200 minutes

Huskerpapa

Let's play a bit of a guessing game.  Next year we have 200 minutes to disberse per game.  Where do the minutes go.  Let's assume that nobody will get more than 30 minutes a game.  Here is take number one:

Ray           25

Deverell    25

Benny        0

Shavon     25

Petteway   20

Peltz           0

Pitchford    25

Rivers        10

Sergej         0

Fuller          25

Webster      25

Hawkins      10

TBD            10

This is kind of hard :P -- It may be difficult to get down to a eight or nine minute rotation.  It tells me, that we may be born to run.  Who redshirts?  Who loses or who gains minutes???

That is tough, but I will play

Ray           25

Deverell    20

Benny       10

Shavon     25

Petteway   25

Peltz          5

Pitchford   25

Rivers        15

Sergej      0 or TRANSFER  

Fuller       20  

Webster  20   

Hawkins    REDSHIRT 

TBD            10

We should go look at Miles' stats at CSU before we take these guesses.  Some coaches like using short benches; others use longer benches.  This year's bench is probably shorter than what Miles would prefer but that's because of personnel.  Next year, we add at least 6 players to the list of eligible guys and drop 3, so that's a net gain of at least 3 more bodies.  My guesses ...

Gallegos 26

Pitchford 25

Petteway 25

Webster 24

Shields 23

Fuller 21

Rivers 19

Hawkins 17

Parker 10

Biggs 10

Everyone else, garbage minutes or redshirts.  I think the competition for minutes will be fierce.  If Webster is as good as advertised, I'm guessing he'll start.  That's because he gives Miles a kid at point who can score the ball.  I don't think Biggs does that, and, unless Parker improves a bunch, he doesn't either.  So Webster is a guy the opposing defense will have to guard and he should, therefore, get some minutes, probably at more than one spot.

If we add more recruits to this class, then the above numbers might change a bit.  But, based on what we know right now, that's my guess.  Just a guess.

That is tough, but I will play

Ray           25

Deverell    20

Benny       10

Shavon     25

Petteway   25

Peltz          5

Pitchford   25

Rivers        15

Sergej      0 or TRANSFER  

Fuller       20  

Webster  20   

Hawkins    REDSHIRT 

TBD            10

What's the probability Hawkins red shirts next year? I thought it would be about zero chance he does.

We should go look at Miles' stats at CSU before we take these guesses.  Some coaches like using short benches; others use longer benches.  This year's bench is probably shorter than what Miles would prefer but that's because of personnel.  Next year, we add at least 6 players to the list of eligible guys and drop 3, so that's a net gain of at least 3 more bodies.  My guesses ...

Gallegos 26

Pitchford 25

Petteway 25

Webster 24

Shields 23

Fuller 21

Rivers 19

Hawkins 17

Parker 10

Biggs 10

Everyone else, garbage minutes or redshirts.  I think the competition for minutes will be fierce.  If Webster is as good as advertised, I'm guessing he'll start.  That's because he gives Miles a kid at point who can score the ball.  I don't think Biggs does that, and, unless Parker improves a bunch, he doesn't either.  So Webster is a guy the opposing defense will have to guard and he should, therefore, get some minutes, probably at more than one spot.

If we add more recruits to this class, then the above numbers might change a bit.  But, based on what we know right now, that's my guess.  Just a guess.

Can't see Fuller and Hawkins both getting that many minutes next year.  Parker and Biggs will play more than that.

This is tough to do not knowing who's actually going to be on the roster.  Initial guess would look like this:

Gallegos - 34

Rivers - 18

Biggs - 21

Pitchford - 22

Pettaway - 22

Shields - 21

Parker - 28

Vucetic - 0

Webster - 24

Fuller - 10

Hawkins - RS

CW I think if Benny is healthy he gets more than 0 minutes unless you mean he will redshirt.  Also think that if Rivers makes the kind of improvement between this year and next as to what it appears he did from last year to this year he will get more minutes.

I had Benny for 10 minutes.  I show Rivers having 15 minutes, meaning he would be #8 in minutes.  I cannot actually argue with anyone though.  To me, this is going to be a VERY SWEET situation that we may find ourselves in.  My hope and for the need of the program, we need the type of talent that we appear to be getting and then we need players to start to separate themselves from others.  I am not sure either David or Benny can separate themselves.  I see them as probable role players. 

CW I think if Benny is healthy he gets more than 0 minutes unless you mean he will redshirt.  Also think that if Rivers makes the kind of improvement between this year and next as to what it appears he did from last year to this year he will get more minutes.

I had Benny for 10 minutes.  I show Rivers having 15 minutes, meaning he would be #8 in minutes.  I cannot actually argue with anyone though.  To me, this is going to be a VERY SWEET situation that we may find ourselves in.  My hope and for the need of the program, we need the type of talent that we appear to be getting and then we need players to start to separate themselves from others.  I am not sure either David or Benny can separate themselves.  I see them as probable role players. 

