Vote for the Nebraska Basketball Mount Rushmore

hal9000

Where does Shields fall into this discussion? Assuming he keeps playing well the rest of the year, and I expect he will, he's got to be in this conversation next time around, right?

How are we/he going to finish up this year? To me he's more Ryan Anderson than he is Piatkowski. I'm not entirely sure he's ever been the best player on any of the 4 teams he's been on. He's a very good player but Mount Rushmore discussion? Not so sure.

Where does Shields fall into this discussion? Assuming he keeps playing well the rest of the year, and I expect he will, he's got to be in this conversation next time around, right?

How are we/he going to finish up this year? To me he's more Ryan Anderson than he is Piatkowski. I'm not entirely sure he's ever been the best player on any of the 4 teams he's been on. He's a very good player but Mount Rushmore discussion? Not so sure.

That's one way to look at it. Shavon as the ultimate leader of the 2015-16 teams is the best player for Nebrasketball all-around right now; and if/when he brings NU to that Big Dance victory, I think Shields can and will be a "lock" for Husker infamy.

The best player is not always the one that scores the most points. I've thought from day one this year that Shields in the best player on this year's team.

It's important to distinguish the All-time greatest Husker team would be different from the "Mount Rushmore" of Husker basketball. The All-time team I think would be:

Lue

Petteway

Hoppen

Piatkowski

A. Smith

The other based on Historical significance as well as talent and ability would be:

Fred Hare

Jack Moore

Piatkowski

A. Smith 

He's quite a bit more than Ryan Anderson. He's, barring injury, going to be one of the top 5 scorers in school history. If he never scored another point, he'd be #10. I love RA, but he and Shields shouldn't be in the same conversation.

It's important to distinguish the All-time greatest Husker team would be different from the "Mount Rushmore" of Husker basketball. The All-time team I think would be:

Lue

Petteway

Hoppen

Piatkowski

A. Smith

The other based on Historical significance as well as talent and ability would be:

Fred Hare

Jack Moore

Piatkowski

A. Smith 

A couple of others that weren't mentioned in the top 12 and maybe should be are Chuck Jura, Marvin Stewart and Leroy Chalk.  Chuck and Marvin are 15th and 21st respectively in career scoring, but would rank higher on a PPG basis.  Leroy still holds the record for career RPG for conference games only at 10.5.  These 3 played together for 2 years and would surely have been in the NCAA those 2 years if the numbers taken today were taken in 1970 and 1971.

Lue

Petteway

Hoppen

Piatkowski

A. Smith

Fred Hare

Jack Moore

Piatkowski

A. Smith

There's a reason they didn't have Petteway on their list. He helped get Nebraska to the NCAA's but he's a Jaron Boone at best. He couldn't play a cohesive style with those other four guys you listed either. Strickland would fit better if you just want to build the best team.

Strick was a 3-time All Conference 1st Team Defender and had over a decade in the NBA.  I'm baffled why he isn't a shoe-in for this thing.  He was the best backcourt defender we've ever had here.  

I wouldn't necessarily argue; however, did you see Jerry Fort play?  I voted Jerry over Strick because Fort more often than not carried the team.  It was a close call, but Fort won out over Stick.  I would argue Lue and Fort were the two best guards to roll through Lincoln up to this point.

All jave been great choices. Is there anybody on here that can remember either Stu Lantz or Tom Baack playing.

I was going to games back then but was only 4-6 years old.

I watched them play in person a couple of times, watched the few games that were televised back then, and listened to many a game on the radio with Dave Blackwell on the call.  And I was both of them on the driveway shooting hoops.

Lantz, Baack and Scantlebury.  Leroy Chalk and Bob Grattop.  Then Marvin Stewart.  Loved Husker hoops ever since.  

While we are meandering down Husker memory lane, does anyone remember a Daryl Petsch playing at NU? He was a HS teammate of my old pledge bro at KU who came from Marysville, KS. I think he was a starter for NU at one time. And Cager doesn't have to reply since he was probably still sitting in the embryo section.