My two least favorite words: "If Only"

PimpMario

I promised myself I wouldn't do it this year.  I promised I wouldn't say those two words.  And I know that Rutgers and Minnesota are dumpster fires right now.

BUT

If Only we had held on and beat Indiana

If Only we had beaten Northwestern

If Only we would have dispatched Miami in regulation. 

I won't even say anything about Samford

I am so sick of saying if only.

If only...

I tried not to get too optimistic this year.  Especially after the rough non con and then the poor start to conference play.  I know Rutgers and Minnesota suck this year.

BUT

Only If we beat Maryland or Purdue at home

Only If we win the rest of our home games.

Only If we steal a few road wins.

Only if we do not have any more bad losses and win a few in the Big 10 tourney

I am so excited about the possibility of only if!

Only If...

Is this young team graduating from EKG to Roller Coaster status?

We'll see...

I'd recommend putting up your arms because we're probably going to hit the part where the camera on the rides snaps your picture.

I'm hoping that the Illinois game is the last few "click click click" on the up side before the bottom drops out on us in East Lansing.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I would have loved to get that Miami win at home. We were right there with Cincy too; if Shields isn't in foul trouble we probably win that game. Samford should have never happened, but things like that do happen with a young team. Northwestern should have also been a W, but once again blowing a decent lead is part of the learning curve with young teams imo.

I have never really been to down on this team (or Tim Miles like some people have been) this year. Anyone who knows sports knows that this is par for the course when it comes to a young team. Add in our lack of size and this season seems about right so far. However, I believe in Tim Miles. He has exceeded expectations in 2/3 previous seasons. Last season was just bizarre when you take in to account all of the non-basketball related things going on with the team and the injuries to Leslee Smith and Moses Abraham. I still think the NIT is possible for this team, but I am not ready to talk about anything bigger until I see them win against some Big Ten teams that are not named Minnesota and Rutgers.

I promised myself I wouldn't do it this year.  I promised I wouldn't say those two words.  And I know that Rutgers and Minnesota are dumpster fires right now.

BUT

If Only we had held on and beat Indiana

If Only we had beaten Northwestern

If Only we would have dispatched Miami in regulation. 

I won't even say anything about Samford

I am so sick of saying if only.

If only...

If only...the team and coaching staff had gotten the blue birds off their back this year.

You can't use the "if only we won xyz" logic without considering the "if only we lost xyz." You can't have it all one way.

Well, the only real "if only we lost" game so far this year would probably be Rhode Island, though.  The rest of the wins were pretty convincing wins.

Interesting topic.

Which of our losses hurt us the most?

We haven't lost to anyone bad, yet.  Sucked losing at home against a Samford team we probably wrote in ink in the W column before the season.  Our best in-game chance for a W that ended up an L was the OT loss to Miami.  Northwestern seemed ripe for the picking with their 7 footer out with an injury but then they curb-stomped us with that freshman forward. 

You feel like we shoulda had 2 of those 3.  And the way we're playing right now, we probably don't drop that one against Samford.  And, hell, Jacobson has become a better post defender, so maybe we hold off Northwestern if we played them here again.  But it was the Miami game, for me, that took wind out of our sails.  We had it right ... there. 

Take just 2 of those Ls and make them Ws and we're sitting at 12-6 instead of 10-8.  And the fans would have a totally different perspective on our prospects for the season.