Tyronn Lue is the new Head Coach of the Cavs

AuroranHusker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you and I should keep pushing this until someone with more clout takes note, Auroran. The only possible reason not to do this is that he only played three years here. But that didn't keep KU from putting up Wilt's number and he only played for two years. From a selfish, marketing standpoint it would certainly make sense to jump on the Lue bandwagon while it is still careening down the hill. Hopefully some suitable time could be arranged when he could attend the ceremony. I just wish that instead of two shout outs to Mexico Missouri, he could have substituted one for dear old NU.

Maybe you and I should keep pushing this until someone with more clout takes note, Auroran. The only possible reason not to do this is that he only played three years here. But that didn't keep KU from putting up Wilt's number and he only played for two years. From a selfish, marketing standpoint it would certainly make sense to jump on the Lue bandwagon while it is still careening down the hill. Hopefully some suitable time could be arranged when he could attend the ceremony. I just wish that instead of two shout outs to Mexico Missouri, he could have substituted one for dear old NU.

Some schools have rules for jersey hanging.Ā  I'm not sure if we require our players to have graduated or not.Ā  I know Steph Curry's college jersey isn't hung yet, and it won't be until he gets his degree.

Ā 

That said, I'd like to see Lue's jersey in the rafters, for sure.

Ā 

Maybe he's saving that for our first NCAA Tourny Win or B1G Championship!Ā  :)

Need to get the Cavs to Lincoln for an NBA exhibition game next (after the Bulls were at PBA in Oct. '15)~!

Terran Petteway will be playing on the Milwaukee Bucks' summer league team. Maybe he can parlay that into a camp invite, so he could be there during preseason. Cavs-Bucks, anyone?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Ā 

Ā 

Some schools have rules for jersey hanging.Ā  I'm not sure if we require our players to have graduated or not.Ā  I know Steph Curry's college jersey isn't hung yet, and it won't be until he gets his degree.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Lee B mentioned in his column today that Tyronn has his degree now, so that isn't what's holding him back here.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Lee B mentioned in his column today that Tyronn has his degree now, so that isn't what's holding him back here.

Ā 

Ā 

It's going to happen. What better time to do it than after Lue is crowned a champion as the head coach of the Cavs. DO IT, NU!!

What impresses me so much about Lue is how he adjusted during the course of the series.Ā  He got outchoached something fierce in the first couple games.Ā  It was ridiculous how he was not letting Irving and Bron operate with a court that was spread.Ā  He kept trying these idiotic post ups to Bron and Love from about 15-20 feet away.Ā  Warriors are so good at doubling it was resulting in rushed shots at the end of clocks.Ā  It was a great adjustment figuring out what he should have already known.Ā  But many don't make it.Ā  He did.Ā  And not a coincidence at all that Irving dominated the rest of the way.Ā  He went from getting outcoached to dominating Kerr by constantly finding ways to isolate Bron and Irving on guys that couldn't mark them on an Island.Ā  Truly amazing coaching job.Ā  Given the culture, I don't think there if much of a shot of Cavs winning if they didn't make the change.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, that stood out to me. No idea what the hang up is.

I am honestly trying to understand where there is a downside to raising this guy's jersey to the rafters. Are we afraid we are going to run out of jersey numbers? Are we waiting for some basketball player to accomplish more in a career at Nebraska or in the NBA? Does it matter that he has won an NBA title as a first year coach? Of course it does. What someone accomplishes after he leaves college matters quite a lot when decisions are made to honor them later. Just look at the alumni who are honored each year. They are honored for what they did after graduation, not for the grades they made as an undergraduate. Now is the time to do this and someone who is powerful enough just has to get behind the idea and get it done. If SE can't do it, maybe TO can step up.

Okay, while maybe not a 1 for 1 analogue here I did a quick look at a couple other *pretty* successful NBA coaches and it appears

Ā 

Pat Riley had his jersey retired at Kentucky.

Phil Jackson doesn't appear to have had his jersey retired at North Dakota but I can't tell for 100% sure.

Larry Brown's jersey number is "honored" but not retired at North Carolina.

Steve Kerr's jersey is retired at Arizona.

Info is sketchy but Gregg Popovich does not appear to have his jersey retired at Air Force.

I couldn't find the info but would be willing to bet that Bill Russell, K.C.Jones, Tom Heinsohn, and Bill Sharman have also had their collegiate numbers retired. I know Bob Cousy and Jeff Hornacek have had their numbers retired at Holy Cross and Iowa State and they weren't even particularly successful coaches.

Ā I also found out that Len Wilkens' number was retired at Providence but Don Nelson's was not at Iowa. Maybe that is because he did not get his undergraduate degree until 2012 or maybe it was because he built his home in Hawaii out of hemp and has been known to dine on beer. Isn't this a fun way to spend a Wednesday morning, if you don't have any work to do?

Ā I also found out that Len Wilkens' number was retired at Providence but Don Nelson's was not at Iowa. Maybe that is because he did not get his undergraduate degree until 2012 or maybe it was because he built his home in Hawaii out of hemp and has been known to dine on beer. Isn't this a fun way to spend a Wednesday morning, if you don't have any work to do?

Ā 

Jimmy, retirement sounds awesome. Ā I can't wait to join you. Ā