Why was Benny leaving Trimble to double down?

Section_316

Turgeon clearly isolated those two on the right side and let them go to work. He got exactly what he wanted two HUGE trips in a row when Benny left Trimble wide open to go pick at the post. The post guy saw Benny coming from a mile away and saw his teams best player standing wide open. Two easy passes, two wide open 3s for maybe the best player in the league, and our backs were broke.

and NO, PLEASE don't turn this into a we did a million other things wrong thread. I know that. We missed 6 transition layups. Missed the front end 3 times, gave up offensive rebounds on missed free throws four times. I am talking about these two plays--- 

what was the thinking behind this??

I understand what you are talking about 316.  My head about exploded the first time it happened, and then couldn't believe it happened the second time.  I heard Coach talk about it in his post-game discussion, and better understood the breakdown.  Yet during the game I was picking up brain matter that was on and around my seating section... :blink:

i don't think miles wanted to give up 10 easy dunks like we did with hammons. basically had to pick our poison between stone and trimble.

A double from twelve feet away with a 5'8" guy when they are running a two man game... Never going to work.

It will work when the post puts the ball on the floor which most do. There are times when a coach will tell a player not to help off who they are guarding but in the big picture of your normal defensive rotations, it was the second rotation that was the problem not the first. We weren't "helping the helper" fast enough. They need to start rotating as soon as the help goes to the post, not on the catch. I usually tried to help from the perimeter but one pass away from the passer to not give the easy return pass to the post feeder. When teams are spaced correctly the whole thing is very difficult no matter where you help from.

i don't think miles wanted to give up 10 easy dunks like we did with hammons. basically had to pick our poison between stone and trimble.

A double from twelve feet away with a 5'8" guy when they are running a two man game... Never going to work.

It will work when the post puts the ball on the floor which most do. There are times when a coach will tell a player not to help off who they are guarding but in the big picture of your normal defensive rotations, it was the second rotation that was the problem not the first. We weren't "helping the helper" fast enough. They need to start rotating as soon as the help goes to the post, not on the catch. I usually tried to help from the perimeter but one pass away from the passer to not give the easy return pass to the post feeder. When teams are spaced correctly the whole thing is very difficult no matter where you help from.
Lots of good points made, but let's go back to the original question. I don't think we were going to get beat one on one in the post with shields down low. He wasn't covering diamond stone, so let him go one on one and not have to worry about rotations and a potential wide open three point shot.

I think Trimble elevated over Benny no problem toward the end of the game last year too, so that's just a bad matchup for us. As far as the double, I think we had to do it. Miles also said the rotation was slow to come over and help on Trimble after the double ... specifically Watson and Webster were guilty (and likely Watson's struggles defensively led to him playing less minutes last night).