WBB: Game #18 @ Purdue

Row6Seat10

I was trying to watch both games at the same time so I wasn't fully paying attention....with that said: Too many turnovers (however if the refs were being graded this game then as someone mentioned anything that 'looked' illegal would be called and there were probably quite a few anticipation calls) but we found a way to win, that's the most important thing bottom line. Move on, try to learn on the turnovers and knock off Michigan.

I was trying to watch both games at the same time so I wasn't fully paying attention....with that said: Too many turnovers (however if the refs were being graded this game then as someone mentioned anything that 'looked' illegal would be called and there were probably quite a few anticipation calls) but we found a way to win, that's the most important thing bottom line. Move on, try to learn on the turnovers and knock off Michigan.

I tape the rest of the mens game.

The refs did affect the game.  Not a good thing....weird calls on both teams. Refs shouldn't be graded when they're doing conference games.

But our own unforced errors...mostly bad passes....turnovers like those can not happen anymore. Purdue got desperate and fouled all the time. Purdue did a good job cutting off the back door stuff.

Our defense was good most of the time. Got some fouls called on us that were very border line.

Jess's free throws 9-11 I think, were critical.  She was hammered every time she had the ball down low. Still need to work better as a team ....the bigs. It will come.  But passing was tough inside all night.

An ugly win...is still a win. Nice job hanging in there ladies. 

WOW! Great win for the team tonight! Huge confidence builder for this young team. They're going to learn from this and gain a lot of experience going forward. Should help with our post season chances too.

Let's go ahead and pencil in Jess for her 8th FOW next Monday! Purdue did their best to take her out of the game putting double and sometimes triple teams on her to slow her down. NR5 and KC4 were both great on the defensive end! And RB with some really timely rebounds.

Turnovers about did us in tonight, got to get that under control going forward.

Hope they don't schedule both teams at the same time anymore. It's too hard to try and watch both teams at the same time especially when both are winning like they were tonight. 

i can accept a few to's trying to get the ball down low to jess------BUT, those lazy, looping passes in the backcourt (that wilson stole, btw) were just driving me nuts!!! not to mention the other passes in the backcourt that were just thrown right to her. sheeeeeesh

like coach yori stated in post game interview with matt----"we tried to give it away". i guess if there is a positive, they did win (on the road) with 27 turnovers! with some grit and being pretty scrappy! if you could take away a third of those to's, this game might not have been close. wasn't pretty, but, they got the 'W'----great win for the men, too!!! i screwed up there, for some reason was thinking they started an hour later than the women and would catch the second half.

Purdue does have a pretty good defense. Versyp did a nice job of preparing them for the huskers.

Like I said on a previous post (what have we learned halfway........)  we are giving up 10 more shots per game then the average of all the rest of the B10 teams.  That comes from turnovers and giving up a high number of offensive rebounds.  Tonight we gave up 21 more shots then we took.  Fortunately we held Purdue to a poor shooting percentage and we shot it much better.  That was the only way we won.  I'll take the win but just think how good we could be if we limited giving up offensive rebounds and had less turnovers especially the unforced ones.

Like I said on a previous post (what have we learned halfway........)  we are giving up 10 more shots per game then the average of all the rest of the B10 teams.  That comes from turnovers and giving up a high number of offensive rebounds.  Tonight we gave up 21 more shots then we took.  Fortunately we held Purdue to a poor shooting percentage and we shot it much better.  That was the only way we won.  I'll take the win but just think how good we could be if we limited giving up offensive rebounds and had less turnovers especially the unforced ones.

from the coach yori post game interview, she mentioned the same thing. 

I havn't had an opportunity to listen to it.  Where can you find it?

One thing that was unusual for us was the 17 turn overs by our posts.  Purdue played well defensively.

A big if but if we can clean up our turnovers and do a better job on limiting offensive rebounds call me crazy but I think we could have the 3rd best team in the B10.

