Can we finally talk CBI?

PimpMario

I have a feeling that the Vegas 16 is going to appeal to teams around our caliber who don't make the NCAA or NIT, but are in powerhouse basketball conferences. We'd probably see the likes of Nebraska, Creighton, Arizona State, Oregon, etc. types of teams in that tournament.

:huh::huh::huh: Huh....Oregon?????

Well of course I was referring to historical average caliber and not this specific year ;) I hope my overall point still came across.

Vegas could be a reward for the players.

I thought some big 10 team broke the big 10 seal in the cbi

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Purdue did during Miles' first season. We got an invite also but Miles said he wasn't going to be the first B1G coach to accept a CBI invite.
So Purdue tended up after the CBI!

If we go to the CBI then in 2 years...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've been doing some research on the Vegas 16.

It's going to slot higher in the food chain than the CBI.

It's possible that it will slot higher than the NIT at some point.

http://bdglobalsports.com/?p=2170

I think they can realistically go after NIT teams. Here are the two big differences between the tourneys

1) All of their games are in one place over 5 days instead of starting at a local campus.

2) TV ratings are probably just as big of a factor as overall RPI/Ratings/Performance in selecting the teams.

Thus, if you're a team like Arkansas and Memphis who is projected to be a lower NIT seed and thus starting their first game on the road, going out to Vegas for a tournament might be a lot more attractive to you. The tournament itself runs from the Saturday of the Final 8 games to the Wednesday before the Final 4.

What does that mean for us?  If we're CBI level good there is a very good chance that instead we're either going to this Vegas tourney or enough people will go to that tourney that we slot up into the NIT.

I think they can realistically go after NIT teams. Here are the two big differences between the tourneys

1) All of their games are in one place over 5 days instead of starting at a local campus.

2) TV ratings are probably just as big of a factor as overall RPI/Ratings/Performance in selecting the teams.

Thus, if you're a team like Arkansas and Memphis who is projected to be a lower NIT seed and thus starting their first game on the road, going out to Vegas for a tournament might be a lot more attractive to you. The tournament itself runs from the Saturday of the Final 8 games to the Wednesday before the Final 4.

What does that mean for us? If we're CBI level good there is a very good chance that instead we're either going to this Vegas tourney or enough people will go to that tourney that we slot up into the NIT.

You said it better than I was able to. 100% agree.

What does that mean for us?  If we're CBI level good there is a very good chance that instead we're either going to this Vegas tourney or enough people will go to that tourney that we slot up into the NIT.

Now, that is a tourney I could get behind. *ALL on TV*, and Vegas for a week. Niiiiiiice.

This right here makes this look really good:

Downing, whose company manages three other college basketball events during the regular season in Las Vegas, said, “This is much like a bowl game in many respects. There will be ancillary activities for the teams and fans upon arrival, the event gives our teams two extra weeks of practice, and it culminates in a world-class city on a high-profile stage.”

You know where you are going.  Get two weeks to get set up and get to play as long as you can win.  If this goes like they want it to, this tournament could be very good and competitive.  One of the things that kind of hurts other ones is that you know like on Sunday night where and when you are playing and everybody has to scramble to get there.  Now you have two weeks to get the team, fans and families ready to go.  Only negative I can see is how long you stay.

I think this would be very interesting to see how this goes this year.  Also wouldn't mind being in it.