Its Time To Chain Miles' Office Door

golfer3

I have no clue who this golfer clown is, but I am starting to agree that I question if Miles can coach well enough or has enough coaching sense to get this done without Smith, who does have good coaching sense.  There are more and more things that are negative about Miles that keep on coming.  Something about him needs to be an unexpected positive very soon for me to continue to be on board. 

Seeing this post from golfer... typical... he is what we call a repeat offender.  I am just sad that I have never been the first to give him a down red.  I think 80 percent of the posts he has made I have given him a down arrow.

To see him have someone actually agree with him... comical.

Seeing this post from golfer... typical... he is what we call a repeat offender. I am just sad that I have never been the first to give him a down red. I think 80 percent of the posts he has made I have given him a down arrow.

To see him have someone actually agree with him... comical.

My typical was directed as something golfer would post. Don't agree with him one bit.

The players were "locked out" of the locker room as a motivational ploy thanks to them failing to even show up vs Iowa.  That game was a complete disgrace.  Now, you might blame that on Miles as over the past two years it's starting to become a pattern where our players look unprepared or not giving 100% in quite a few games....but, I don't think our issues are due to Miles and his staff lack of effort.  We need Miles to continue to recruit his ass off and develop the young guys in the program.  I'm starting to think Miles is not going to get the job done but come back in two years and you may have a case.  But not now...even if Miles continues his embarrassing road/Big Ten losing streak. 

Another big - man whiff.

No need to discuss replacing Miles after this season.

Perhaps next season.  Even mid -season.  How about talking Colo St into trading coaches.  Ill take my chances with Eustacy.

Excuse my lack of sincerity , but this isn't a serious NU basketball program.

Miss out on a recruit, fire the coach.  Yea, that's a great solution....

I'm not happy where the program is right now either but let's step back and take a look at the big picture.  This is only his 4th year as our head coach and it wasn't like the cupboard was stacked full of talent when he arrived.  In his 3 full years as our head coach, he took us to an NCAA bid which we hadn't have for 16 years.  He has also vastly improved recruiting efforts in the last year which should pay off in the years to come.  How many 4 star players did we sign before he got here????  How about none!!!  So we missed out on this kid, we will just try with another one instead.  It happens. 

I truly understand the concerns with Miles and coaching ever since Craig Smith left. I have my concerns as well that maybe Smith was the brains behind the operation.  Give the guy a break as anyone would struggle is they had an assistant with them for a number of years and then he is gone.  It's a learning process for him also.  Think about if you had a "kick ass" secretary that did everything for you for a long time and then she decided to leave.  You would struggle for a bit until you got things figured out again on how to do them without that person doing it for you.

I still have total faith in Miles that he will get this program where we all want it to be. 

Last year the hot take was Molinari stressed defense so we weren't scoring enough and were bad on offense, this year it is Miles can't coach without Craig Smith. 

Unfortunately this is what's called a rebuilding year.  Rebuilding from what you ask?  Our first NCAA tournament in 15 years and our first NBA type talent.  When you are Ohio State type team and reload you fall to the middle of the conference pack, when you are a middle team you fall to the bottom.

I like what we have done so far in Mile's tenure:

Take advantage of arena excitement and get some transfers in here and make the tournament.

Use the tournament run to get a few more transfers in and improve recruiting classes.

We are likely going to win around 5 conference games this year.  What is going to determine Miles' fate is this current freshman's class.  That's right.  It's an 7-8 year build.  Glynn Watson needs to leave here with an NCAA tournament win or I am happy to look elsewhere for a coach. 

Yeah that Craig Smith hot take is another one that annoys the crap outta me.

People remember that the end of his tenure at NU coincided with the hot streak to finish off the 2014 season.  He parlayed that into a D1 head coaching job, which, good for him.   That's what he's supposed to do.

But let's not forget he was also around for the 5-13 league campaign in 2013 and the 9-9 (1-5) start to the next season.  Are we supposed to just give him a total pass for that season and a half because he was around for the 10-2 run to finish that season?

Come on, man.

The players were "locked out" of the locker room as a motivational ploy thanks to them failing to even show up vs Iowa. 

