uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 18 - vs Minnesota

hhcmatt

Came out as sharp as I've seen Nebraska this entire season and played that way through most of the second half.

Watson came out hot...early couple of steals, baskets...my goodness this pass

Shavon was the GATA King tonight. I thought he would score 20+ against Rutgers. Minny instead.

Andrew was stroking it...and still collecting rebounds on both ends

Every game Morrow looks better...got pulled when Murphy abused him on the defensive end but gets more physical and confident every single game

6 guys with 8+ points tonight. A team effort.

Last but not least, an offer to Ed Chang.

https://twitter.com/EdChang_1/status/687128263076913152

GBR!

Credit the Huskers for playing well and pounding the boards , but I really think we just played the two worst conference teams I've seen since 1988 and we managed to get them back to back in the same year somehow. The Minnesota/Rutgers home and home the last fifteen days of the season should be fantastic.

My favorite stat of the game, Nebraska 16 offensive rebounds.  Minnesota 22 TOTAL rebounds.

Offensive rebounding and defensive pressure seemed to have been a major focus in these last two games. I like it!

Rutgers and Minnesota have been vulnerable this year and we've excelled at pounding both glasses this year. Illinois will be a better test in terms of second chance scoring

Good game overall. I was secretly hoping for a closer win just because I think it's good to learn how to grind out close wins but I'll take a blowout any day. The trip to Illinois definitely seems winnable but the boys will have to work for it. Here are my thoughts:

- That is the Shields we will need to see to be successful this year. Averaging 11 points a game in conference is not gonna cut it if they are to be successful

- AW3 is proving to be a reliable 17 points a game and is rebounding well

- The four freshmen (Watson, Morrow, Jacobsen, and McVeigh) look better and better each game. That is a solid core to build on for the future

- Hammond looks like he is gonna stay in the dog house for the rest of the season, He is trying to a fault. Trying way too hard. I find it odd that Miles pulled him from the starting line up two games after he recorded his first double-double. That seems to have really messed with him

- It was interesting seeing Bakari get in to the game so early. He entered before Hammond and Fuller and played more minutes. I take it he must be busting ass in practice or Miles is just really unhappy with Hammond and Fuller. Anyway, Evelyn jacked up a few awful looking threes

- Great to see the walk-ons get playing time in back to back conference games. But man was that last 5 minutes of the game awful when they were in it. Granted, Minnesota still had their starters in

- We offered Ed Chang today on an unofficial visit. One day after Creighton did

- Speaking of Creighton, Providence's Kris Dunn hit a buzzer beater to crush the Jays in heart breaking fashion and it was beautiful

Lets make it three in a row on Saturday!!!

Also, still figuring out this website so i am not very good at replying to posts or liking them. But I would like to say that I really like this site. I am a huge Nebrasketball fan. All of the people I meet either only care about football (don't get me wrong I love Husker football too), are "Jayskers", or are a bandwagon fan of some bball powerhouse like Kansas, Duke, UK, etc. So it is really cool to be able to read and share thoughts about Nebrasketball with other people who seem to be pretty well informed.

Shavon, Andrew, Tai, Glynn and Jacobson played very well.  Jacobson was as active as he's been all year.  Morrow was decent.   Benny was under the weather and struggled mightily.  Jack was off tonight.  After that, well, I"ll go with mom's admonition about if you can't say anything nice.....

Good game overall. I was secretly hoping for a closer win just because I think it's good to learn how to grind out close wins but I'll take a blowout any day. The trip to Illinois definitely seems winnable but the boys will have to work for it. Here are my thoughts:

- That is the Shields we will need to see to be successful this year. Averaging 11 points a game in conference is not gonna cut it if they are to be successful

- The four freshmen (Watson, Morrow, Jacobsen, and McVeigh) look better and better each game. That is a solid core to build on for the future

- Hammond looks like he is gonna stay in the dog house for the rest of the season, He is trying to a fault. Trying way too hard. I find it odd that Miles pulled him from the starting line up two games after he recorded his first double-double. That seems to have really messed with him

- It was interesting seeing Bakari get in to the game so early. He entered before Hammond and Fuller and played more minutes. I take it he must be busting ass in practice or Miles is just really unhappy with Hammond and Fuller. Anyway, Evelyn jacked up a few awful looking threes

- Great to see the walk-ons get playing time in back to back conference games. But man was that last 5 minutes of the game awful when they were in it. Granted, Minnesota still had their starters in

- Speaking of Creighton, Providence's Kris Dunn hit a buzzer beater to crush the Jays in heart breaking fashion and it was beautiful

Regarding Bakari's minutes - both Benny and Glynn were spending time with the trainers when they were on the bench.  They brought out an exercise bike for Watson to help him stay loose - and he was visibly limping at one point in the second half.  I don't think it is anything serious - looking like maybe a thigh bruise or something.  No idea what was wrong with Benny but the trainers spent time with him at the end of the bench during the first half.  Bottom line I think Bakari got in early mostly because Benny and Glynn were both limited or unavailable at times.

FWIW Hammond also went to the exercise bike before he came in - so I wonder if he has some minor injury issues also.  That said I think his minutes are going to be very limited when Jacobson and Morrow are not in foul trouble - and I can't say that I disagree with that approach.

Regarding Bakari's minutes - both Benny and Glynn were spending time with the trainers when they were on the bench. They brought out an exercise bike for Watson to help him stay loose - and he was visibly limping at one point in the second half. I don't think it is anything serious - looking like maybe a thigh bruise or something. No idea what was wrong with Benny but the trainers spent time with him at the end of the bench during the first half. Bottom line I think Bakari got in early mostly because Benny and Glynn were both limited or unavailable at times.

