Contract Up

#GATA

With Nebraska and Adidas contract coming to an end what are the chances Nebraska considers going with Nike or Under Armour.  I have been told by many football players on Nebraska's team the Bo is pushing Nike.  He came from LSU (Nike school).  Also, it's hard to not agree that Nike makes a superior product, far better than Adidas.  I look for Nebraska to switch providers and the reason is the following: T.O. is no longer the head hancho.  He is loyal and he was around when Nebraska first signed with Adidas.  However, look at the schools winning championships.  I'm not saying Nike makes these players better, however, it does attract more recruits.  Disagree if you want.  But the numbers do not lie.  Look back at the past 10 to 12 years, what teams won national championships?  Teams that were outfitted with Nike.  I repeat, I am not saying Nike makes your team better, but young kids would rather come to a Nike school rather than an Adidas school. 

Serious question: Do you think Oregon would be where they are without Nike? I am positive that at least a few recruits gave Oregon a much harder look because of their Nike products.

Nike makes superior shoes for basketball in my opinion. Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron all are with Nike.

Most basketball players are sneakerheads because they have been buying basketball shoes since they started playing the game. Adidas is not known for their basketball shoes. Nike has the Jordan brand along with much better basketball players as sponsors.

I also think Nike makes better alternate uniforms than Adidas, so I would want Nike for that reason too now that Nebraska has entered the alternate uniform game.

I think Nike would help separate Nebraska from Wisconsin.

All Nike except Auburn and Kansas.....it's worth thinking about

NCAA Football

2000-Oklahoma

2001-Miami

2002-Ohio State

2003-LSU/USC

2004-USC

2005-Texas

2006-Florida

2007-LSU

2008-Florida

2009-Alabama

2010-Auburn (Under Armour)

2011-Alabama

2012-Alabama

NCAA Basketball

2000-Michigan State

2001-Duke

2002-Maryland

2003-Syracuse

2004-Connecticut

2005-North Carolina

2006-Florida

2007-Florida

2008-Kansas (Adidas)

2009-North Carolina

2010-Duke

2011-Connecticut

2012-Kentucky

Serious question: Do you think Oregon would be where they are without Nike? I am positive that at least a few recruits gave Oregon a much harder look because of their Nike products.

Nike makes superior shoes for basketball in my opinion. Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron all are with Nike.

I also think Nike makes better alternate uniforms than Adidas, so I would want Nike for that reason too now that Nebraska has entered the alternate uniform game.

The thing with Oregon is that didn't the guy who owns it or started Nike graduate from Oregon?

The thing with Oregon is that didn't the guy who owns it or started Nike graduate from Oregon?

something like that, but I think Nike has made some great alternate uniforms for other schools as well. The majority of high school kids are wearing Nike clothing and shoes for basketball. The only kids wearing Adidas are ones that are big derek rose fans.

problem is Nike will only support the money making sports.  So some of our other sports would have to get outfitted by another company or have to shell out even more money for their gear.  Adidas is the only major outfitter that will do every sport at each school they sponsor.  I think thats why Nebraska stays with Adidas, the loyalty factor.  Seems like a "Nebraska way" of thinking to me.

Phil Knight and Bill Bowerman started Nike.  Bowerman was the track coach at UO and made famous by steve Prefontaine.

problem is Nike will only support the money making sports.  So some of our other sports would have to get outfitted by another company or have to shell out even more money for their gear.  Adidas is the only major outfitter that will do every sport at each school they sponsor.  I think thats why Nebraska stays with Adidas, the loyalty factor.  Seems like a "Nebraska way" of thinking to me.

Nebraska has one of the most profitable football programs, so I would think Nike would want to sponsor as many sports as NU would want them too. I feel like NU fans already have enough NU adidas gear and would welcome a change to Nike or Under Armour. I hope it is true that Bo is pushing Nike. I would be curious to get Miles thoughts on Adidas and Nike since he had Nike at CSU.

It honestly doesn't matter to me. I like the Adidas gear I've bought, would like a wider/better selection in basketball gear but that's for another time.

I do think that Nike makes better basketball shoes. I might be biased since that's all I've ever worn. I've tried on Adidas shoes but I didn't like the fit.

But if the kids these days like the Nikes and that gets a kid to come here that so be it.