CWG, you might want to edit your initial post, then, as it shows Benny with 0 minutes.   Probably just didn't type the "1" hard enough.  ;)

Biggs will be interesting.  He will get 0 minutes if he has any more incidents.  If he does well and has no more legal scrapes, he will still miss some games early as a suspension.  Eventually I would say he's more likely to be a 10-20 minute guy than a 20-35 minute guy.  If Ray continues to improve, especially in driving the ball, I think he could be a 28-33 minute guy.

Can't see Fuller and Hawkins both getting that many minutes next year.  Parker and Biggs will play more than that.

This is tough to do not knowing who's actually going to be on the roster.  

Fuller and Hawkins play different spots.  And there are limited bodies at the positions Fuller can play. 

Fuller is going to get minutes because of his size (unless we sign another big who brings something more to the table off the bat. and, as you said, this is tough not knowing who will actually be on the roster.)  You anticipate Parker and Biggs getting more minutes than Hawkins, but the reason why I have Hawkins getting more minutes is because I know he can shoot.  His HS average last I checked was over 40% from beyond the arc.  That's a kid that opposing Ds cannot lay off of.  And remember what Miles said about PGs who can't shoot.  He doesn't like having the opposing D only have to cover 4 of our players.  That's why Benny's minutes would be shortened and why I think Biggs won't command time.  Word on him from multiple sources, published and otherwise, is that he doesn't light it up when he shoots it.

Webster, if he lives up or even close to the hype, should get starter's minutes swinging between the point and 2.  Hawkins is a versatile player who was listed by some recruiting services as a point but who could clearly play either wing spot.  Fuller can probably play the 3 or the 4 and, with limited bodies with size presently on the roster or committed, I'm predicting we see a lot of Fuller next year unless we get another big signed who can contribute right away.  Otherwise, we'll be limited to Pitchford, Shields, Rivers and Fuller rotating along the front line.  And maybe Petteway, I suppose.

Overall, I just think we're bringing in some freshmen next year who will command relatively strong minutes for freshmen.  Sek Henry/Ryan Anderson-type freshman minutes.  Ryan Anderson averaged more than 25 minutes as a true freshman and Sek Henry more than 21.  I have Webster getting 24 minutes, Fuller getting 21 and Hawkins getting 17, which is more like Toney McCray freshman minutes.  Compare that with Collier's second season when true freshmen Jake Muhleisen averaged more than 29 minutes, John Turek almost 23 and Corey Simms about 12 and a half.  If we're upgrading the talent, they should get the kinds of minutes I'm projecting. 

One of the big things IMO that will get Benny Parker minutes is how good of an on-ball defender he is.  If you watch him in games, he is under his man so well and very seldomly loses him.  VERY good on ball defender which can really dictate things for our defense.  If he does happen to get beat, we will hopefully have more shot blocking ability next season with Pitchford (and hopefully Attewe). 

Its exciting seeing guys (on paper at least) that look to be much more athletic but also some SHOOTERS which NU has lacked in so, so long.  If Hawkins, Fuller and Webster can continue to shoot good percentages that is only going to open things up that much more for Gallegos and others.  And if Biggs is as good at getting to the hoop as some have said, teams will either have to help on him (at which he can kick to a shooter) or stay on there man and Biggs can get to the rim.  I like what we have coming in next year and am very excited about the future of our team.  Like everybody else, would still love to see one more big come to NU (hopefully Attewe). 

This is tough to do not knowing who's actually going to be on the roster.  Initial guess would look like this:

Gallegos - 34

Rivers - 18

Biggs - 21

Pitchford - 22

Pettaway - 22

Shields - 21

Parker - 28

Vucetic - 0

Webster - 24

Fuller - 10

Hawkins - RS

uneblinstu, as I look at this, I'm wondering what kind of lineups you foresee us putting on the floor.  I take it you must see us going small a lot next year (depending, of course, on whether we add any more recruits to this class.)  There are really only a limited number of bigs and we're really stretching including Rivers as one of them because he's so skinny.  But that's where he's been playing and he's long and you play the players that you have.  But you've allocated only 22 minutes to our 6'10" guy and only 71 minutes total to guys who are 6'7" or taller.

You have Parker, Biggs, Webster and Gallegos -- all of whom are 6'3" or shorter -- playing a combined 99 minutes.  Those 4 would get almost half the total minutes on the team under your scenario.  Given your distribution of minutes, those 4 would have to be on the court at the same time at least periodically.  I just don't see that happening.  I think if Biggs plays big minutes, it will come at the expense of Parker.  And vice versa.  The more likely scenario in my opinion is that Webster gets the minutes and Biggs and Parker spell him at the point in some distribution of whatever point guard minutes are left.  And Webster might slide over to the 2 from time to time so Benny and Dev might pick up an extra minute or two from that as well.  But I sure don't think we'll see a combined 49 minutes from Parker and Biggs.

