uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 20 - @ Michigan State

uneblinstu

Wow!!!    Had to DVR the game but stayed away from knowing the outcome until I could watch it.  What a great win.  Obviously terrific game from Shavon but everyone contributed.   Team really is playing with confidence right now.  We beat a very good team on a night when their best player played well and we even had to overcome some ridiculous calls (Whites 5th WTF??).   (Also were those TV announcers the Michigan St radio crew?  Can't remember a game with more on-sided commentary).

Anyway - this sets up Saturday as huge game.  We need to avoid a letdown and protect our home court !!   Hopefully we have a big enthusiastic crowd Saturday.

I love that.  I will always remember having to do that back in the day for a Pacers game when I was coaching legion ball.  Will never forget this epic 4th quarter. 

I watched the first half and 10 minutes of the second half at work thanks to comcast having BTN available online. I was stunned over and over how we were able to hold off runs by MSU especially being tied at half with Shavon and Andrew on the bench. As I left work Nebraska was up 64-56 after Jack's second 3 and Shavon's and 1. Then I got the radio feed on my phone to listen to on the ride home and I just got so stressed out by Kent's call (had a long ass day at work) that I switched to music hoping to be surprised when I got home.

I stopped at the corner store to pick up a few things and saw a text from my wife" OMG that ending was crazy!" That seemed positive so I ended up standing in the rain in front of the store with twitter pulled up on my phone catching up on the last few minutes of the game for about 10 minutes. My DVR will start recording it shortly so I can see the end.

-Get Jack open in the corner as often as possible. Also, his drive from the corner to the hoop with the left handed scoop-hook to rescue a bad possession was impressive. He had a great game. 

-It looked like Tai had Valentine locked down during his time in the game. Love seeing that defensive intensity. It seems like his game feeds off that. He also had two great little drives and short jumpers that kept the team in the game without the two leading scorers in the game.

-If you'd told me Andrew would play 19 minutes and score 7 points before the game started, man, I would have expected MSU to cover. So much growth with the freshmen lately.

-Glynn was awesome. We didn't have a lot of assists but we didn't need them since it was so easy for everyone to create their own shots. 6 turnovers as a team is pretty damn impressive though. I'll take that. His shot is still ugly, well, not pretty, to me, but his ability to create a mid-range shot and have it go in is something else.

-Shavon was just ridiculous, especially after we were all worried he wouldn't be back for the second half. 

The one active MSU board I checked had multiple threads about the refs. I mean, I thought we bitched about the refs but this was on another level. We both play by the same rules. Get some guys who can drive to the basket and you'll get some calls. 

I've seen a lot of people, both MSU and NU fans, complain about the hand-checking/grabbing/clutching rules but I think it it makes for a much more watchable game. I don't care if it looks more like the NBA (a complaint I've seen). I think that's better for college basketball. Let the guys who can make plays have some freedom to make plays. 

Finally, that time out when MSU went up 5-0 was so clutch. Really one of the best decisions I've seen Coach make in that regard. On the road, down quick and looking lost. Stop it right away and get everyone calmed down. I really think it made a big difference in the outcome.

A bit more from the other side:

"Don't blame my players; blame me," Izzo said. "I'm the one that's got to get us to play. We're going through a little mid-life crisis here, and we're going to find a way to get out of it."

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/article55765640.html

Denzel Valentine said. "They deserved to win that game."

I think Denzel is one of the 'classiest' players in the conference; his quote reminds me of Frank Kaminsky saying 'this was the most fun I've had at a game, and we lost that one' (or something like that) after the loss @ PBA. 

Izzo is my (next) favorite coach in the B1G; and sorry to see Bo Ryan retire.  Both show a lot of respect for Miles and the Huskers.

The one active MSU board I checked had multiple threads about the refs. I mean, I thought we bitched about the refs but this was on another level. We both play by the same rules. Get some guys who can drive to the basket and you'll get some calls. 