The box score says we out rebounded Purdue yesterday. 35-31. We shot less because we were weren't desperate to throw up bad shots. Purdue was...so they were throwing up shots that weren't good shot selection. Their percentage was low due to our defense. And our size kept them from layups, which they live on. They had to shoot more outside shots.

When we have shot in the 30% range we lose...Purdue did yesterday, and they lost. Purdue outscored us 25-14 4th qtr...turnovers.

RT was so busy trying to make an assist, she could have shot some more probably. Tough choice to make.

Turnovers was the difference between winning by 10 more.....and only one point. Pure and simple.

*Nebraska forced 14 turnovers by the Boilermakers and converted them to 16 points but NU did not get any points off turnovers in the fourth quarter, while Purdue got 15 in the final period.

Overall Purdue converted NU's 27 miscues into 25 points

Purdue may have been a little deeper than us. Not so sure we didn't get a little fatigued in 4th. We were playing really hard up to that point. Weren't as sharp as earlier in  game.

We had Bigs out by the arc making passes, some weren't good. They're not used to playing the part of a guard with ball handling. Made some unfortunate weak passes. I get why Yori's pulling them out from the basket, and why, but it might increase our turnover problem. About all of our turnovers in 4th qtr. were from bigs handling the ball, or shooting the ball.

Some other turnovers were from fouls inside that didn't get called. Almost every time the girl blocked Jess from behind was a foul...refs finally called it. And Jess was fouled on darn near every shot anyway.

The biggest and most obvious issue is still turnovers. Imperative we get a handle on fixing it.

Allie got a deflection to disrupt Purdue's final possession and save the win for the Huskers. (didn't really see it on BTN plus when it happened...just the ball was way off line to the basket when it was shot)

On to the next one...this win is very encouraging...even with the ugly turnovers. Four in a row. Like the sound of that.

Why do we have Jess out front

possibly two reasons: try and open things to let jess try to dribble drive (though purdue was collapsing on her pretty fast wherever jess was positioned) and/or as tight as purdue was playing perimeter, maybe try and get some backdoors for romeo? otherwise, that is/was a good question.

huskers.com has audio replay of the game. coach yori's post game interview begins around the 2:21 mark.

rachel theriot and jessica shepard are also interviewed. jess stated she doesn't want to use the knee as an excuse, but, still doesn't allow her to do some things. not sure what that would be?  :blink:

Not a physical therapist just guessing but.... In some ways feel a little bad for her. Maybe can't jump as well, and she still doesn't look quite as mobile as in HS. Next summer off without constant playing may help? She had no time to get into shape before the season. Had to go close to full speed.... as she could, from the get go. If she can get in better condition, it will help give a little relief to the knee....hopefully.

One other thing ...Jess is not just big (and fast for her size), but she is strong. She has very good, and strong hands and wrists....and she's agile for her size. Obvious I guess but still marvel at her plays sometimes.

huskers.com has audio replay of the game. coach yori's post game interview begins around the 2:21 mark.

rachel theriot and jessica shepard are also interviewed. jess stated she doesn't want to use the knee as an excuse, but, still doesn't allow her to do some things. not sure what that would be?  :blink:

I'm Guessing things like jumping and running the floor as well as I know she can.  Also being able to push back with more strength when some of these opposing big girls are leaning all over her.  Or flashing to the high post, receiving the pass and making a quick first step drive to the hoop.  These are all things I know she can do but hasn't shown us yet.  

Why do we have Jess out front

possibly two reasons: try and open things to let jess try to dribble drive (though purdue was collapsing on her pretty fast wherever jess was positioned) and/or as tight as purdue was playing perimeter, maybe try and get some backdoors for romeo? otherwise, that is/was a good question.

Sure it was for backdoor looks...Purdue had that pretty well scouted. It just wasn't there last night. Seemed like when we pulled the bigs out, the turnovers started to rear it's ugly head. Should the bigs be near the arc... be a better spot?  (in this game) Closer to basket for rebounds. We had the size advantage....just thought maybe we should rely on that .....and rebound more.

It worked out though, that was a plan in place apparently. Just wasn't really there to execute.