I don't see us going as short as you seem to think we will.  I think Pitchford, by default, is going to get fairly solid minutes.  And, with the departure of Ubel and Almeida, I don't think Rivers' and Shields' minutes are going to go down.  But you have them both getting fewer minutes next year and Parker getting more, even though there will be more competition at the guard spots.

Gallegos - 34

Rivers - 18

Biggs - 21

Pitchford - 22

Pettaway - 22

Shields - 21

Parker - 28

Vucetic - 0

Webster - 24

Fuller - 10

Hawkins - RS

uneblinstu, as I look at this, I'm wondering what kind of lineups you foresee us putting on the floor.  I take it you must see us going small a lot next year (depending, of course, on whether we add any more recruits to this class.)  There are really only a limited number of bigs and we're really stretching including Rivers as one of them because he's so skinny.  But that's where he's been playing and he's long and you play the players that you have.  But you've allocated only 22 minutes to our 6'10" guy and only 71 minutes total to guys who are 6'7" or taller.

You have Parker, Biggs, Webster and Gallegos -- all of whom are 6'3" or shorter -- playing a combined 99 minutes.  Those 4 would get almost half the total minutes on the team under your scenario.  Given your distribution of minutes, those 4 would have to be on the court at the same time at least periodically.  I just don't see that happening.  I think if Biggs plays big minutes, it will come at the expense of Parker.  And vice versa.  The more likely scenario in my opinion is that Webster gets the minutes and Biggs and Parker spell him at the point in some distribution of whatever point guard minutes are left.  And Webster might slide over to the 2 from time to time so Benny and Dev might pick up an extra minute or two from that as well.  But I sure don't think we'll see a combined 49 minutes from Parker and Biggs.

I don't see us going as short as you seem to think we will.  I think Pitchford, by default, is going to get fairly solid minutes.  And, with the departure of Ubel and Almeida, I don't think Rivers' and Shields' minutes are going to go down.  But you have them both getting fewer minutes next year and Parker getting more, even though there will be more competition at the guard spots.

It's a total crap shoot at this point. I think two of them will be on the floor at all times. I don't see Gallegos leaving the floor much next year. How does that impact the distribution of minutes? I have no idea. I think we're going to have to go fairly small out of necessity because I don't think we're going to be very deep at the post.

I didn't think about it that deeply.

We should go look at Miles' stats at CSU before we take these guesses.  Some coaches like using short benches; others use longer benches.  

OK, so I looked.  Miles only went about 8 deep on his team last year at CSU.  But in the 4 years prior to that, he pretty typically played 9 or 10 in the double-figure minutes category.  And I think his second year there, he had 12 guys who averaged double figure minutes (albeit a couple of them only played in about half the games, so figure those two count as one guy -- which means he went basically 11 deep.)

The more I look at this, unless we get a JUCO big or perhaps even Atewe, we're gonna have to go small at times. We could look a lot like Wisconsin in the sense that you've got 4 to 5 guys who can step out and hit the 3 at times. It won't be all the time, but it could be a fair amount. If that's the case, it's very likely that we'll see scenarios with Parker, Biggs, Gallegos and Webster (or pick a bunch of other guys that could fit in there) on the floor at the same time. I don't think that's out of the question at all.

I understand what you're saying, uneblinstu, about going smaller.  But I just don't see Parker and Biggs getting one fourth of the team's total minutes.  If we're going to go small, we better go small with a team that can shoot and I just don't think Parker or Biggs bring that to the table.  I think whoever turns out to be the better between Parker and Biggs probably gets the minutes.  I gave them both 10 but the reality is one will probably play and the other will probably sit.

I understand what you're saying, uneblinstu, about going smaller.  But I just don't see Parker and Biggs getting one fourth of the team's total minutes.  If we're going to go small, we better go small with a team that can shoot and I just don't think Parker or Biggs bring that to the table.  I think whoever turns out to be the better between Parker and Biggs probably gets the minutes.  I gave them both 10 but the reality is one will probably play and the other will probably sit.
You're probably right on that. I don't necessarilly see the incoming freshman coming in and getting huge minutes right off the bat. Webster, maybe, if he's the guy he's been built up to be.

Miles had said on numerous occasions that he likes that 4 guard look with most guys being able to shoot the ball.  Much easier to get spacing on the floor to open up the drive and kick scenario.  So I would be surprised to see lineups of Webster, Fuller, Gallegos and either (Parker or Biggs) with Pitchford/Rivers/Petteway being the "bigger" guy on the floor.  If all indications are true, Pitchford can also step out and shoot the 3 ball which gives you yet another option on a shooter.

Wow, you guys are already apportioning minutes! I'd struggle just trying to determine a roster and depth chart.

The roster "should" be easier to figure out now.  At least I hope we don't need to fill 7 spots every year going forward.

If Miles improves his recruiting over the next couple of years, attrition is inevitable. And generally, it's higher in college sports these days anyway. We'll have a couple of players I think who won't be back next season.