us at EVERY position. That puts us at a huge disadvantage.

I do think we're worse than some schools when it comes to complaining about the refs. I have been to quite a lot of college hoops games in my life and I don't recall the refs getting booed off the court at half as many times as I have the past 3 years.

I do think we're worse than some schools when it comes to complaining about the refs. I have been to quite a lot of college hoops games in my life and I don't recall the refs getting booed off the court at half as many times as I have the past 3 years.

It's possible that we are and some of it is because Miles' defense has been putting people on the line more than most for the last 7+ years (dating back through Colorado St). This year is even worse because other than Shavon no one really makes it to the FT line in an offense partially geared towards drawing contact through the dribble drive. It's not entirely shocking that people have become conditioned to thinking that the refs are out to get them that's not the problem.