They were also locked out the year they went to the tournament...the media just didn't get a whiff of it that time.

Yeah that Craig Smith hot take is another one that annoys the crap outta me.

People remember that the end of his tenure at NU coincided with the hot streak to finish off the 2014 season.  He parlayed that into a D1 head coaching job, which, good for him.   That's what he's supposed to do.

But let's not forget he was also around for the 5-13 league campaign in 2013 and the 9-9 (1-5) start to the next season.  Are we supposed to just give him a total pass for that season and a half because he was around for the 10-2 run to finish that season?

Come on, man.

Do you not give Miles a total pass for the 5-13 record in 2013? Hell, I would go as far to say that we overperformed that year. Maybe the loss of Smith is not one of the leading causes to our struggles....but if not, in your mind what are the main reasons as to why we have struggled so much in the past year and a half..more specifically our offensive struggles?  I'm not sure it's so much as he was a big loss in terms of X's and O's, but I think he may have been the glue guy in the locker room.  If you watched closely the first two years he was like a second head coach and really acted as such on the bench.  We replace him with Molonari who may have quite a bit of experience but 1.  I don't think Miles trust him as much...and 2. His body language during the games is terrible.  If I notice it, my guess is the players do as well. 

I don't know what you are asking there, huskerbaseball13.

Where was it mentioned that I was giving anyone a pass on anything, or giving anyone total credit for anything?  Point is, you can't just claim that the absence/presence of Smith (or Molinari for that matter) is the sole reason or blame for what's been going on here over the last season and a half.

Fact of the matter is, the team caught lightning in a bottle for that real nice 6 week run in 2014, but outside of that we've been a pretty steady bottom-third of the B1G team for the entire Miles tenure so far.  That includes the time when Smith was here and when he wasn't.

What HAS happened in the year and 9 months since Smith went to USD is we have signed 3 transfers from hoops blue blood programs and an additional 3 top 100 caliber guys out of high school, to assemble what could be argued to be one of the most talented rosters we've had ever.  It is for that fact alone that I believe that I will be happy to let Miles have the chance to get these guys all in and developed.

But right now?  It is not time to start unloading on the staff.  Not IMO, anyway.

Where was it mentioned that I was giving anyone a pass on anything, or giving anyone total credit for anything?  Point is, you can't just claim that the absence/presence of Smith (or Molinari for that matter) is the sole reason or blame for what's been going on here over the last season and a half.

Fact of the matter is, the team caught lightning in a bottle for that real nice 6 week run in 2014, but outside of that we've been a pretty steady bottom-third of the B1G team for the entire Miles tenure so far.  That includes the time when Smith was here and when he wasn't.

What HAS happened in the year and 9 months since Smith went to USD is we have signed 3 transfers from hoops blue blood programs and an additional 3 top 100 caliber guys out of high school, to assemble what could be argued to be one of the most talented rosters we've had ever.  It is for that fact alone that I believe that I will be happy to let Miles have the chance to get these guys all in and developed.

But right now?  It is not time to start unloading on the staff.  Not IMO, anyway.

In my mind we exceeded expectations in year 1 and in year 2.  Common denominator? Craig Smith.  He leaves the program and in year 3 with a team that was expected and talented enough to make it back to the dance only wins 5 games in the Big 10.  And we looked lost pretty much from the first exhibition game on.  Our offense last year...may have been as bad as it's ever been.  Coincedence? Maybe....but probably not.  Either way, he's probably not coming back anytime soon...and our problems run deeper than just being young IMO.  Talent alone is not going to bring in many wins in this conference when other teams are recruiting as well if not better.  I do think Miles needs some help from an in-game X's and O's standpoint...atleast offensively....and I'm not sure he's getting that from the guy he replaced Smith with. 

In my mind we exceeded expectations in year 1 and in year 2.  Common denominator? Craig Smith.  He leaves the program and in year 3 with a team that was expected and talented enough to make it back to the dance only wins 5 games in the Big 10.  And we looked lost pretty much from the first exhibition game on.  Our offense last year...may have been as bad as it's ever been.  Coincedence? Maybe....but probably not.  Either way, he's probably not coming back anytime soon...and our problems run deeper than just being young IMO.  Talent alone is not going to bring in many wins in this conference when other teams are recruiting as well if not better.  I do think Miles needs some help from an in-game X's and O's standpoint...atleast offensively....and I'm not sure he's getting that from the guy he replaced Smith with. 

