2016 Husker Baseball

huskerbaseball13

Yeah, we've been winning ugly, and today we lost big ugly.  The 2 picked off base plays showed we weren't locked in mentally.  3 picks off during the series.  No excuse for that.  Jake P. and Rev are trying to lead this team, but they don't seem to get much help.  the rest are pretty quiet.     

I find the Warren Nolan RPI metric to be somewhat weird. Comparing us with tomorrow's opponent

Creighton #28 (20-7):

Home: 14-2

Away: 6-5

1-50: 0-3

51-100: 0-1

101-200: 17-3

201+: 3-0

Nebraska #78 (22-10):

Home: 13-4

Away: 8-5

Neutral: 1-1

1-50: 3-2

51-100: 7-4

101-200: 5-3

201+: 7-1

Clearly having 10 wins against the top 100 doesn't make up for having 5 more games (one being a loss) against 201+. If anything, those two teams look fairly even to me, but we're 50 spots apart.

I find the Warren Nolan RPI metric to be somewhat weird. Comparing us with tomorrow's opponent

Creighton #28 (20-7):

Home: 14-2

Away: 6-5

1-50: 0-3

51-100: 0-1

101-200: 17-3

201+: 3-0

Nebraska #78 (22-10):

Home: 13-4

Away: 8-5

Neutral: 1-1

1-50: 3-2

51-100: 7-4

101-200: 5-3

201+: 7-1

Clearly having 10 wins against the top 100 doesn't make up for having 5 more games (one being a loss) against 201+. If anything, those two teams look fairly even to me, but we're 50 spots apart.

Our opponents winning percentage is far worse at this point...mostly thanks to teams like UNC, Purdue, and NW.  That will even out with our remaning schedule and Creighton having to play Big East opponents. 

Yeah, that seems to be a massive difference. I was just surprised a bit that our much greater # of games and wins against the top 100 still leaves that big of a gap. Seems more important to avoid scheduling 200+ teams as opposed to winning games against quality opponents  :mellow:

So we are playing 4 games against top 50 competition this week. Ideally, and realistically, what's a good result for the week? I'm thinking they have to for sure go 2-2. 3-1 is possible but will be extremely tough.

This team needs to win the Mich and Mich St series if they want a realistic chance at being in the at large discussion. 

So we are playing 4 games against top 50 competition this week. Ideally, and realistically, what's a good result for the week? I'm thinking they have to for sure go 2-2. 3-1 is possible but will be extremely tough.

I say 3 - 1 is a must. If we would have went 5 - 0 last week, we could have gotten by going .500 this week. Having said that, I am going to echo Erstad in saying we just have to start worrying about the way we are playing. If we play up to our abilities, wins will take care of themselves.

Damn... Things are not looking great for the ole big red machine.

We have absolutely got to get a couple wins this weekend.  A sweep isn't necessary per say, but it would make me feel a lot better.  A couple wins is a must though.

I knew there was always a chance that our bats cooled off... But we have to find ways to win when the bats a cold.  

Overall... we are in a little slump and rut, but we are far from out of things regional wise, so we need to get our heads out of our arse before it is too late.

Damn... Things are not looking great for the ole big red machine.

We have absolutely got to get a couple wins this weekend. A sweep isn't necessary per say, but it would make me feel a lot better. A couple wins is a must though.

I knew there was always a chance that our bats cooled off... But we have to find ways to win when the bats a cold.

Overall... we are in a little slump and rut, but we are far from out of things regional wise, so we need to get our heads out of our arse before it is too late.

We will have to go on a serious run to be in the discussion. It's very likely it will come down to the Big Ten tournament. If we fail to make a regional this year hopefully quite a few MLB jobs open up.

Everyone seems to assume it's about head up arse, getting the act together, etc. Has it occurred to anyone we just might not be very good? Not enough good players?

I think it's pretty well known our pitching staff is bad. And tough to expect the bats to remain hot all year. But why anyone would expect more out of this program with Erstad running it I don't know. I expect to be an "okay" program until he proves otherwise.

Everyone seems to assume it's about head up arse, getting the act together, etc. Has it occurred to anyone we just might not be very good? Not enough good players?

I think it's pretty well known our pitching staff is bad. And tough to expect the bats to remain hot all year. But why anyone would expect more out of this program with Erstad running it I don't know. I expect to be an "okay" program until he proves otherwise.

I guess I'm suggesting it's more recruiting than anything else.  I see a lot of sound baseball decisions.  I haven't seen him lose his teams, haven't heard of  chemistry problems or lack of motivation.   You always make it personal and very biting with Ersty and I'm not going there, other than to acknowledge we're not where any of us would want us to be. 

I guess I'm suggesting it's more recruiting than anything else. I see a lot of sound baseball decisions. I haven't seen him lose his teams, haven't heard of chemistry problems or lack of motivation. You always make it personal and very biting with Ersty and I'm not going there, other than to acknowledge we're not where any of us would want us to be.

Nothing personal outside he had no business getting the job in the first place. That, and he hasn't been getting it done. He has yet to put a complete team together. My hopes was as he gained coaching experience he would adjust to the college game. Has not come to fruition yet.....win the Big Ten or bust this year.