It's one of those deals where Michigan St has had a lot of foul trouble over the last several games, it's been a constant topic for them, and any little thing gets magnified.  I listened to that Hondo Carpenter guy from MSU cry about how basketball is turning into a joke because it's not physical enough.

Speaking of how physical MSU is, watch how Matt Costello reacts to Glynn Watson hitting a 3.

Sorry about the weird 2 second clip at the end...i still don't completely making vines.

I watched the first half and 10 minutes of the second half at work thanks to comcast having BTN available online. I was stunned over and over how we were able to hold off runs by MSU especially being tied at half with Shavon and Andrew on the bench. As I left work Nebraska was up 64-56 after Jack's second 3 and Shavon's and 1. Then I got the radio feed on my phone to listen to on the ride home and I just got so stressed out by Kent's call (had a long ass day at work) that I switched to music hoping to be surprised when I got home.

I stopped at the corner store to pick up a few things and saw a text from my wife" OMG that ending was crazy!" That seemed positive so I ended up standing in the rain in front of the store with twitter pulled up on my phone catching up on the last few minutes of the game for about 10 minutes. My DVR will start recording it shortly so I can see the end.

-Get Jack open in the corner as often as possible. Also, his drive from the corner to the hoop with the left handed scoop-hook to rescue a bad possession was impressive. He had a great game. 

-It looked like Tai had Valentine locked down during his time in the game. Love seeing that defensive intensity. It seems like his game feeds off that. He also had two great little drives and short jumpers that kept the team in the game without the two leading scorers in the game.

-If you'd told me Andrew would play 19 minutes and score 7 points before the game started, man, I would have expected MSU to cover. So much growth with the freshmen lately.

-Glynn was awesome. We didn't have a lot of assists but we didn't need them since it was so easy for everyone to create their own shots. 6 turnovers as a team is pretty damn impressive though. I'll take that. His shot is still ugly, well, not pretty, to me, but his ability to create a mid-range shot and have it go in is something else.

-Shavon was just ridiculous, especially after we were all worried he wouldn't be back for the second half. 

I've seen a lot of people, both MSU and NU fans, complain about the hand-checking/grabbing/clutching rules but I think it it makes for a much more watchable game. I don't care if it looks more like the NBA (a complaint I've seen). I think that's better for college basketball. Let the guys who can make plays have some freedom to make plays. 

Finally, that time out when MSU went up 5-0 was so clutch. Really one of the best decisions I've seen Coach make in that regard. On the road, down quick and looking lost. Stop it right away and get everyone calmed down. I really think it made a big difference in the outcome.

During the game, I was stressed because MSU was getting to the rim, pretty much untouched by us.  When we went to the rim, they were caught pushing and shoving.  But despite that, I believe the number of calls against each team was pretty equal.  But I do believe we got the benefit of a couple calls.  That is basketball.  When things are going well, you get calls, and when they are going bad, the calls go against you.

Two late thoughts after going through the thread this morning: 1) I am happy for the Michigan State fans who may now devote their full attention to that Saturday game they were worried about. 2) I am not familiar with the old saying which deals with pissing in someone's ear and calling it rain. Must be a South Dakota thing.

Was this Kent's test run on "Bang a Rang"? Or has he used it before?

I was wondering this myself.  Every year Kent is good for a few outrageous new sound bytes.  "Gigundus" and "Bang a Rang" stand out to me this year, but I missed quite a few games early in the season.

It has been a while since the Pavelkatron 5000 has been updated http://huskerhoopscentral.com/pavelkatron

Just 6 turnovers in East Lansing is incredible

But when you figure true freshmen played 94 minutes and had just 2 turnovers ... got to be some sort of NCAA record. ;) Those would be great numbers for true freshmen in a game in Lincoln against Wayne State. But against #11 MSU in East Lansing? Just wow. 

Watson's ability to play as well as he has offensively without turning the ball over is one of the most pleasant surprises of the entire season for me. And I think his defense has picked up the past few games. He was completely lost vs NW, but he seems to be figuring it out on that end now too.

