uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 24 - Rutgers

uneblinstu

I'm not even sure what to say...

- I probably should start with Shavon. That was absolutely terrifying. Fortunately, the worst case seems to have been averted. I've seen reports that he has movement and that he was unconscious for a while. Miles said the doctors and trainers wouldn't let him move to prevent any further injury until they could get him to a hospital, which probably made it look worse than it actually was. So, early reports seem encouraging. Hopefully that continues to be the case. I don't think I've ever heard an arena go that quiet for that long. Really scary stuff, especially when his mom was running around the court.

- In terms of the game itself, early on, things played out as I feared they would. It seemed like NU was phoning it in a bit early. Rutgers played with better energy and urgency. They made some shots, the fans were nervous.

- NU switched to a zone midway through the first half and it really gave Rutgers a lot of fits. I think it led to an 18-3 NU run, IIRC.

- Watson was really good today. He just missed out on a double-double but he could have easily had it if a couple of his teammates would have finished at the rim a couple times late. Had a couple shots rim out, too. After a little bit of a sloppy start, he played really well.

- Morrow and White were in double-double range, too. Ed played well, which was good to see considering how we'd heard about his feet hurting him. Hopefully he can keep playing through it.

- Jacobson keeps putting in yeoman's work. He's a better shooter than people realize and he keeps doing a lot of dirty work in the paint. He's still going to get outmanned against bigger teams, but not sure we have a ton of those left other than Purdue at the end. Maybe Northwestern.

- Interesting to see Evelyn and Fuller get minutes today. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or rhythm to when they get minutes. Maybe there is. IDK.

- Andrew White had a monster game. 21 points, 8 boards. He was really good today.

- Thought the halftime honoring of the 90-91 team was pretty underwhelming. If you're going to celebrate the best team in school history, a video tribute would have been appropriate, I think. We really didn't see much about that team. It would have been cool to relive that season a little more.

- Expecting NU to play as well as they did in Piscataway was probably a little lofty, I think all things considered, they played ok. I think they learned you can't assume anything at this level and got it turned around before it was too late and did what they were supposed to do vs. a team like Rutgers. Going forward, who knows what to expect, especially if Shields can't go.

- Interesting to see Evelyn and Fuller get minutes today. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or rhythm to when they get minutes. Maybe there is. IDK.

I think it had a lot to do with being sick of seeing guys get burned on defense there at points. McVeigh wasn't rebounding which is why Fuller came in. Sanders was burning through everyone as well.

Remarks from Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles and Men’s Basketball Athletic Trainer R.J. Pietig after today’s game with Rutgers regarding Nebraska forward Shavon Shields, who was carted off the court midway through the second half of today’s game with Rutgers and taken to a local hospital.

R.J. Pietig: Shavon Shields is at the emergency room right now, he’s about to start further testing. (It is) kind of the same status as when he left Pinnacle Bank Arena. He’s alert, he’s awake, has sensation in his hands and in his feet, and I guess at this time we don’t know too much other than we’ll be going for further testing and we just have to wait to see what comes from those.”

Did he lose consciousness?

Pietig: Yes he did. He was out roughly a minute, because when I got to the floor he was unconscious and once coach got there and Dr. (David) Clare arrived he came back to within a few seconds.

Coach Miles: He didn’t recall anything that had happened.

Was that his mom (who came out to the court)?

Coach Miles: Yes, I asked his mom (Senia) to come out.

He could move his arms and legs?

Pietig: Yes, he had movement and sensation in his arms and his legs.

On the court?

Pietig: On the court, as well as off the court.

Coach Miles: He didn’t move because we told him not to move, so he was just following directions. Obviously, you want to take as much precaution as you can in that situation so some people are like “he didn’t move, he didn’t move” well that’s because he was just following directions and it was for his welfare.

Really like the development of Jacobsen he's finally getting over his injury from the off-season and is getting comfortable and man is he showing his skill set, an off season of strength and development plus continued work on his jump shot, he's going to be a problem for teams next year

Fuller's minutes increased when Miles went to zone. When Miles went to man defense, Webster/Parker came in.

I liked how well the guys played zone defense. Rutgers didn't have the outside shooters to break the zone.

I was running when I saw Shields go down and had to stop. That was probably one of the hardest moments I have experienced watching Nebrasketball. I hope he makes a full recovery.

I went from being terrified when I saw Shavon go down to scared to full of prayer to relief when I heard that he was released from the hospital tonight...goodness!  From a game perspective, he started off slow, but he had it going at the time of his fall.  We will see if he can play against Wisconsin, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I really thought our two-headed post players (Michael and Ed) played terrific ball today.  Nice to see them with some post moves and they finished well.  

Man we started badly...but the last 30 minutes (but for Shavon's injury) was pretty good basketball.

Tai, Shavon, Jack, Benny, Jake and Glynn were all in the doghouse at one time or another today.

We needed that win.  Glad we took care of business.