Well, guys, this has been a very entertaining discussion.  I could just imagine something similar having taken place back in Salem, Mass. in the days of the witch trials.

Thos. (49r) Goldthwaite:  "And howe doth my good neighbor faire this fine day?"

Wm. (baseball13) Hathorne:  "Newt so good, I'm afraide.  Seems the olde cowe has gone drye and won't produce milk."

Mssr Goldthwaite:  "That happens sometimes, ladde.  But the milke will come backe next time she's with calfe I'd suppose."

Mssr. Hathorne:  "Oooh, I dooon't knew about that.  During the 7 monthes that Mssr. Craig Smithe lived next doore, she milked fine.  Then he moves awaaye and suddenlee the cowe goes drye.  Methinks he was a witch." 

Mssr. Goldthwaite:  "Let me get this staighte:  You thinke that because your cowe went drye at the same time Mssr. Craig Smithe moved awaye, that she went drye because he's a witch?"

Mssr. Hathorne:  "That's righte.  I thinke we neede to finde Mssr. Smithe and burne him at the stake."

Mssr. Goldthwaite:  "And that will make your cowe give milke?"

Mssr. Hathorne:  "Can't hurte."

I do think Miles needs some help from an in-game X's and O's standpoint...atleast offensively....and I'm not sure he's getting that from the guy he replaced Smith with. 

We'll see how we look at the end of the year, but currently we're currently somewhere between year 1 and year 2 in terms of offensive efficiency. (We're shooting a heck of a lot better which you can attribute either to players and/or coaching). You could make the argument, like many have, that we should be running more. However, does that happen with Smith in here?

I do think Miles needs some help from an in-game X's and O's standpoint...atleast offensively....and I'm not sure he's getting that from the guy he replaced Smith with. 

We'll see how we look at the end of the year, but currently we're currently somewhere between year 1 and year 2 in terms of offensive efficiency. (We're shooting a heck of a lot better which you can attribute either to players and/or coaching). You could make the argument, like many have, that we should be running more. However, does that happen with Smith in here?

Currently I believe you're right as the guy he replaced Smith with (Harriman) is on the bench at New Mexico.   :P

The players were "locked out" of the locker room as a motivational ploy thanks to them failing to even show up vs Iowa. 

They were also locked out the year they went to the tournament...the media just didn't get a whiff of it that time.

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a fairly common occurrence, actually.  I bet even Craig Smith would agree that it is a good idea to punish/reward performance with access to the Hendricks Center locker room if he were still here.  That place is a palace, access should be a privilege, not a right.

Well, guys, this has been a very entertaining discussion.  I could just imagine something similar having taken place back in Salem, Mass. in the days of the witch trials.

Thos. (49r) Goldthwaite:  "And howe doth my good neighbor faire this fine day?"

Wm. (baseball13) Hathorne:  "Newt so good, I'm afraide.  Seems the olde cowe has gone drye and won't produce milk."

Mssr Goldthwaite:  "That happens sometimes, ladde.  But the milke will come backe next time she's with calfe I'd suppose."

Mssr. Hathorne:  "Oooh, I dooon't knew about that.  During the 7 monthes that Mssr. Craig Smithe lived next doore, she milked fine.  Then he moves awaaye and suddenlee the cowe goes drye.  Methinks he was a witch." 

Mssr. Goldthwaite:  "Let me get this staighte:  You thinke that because your cowe went drye at the same time Mssr. Craig Smithe moved awaye, that she went drye because he's a witch?"

Mssr. Hathorne:  "That's righte.  I thinke we neede to finde Mssr. Smithe and burne him at the stake."

Mssr. Goldthwaite:  "And that will make your cowe give milke?"

Mssr. Hathorne:  "Can't hurte."

So, Norm.  Are you saying (in pilgrim-speak) that correlation does not equal causation???

I like MIles and hate when almost anyone that does anything has people saying, "Fire them," but I haven't like the offense run here with or without Smith.