FWIW Hammond also went to the exercise bike before he came in - so I wonder if he has some minor injury issues also. That said I think his minutes are going to be very limited when Jacobson and Morrow are not in foul trouble - and I can't say that I disagree with that approach.

I think they both had 2 fouls in the first half too. That could've benefitted bakari as well.

I never realized Pike had been in the "Walking Dead" until I saw his picture.

That said, he painted that picture in front of 10K+ people and it actually looked like a person.  If I did that...not so much.

My son did say half way through the painting that it was Pike.

Kudos to him.  I said halfway through that it was Conan O'Brien. :huh:

Shavon, Andrew, Tai, Glynn and Jacobson played very well.  Jacobson was as active as he's been all year.  Morrow was decent.   Benny was under the weather and struggled mightily.  Jack was off tonight.  After that, well, I"ll go with mom's admonition about if you can't say anything nice.....

What are you talking about?  I'm telling you right now Morrow is probably the biggest key to why we are starting to look better.  Decent isn't going 9 out of 10... that is called GOOD.

Those drives that have been driving me crazy that Shavon and Tai dribble into the lane and fire it up through 3 defenders... They are now turning into what they should of been all year.  They are now finding a wide open Morrow for for the easy buckets.

Disagree all you want, but in my eyes Morrow play has been the difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacobson is playing better too!  He is playing much more aggressive, and it is good to see

Watson is a game changing PG, and his vision is absolutely amazing

Shields shooting 10 times instead of 20+ is a good thing, and he still is getting his points.  I believe he is now starting to trust his teammates more, and it is beneficial to the whole team because of it.

McViegh is a smart basketball player, but needs to to be more aware of his surroundings.  Got picked for behind twice against

Minnesota.

White is just consistent, he had an off night and still score 15

Tai is looking better and made some decisions that he has lacked earlier in his time here.  Nice to see

Benny is Benny.  He can provide a spark when needed, and that is what we need him for. 

Fuller and Hammond are becoming the odd men out.  Sorry guys

Evelyn and the bench looked like players that haven't seen much time this year, but Evelyn shows flashes

Our guards really passed the ball well last night - Glynn had the highlight pass, but I thought they all were pretty good.

I was especially pleased with Webster's play - when he missed that first layup, I was concerned he would get down on himself and kind of disappear. Instead, a possession or two later he stepped up and hit the 3 from the corner, so it was good to see him put that first mistake out of his thoughts and remain confident. He had some really nice passes on drives, which was great too. 

And Minny's outside shooting was awful, but some of that was our defense. We were really dialed in last night, which is good to see with a young team. Sometimes youngsters get a taste of success like at RU and they relax against a team they should beat. NU obviously didn't do that last night.

The freshmen seem to be getting more comfortable and more confident. Morrow has strung together 3 very good games in a row. Now, we'll see whether they can continue to stay confident as the competition ratchets back up in the next few weeks, but they're getting better.

Yes, the Gophers & RU are terrible right now. But NU played to its level, rather than playing to their level. Very encouraging.

25+ point wins against conference teams are always impressive in my book. And honestly, the final score of both games doesn't really show how much NU dominated the play. Both games could've been much more lopsided.

Yeah Benny was over with his head in the trash can when he came out in the second half, And I don't think he was looking for something he lost.

Also in the first half when he came out Tim took him to the end of the bench by holding his wrist/hand then Benny kind of slumped there and they gave him something to drink that was in a bottle with no label. i think it was just Gatorade but they made sure he was the only one to touch it.

Then the trainer was also sitting beside him and at one point I think he was checking his pulse. Benny was kind of doing that think when you don't feel well and sitting doesn't help but standing sucks too. You know kind of the rolling around in the chair.

I was also pleased with the energy on the bench. They were all smiles and laughter while Minnesota players seemed like they did not want to be there. I'm sure the outcome had something to do with both teams reaction, but this team is starting to look like a team that is having a lot of fun and really enjoying themselves and each other which is a lot different than last year's team.

Just one little thing I saw that I really liked was on a Morrow dunk, Hammond was one of the first to jump on the bench and cheer him on. I know it probably does not mean much but those are the things I like to see.

What are you talking about?  I'm telling you right now Morrow is probably the biggest key to why we are starting to look better.  Decent isn't going 9 out of 10... that is called GOOD.

Those drives that have been driving me crazy that Shavon and Tai dribble into the lane and fire it up through 3 defenders... They are now turning into what they should of been all year.  They are now finding a wide open Morrow for for the easy buckets.

Disagree all you want, but in my eyes Morrow play has been the difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacobson is playing better too!  He is playing much more aggressive, and it is good to see

Watson is a game changing PG, and his vision is absolutely amazing

Shields shooting 10 times instead of 20+ is a good thing, and he still is getting his points.  I believe he is now starting to trust his teammates more, and it is beneficial to the whole team because of it.

McViegh is a smart basketball player, but needs to to be more aware of his surroundings.  Got picked for behind twice against

Minnesota.

White is just consistent, he had an off night and still score 15

Tai is looking better and made some decisions that he has lacked earlier in his time here.  Nice to see

Benny is Benny.  He can provide a spark when needed, and that is what we need him for. 

Fuller and Hammond are becoming the odd men out.  Sorry guys

Evelyn and the bench looked like players that haven't seen much time this year, but Evelyn shows flashes

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you saying that Morrow is playing better because Tai and Shavon are finally throwing him the ball on their drives after they've drawn defenders doesn't say as much about Morrow as it does Tai and Shavon.  It's more important that they're finding the open man under the hoop than who that open man is...right?

That said, I was unable to watch any of last night's game, so I can't comment on Morrow's play (other than the highlight I saw).