Tim Miles mentioned in the post game that at the dead ball with 5 seconds left and were going to get fouled on the in bound pass, Shields told Miles in the huddle to get Jacobsen open to take the free throws.

The senior all star told the team to get the true freshman center (who was 100% on free throws last night) open for crucial free throws to preserve a win on the road against a top ten team

HOW'S THAT FOR TEAM CHEMISTRY!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like old  Mo' is wearing a Red jersey, and I'm not talkin' Iba! Michigan isn't gonna have some horses**t half court shot bail em'out this time.  This could be a very scary team come B1G tourney time, leading the Conference in shooting %, who'd a thunk it.                           

Agreed on Watson.  Not only is he a threat at all times offensively, but he doesn't make freshman mistakes.  The kid is just a really good player.  I credit the coaching staff for getting his defense up to par.  It's no longer a liability.  

Really, if you look at the minutes distribution during this win streak, it's pretty ideal.  The best players are playing and the other freshmen are being trusted in minimal roles.  We are also pushing the tempo whenever we can, which is a stark contrast to the beginning of the year.  

The x-factor though:  Tai.  So happy that he's found an offensive game.  He's a great testament to hard work.  

Two words:  HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

Way to steal a game on the road!

Absolutely love beating a team coached by a Hall-of-Famer who spends most of the game whining and throwing hissy fits on the sideline trying to work the refs.

You could almost tell by the look on Izzo's face in the second half that he was thinking something along the lines of, "I'm a very successful 60 year old man, why do I still have a job that forces me to act like a clown 30 times a year?"

Izzo never should have taken that free plane ride from Miles

I can't remember who it was and I'm too lazy to go back and check but after the game someone tweeted out something to the effect of Izzo having to ride in a kennel on the plane because Miles' owns him.

Okay, lots to get caught up on this morning, but I just want to put this here.

I legitimately like and respect Tom Izzo, the MSU team and the class and integrity with which their program is run.  That is the model by which I hope Nebraska emulates with its own hoops program.  Denzel Valentine is an amazing talent.  I hope the Spartans go on and win all of the rest of their games (unless they're playing us), especially this Saturday against Maryland.

And I would honestly feel this way had we won OR lost last night.  I had so much fun watching that game, I couldn't sleep and stayed up and watched the replay on BTN at 1am.

Agree 49r.  MSU has always been my favorite of the other BIG teams.   Izzo whines a lot on the sidelines but overall he is a class act and a VERY good coach.   Great coach by Miles after the game about how he always learns a lot just watching MSU tape to prepare to play them.

Don't understand how their fans could possible bitch about the officiating last night - but one constant about college basketball is that the fans of the losing team will always complain about the refs.

But when you figure true freshmen played 94 minutes and had just 2 turnovers ... got to be some sort of NCAA record. ;) Those would be great numbers for true freshmen in a game in Lincoln against Wayne State. But against #11 MSU in East Lansing? Just wow. 

Watson's ability to play as well as he has offensively without turning the ball over is one of the most pleasant surprises of the entire season for me. And I think his defense has picked up the past few games. He was completely lost vs NW, but he seems to be figuring it out on that end now too.

One was a weird double-dribble from Glynn. Don't recall the other, maybe a travel down low...

Another weird call was Benny being called for palming 40 feet from the hoop. Pretty sure the rule is to keep players from gaining an advantage (Benny palms because his hands are so small...). ;)

But when you figure true freshmen played 94 minutes and had just 2 turnovers ... got to be some sort of NCAA record. ;) Those would be great numbers for true freshmen in a game in Lincoln against Wayne State. But against #11 MSU in East Lansing? Just wow.

One was a weird double-dribble from Glynn. Don't recall the other, maybe a travel down low...

Another weird call was Benny being called for palming 40 feet from the hoop. Pretty sure the rule is to keep players from gaining an advantage (Benny palms because his hands are so small...). ;)

The other freshman turnover was a fumbled pass by Morrow under the basket