While we're switching things up why not switch back to Coke? We haven't won a National Championship since we became a Pepsi school...

It honestly doesn't matter to me. I like the Adidas gear I've bought, would like a wider/better selection in basketball gear but that's for another time.

I do think that Nike makes better basketball shoes. I might be biased since that's all I've ever worn. I've tried on Adidas shoes but I didn't like the fit.

But if the kids these days like the Nikes and that gets a kid to come here that so be it.

While we're switching things up why not switch back to Coke? We haven't won a National Championship since we became a Pepsi school...

I would love if Nebraska was sponsored by Coca-Cola. As for Nike shoes in terms of basketball....Adidas can not stand on the same foot as Nike.  Nike makes far more superior shoes.  I coach and play basketball and my players and people I play against wear the AdiZeros.  They hate them.  They are super light, but they fall apart too easily and too quickly.  Nike shoes, of course, will eventually fall apart but at a much slower rate than adidas.  Plus the fit of a Nike shoe is hard to beat.

Under Armor shoes are terrible.

At least they where 2 years ago.

My son bought them for football, they just made it through 2-a-days.

Got a replacement pair.  Didn't last much longer.

Completely agree.  Those shoes are so bad.  The baseball shoes that they make are even worse.  It's like walking on plywood when wearing the shoes.

The change from Pepsi to Coke would be more difficult because Pepsi contributes a pretty significant figure to fund research grants to students. I know a big portion of the UCARE program is funded through Pepsi money and I'm sure there are other academic places on campuses that Pepsi dollars are apportioned to. I've always understood Coke was not willing to make similar contributions. I could be wrong about that last part or perhaps things have changed, but until it does, Pepsi is it for NU. I'm not sure if Adidas contributes to the academic mission of the university or not, but if they do, it could certainly be a deciding factor in whether or not a change is made. It's a decision that goes well beyond North Stadium.

This might seem silly to some, but a number of big-time recruits only consider schools based on whether they are Nike or Adidas. A lot of that stems from what their AAU team wore and the relationship that was built. Of course, the super blue chip recruits get under the table deals that grant them X amount of dollars once they turn pro. It's a seedy business.

Who has the safest equipment, specifically the shoes?

Who will give us the most perks? 

What do the players want?

Who gives us the best monetary deal?

What do the coaches want?

Who wants us and believes we are the best of the best clients/school?

I would want those questions answered, and then make the best decision.

This might seem silly to some, but a number of big-time recruits only consider schools based on whether they are Nike or Adidas. A lot of that stems from what their AAU team wore and the relationship that was built. Of course, the super blue chip recruits get under the table deals that grant them X amount of dollars once they turn pro. It's a seedy business.

Not silly to me. I have seen future recruits twitter pages. 99% post pictures of and talk about Nike/Jordan shoes.

Or if youre a good coach or build prestige it doesnt matter.  UCLA and Michigan have several high caliber Nike AAU guys.  A lot of them did Nike camps, apart of Nike Global Challenge, Nike Hoops Summit, etc and chose an Adidas school.  

So how is it that Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, Louisville, Baylor, NC State, Notre Dame, Saint Mary's, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Wisconsin - all Adidas sponsored schools - are able to attract any talent?

It CAN'T just be all about the shoes.  Methinks that's more of an excuse than anything.

(fwiw, I brought this same topic up a while ago, it was something that Sam McKewon or Dirk Chatelain wrote something about, and was roundly shouted down by the Adidas apologists)

I'm not sure it actually makes any difference, or at least, enough of one to get all bothered about.

(fwiw pt2, I am ambivalent personally what shoe sponsor NU has.  Well, between Adidas and Nike.  UA can suck donkeys, they make horrible, horrible stuff)

I like the Adidas football unis better than Nike personally, and probably the Nike hoops kit is nicer even though it's close.  But unless there is a real tangible reason for switching sponsors, I'd be not unhappy to just stick with Adidas.  They've been good to NU.

I like the Adidas football unis better than Nike personally, and probably the Nike hoops kit is nicer even though it's close.  But unless there is a real tangible reason for switching sponsors, I'd be not unhappy to just stick with Adidas.  They've been good to NU.

Not to burst your bubble but the jerseys for ALL Nebraska sports are not done by Adidas.  They are all manufactured by other companies and put the Adidas logo on them.