Northwestern

Bugeaters1

• 1 year later...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-pat-fitzgerald-chris-collins-extensions-spt-0425-20170424-story.html

Northwestern signs Chris Collins to a huge contract extension.  8 years at over $3 million per (more $ than UI is paying Underwood).

Will be important to keep in mind when the "Eichorst just needs to open the checkbook" conversations take place over the next year...

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-pat-fitzgerald-chris-collins-extensions-spt-0425-20170424-story.html

Northwestern signs Chris Collins to a huge contract extension.  8 years at over $3 million per (more $ than UI is paying Underwood).

Will be important to keep in mind when the "Eichorst just needs to open the checkbook" conversations take place over the next year...

Without getting into a coach hire/fire/liar conversation, one of the major differences we've seen between these two coaches in terms of wins/losses is that Collins is trending upward and Miles is still TBD (who knows where the regression to the mean is). I'm sure it's easier to sell an 8 year/$3M contract to the public in Evanston than it would be for Miles right now. But as your comment seems to allude to, should Miles show an upward trend, we better be ready to pay up.

54 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Without getting into a coach hire/fire/liar conversation, one of the major differences we've seen between these two coaches in terms of wins/losses is that Collins is trending upward and Miles is still TBD (who knows where the regression to the mean is). I'm sure it's easier to sell an 8 year/$3M contract to the public in Evanston than it would be for Miles right now. But as your comment seems to allude to, should Miles show an upward trend, we better be ready to pay up.

No I'm sorry I wasn't being clear.  My comment alluded to when it comes to discussing cutting ties with Miles and hiring his replacement, this is likely what the going rate for a mendoza-line type coach will be.  Which means get ready for your ticket prices to increase by a pretty significant margin to watch a team win 18 games is what I mean.  And, no, TV money isn't going to pay for the increase, WE the ticket holders will pay...

Not advocating any particular course of action, I'm just saying that "opening the checkbook" may not mean what a lot of folks thinks it means is all.

"Opening the checkbook" means $3.5 isn't going to get you Gregg Marshall or Tom Crean type coach.  It means that $3.5 is going to be the going rate for the mid-major flavor of the month or top level assistant type guy.

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

No I'm sorry I wasn't being clear.  My comment alluded to when it comes to discussing cutting ties with Miles and hiring his replacement, this is likely what the going rate for a mendoza-line type coach will be.  Which means get ready for your ticket prices to increase by a pretty significant margin to watch a team win 18 games is what I mean.  And, no, TV money isn't going to pay for the increase, WE the ticket holders will pay...

Not advocating any particular course of action, I'm just saying that "opening the checkbook" may not mean what a lot of folks thinks it means is all.

"Opening the checkbook" means $3.5 isn't going to get you Gregg Marshall or Tom Crean type coach.  It means that $3.5 is going to be the going rate for the mid-major flavor of the month or top level assistant type guy.

Thanks for the clarification!

And might I add to: "It means that $3.5 is going to be the going rate to take a (another) risk for the mid-major flavor of the month or top level assistant type guy." ... who may or may not have had a proven track record at the power five conference level.