Tim Miles and this program

ajb5856

Just a bit of journalistic hyperbole, Lee. Samford has an equally talented team? UNO has three players who could start at NU? I suppose Lee is theoretically correct, but then I could write a column for the OWH, but I am not.

UNO has one starter, maybe two that could start for NU, hyperbole is OWH strong suit. 

"It’s a problem when the second-year coach at Samford has at least equal talent as Nebraska."

What? Does that mean that Texas Southern has talent equal to Michigan State because they beat them at home last year?

Sam M and Lee B do not know half as much about basketball as they think. This was a hatchet job to sell papers like they have been doing for a few years now in football.

The simple fact they are proclaiming to know the talent limits of a bunch of kids who have only played 12 games is just dumb. We have some issues for sure but recruiting and talent is better than anytime since Nee. Give the kids some time if we are still having these problems in a year or two then we can talk.

I've been banging the drum for Thurman for a long time, but I don't think he'd start for us. He could definitely play, though, and maybe could start at some point. Hollins is a little too undisciplined to succeed at a higher level. Is the third UNO player Jake White? He is probably the only would who would start, and that's because he would fill the black hole at center. He played on Wichita's final four team as a freshman and knows what he's doing.

Samford is not more talented than us.  More disciplined than us?  Yes  More unselfish than us?  Yes.  More talented than us?  No.  We played selfish ball, and made some boneheaded plays.  Add to that, we played poorly defensively, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and tried to drive into the lane with nowhere to go, it was just a poor display of basketball for us.  

As for professional players on our team.  Shields could probably make some money overseas playing basketball, if he doesn't stay in school. Watson will make some money somewhere playing basketball.  Webster could go to New Zealand to make some money after his playing days are done. 

Just a bit of journalistic hyperbole, Lee. Samford has an equally talented team? UNO has three players who could start at NU? I suppose Lee is theoretically correct, but then I could write a column for the OWH, but I am not.

Agreed.  That's one of the worst articles I've read in a long time.  Absolute garbage.  Miles has done an A + job recruiting.  The jury is out on coaching/development, not the talent. 

You can't, in my view, give him an A+ rating when he's come up short on scholarship numbers for the past two years and two recent opponents -- Abilene Christian and Samford -- both had better big men than we did. 

Miles has stepped up the recruiting big-time vs. what Doc and Barry were doing, but A+ worthy it is not.

I hear you.  I think he's come up short because he's demanding a certain level of talent be brought into the fold.  He's banking on the spot being filled by a quality player down the road.  I guess you could call it a gamble, but I'd call it high standards.  What grade would you give him considering we hadn't had NBA-level talent on the roster for a decade and a half before Miles arrived? 

UNO has one starter, maybe two that could start for NU, hyperbole is OWH strong suit. 

Thurman, Patterson and White could, in theory, all start, though Thurman plays Shields' position, in a sense. That may not be true a few years, but it is right this minute. 

And Hollins would play some minutes, too. 

Remember, Hollins and Thurman were part of the greatest HS team in state history. None of them ended up at Nebraska. 

Or Creighton.  Or anywhere else good.

Pretty sure Agau's at Georgetown. He was on that team, too. 

Thurman wasn't any better or worse a HS player than Shields. Maybe they'll shake out differently in college. Thus far, they're about equal. 

But there's Edward Chang, and we'll see where he goes in a few years. 

Thurman, Patterson and White could, in theory, all start, though Thurman plays Shields' position, in a sense. That may not be true a few years, but it is right this minute.

Remember, Hollins and Thurman were part of the greatest HS team in state history. None of them ended up at Nebraska.

Or Creighton. Or anywhere else good.

Thurman wasn't any better or worse a HS player than Shields. Maybe they'll shake out differently in college. Thus far, they're about equal.

I have 0% doubt in my mind - from all my basketball experience - that Treshawn Thurman and Tradeon Hollins would start for Nebraska. Treshawn is better than Morrow, better than Jacobsen, better than any 4/5 we have on our roster. Tradeon would be an upgrade of Benny's defense, on and off ball, and he can finish at the rim. Our line up of:

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

5. Whatever crap 5 you put in

Would be better than any line-up we currently have.

Or Creighton.  Or anywhere else good.

Thought you were talking about Hollins and Thurman but I see you were talking about ALL of Omaha Central.  OK, got it.

Still, none of them wound up at Creighton, either.

I think the idea that this program could be turned around quickly is an absurdity. Miles reminds me a lot of Danny Nee--excellent recruiter with a little to be desired on the in-game coaching end. That said, he is a young coach with a winning past, and I'm thrilled we have him.

We can say that next year he'll have all of his players, sure, but I think he needs the opportunity to develop those players. If you look at his recruiting turnaround, we have freshman at positions 1-4 that are an upgrade over virtually any recruit we've had at each of those positions since Nee. That's pretty incredible. Give him some time to recruit a true center (which may happen before 2nd semester from the looks of things). Then we'll have the most talented 1-5 roster we've had, maybe ever. Give him three years to coach the players that he handpicked for his system.

I think Miles spoiled us early with an insane year, but I think what we're seeing now is a more realistic march toward success. There are going to be lumps because Miles is a young coach and inexperienced at the major conference level, but the body of work--particularly on the recruiting end--is still quite positive in my mind.

And this is why I love this board compared to others. People that look at the bigger picture. Yea we shouldn't lose to no name teams and there's no excuse on that, but with the upgrades at each position let him coach/develop them and see what happens. If the next couple years go south, well then I feel like the seat will warm.

I think we have some a guys who need to go home, eat some of grandma's good food, sleep in the old bed, hang with some of the boys, AND GET A BIG HUG FROM MOM.

Tim needs to relax some and stop gripping so hard. He seems to b adding undo pressure on everybody.

I think some of these boys could use some pats on the back rather than kicks in the butt.

Has anybody noticed that Jack hasn't played very well since Tim dressed him down in that game a week or two ago?

I have 0% doubt in my mind - from all my basketball experience - that Treshawn Thurman and Tradeon Hollins would start for Nebraska. Treshawn is better than Morrow, better than Jacobsen, better than any 4/5 we have on our roster. Tradeon would be an upgrade of Benny's defense, on and off ball, and he can finish at the rim. Our line up of:

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

These "Central Superstars" have lost to UC Santa Barbara, Eastern Michigan, a BAD Missouri team and a pretty awful Wyoming team. Took powerhouse UMKC to OT at home to win the game. Squeaked out a win over Montana State. OT vs Grand Canyon.  

Look, maybe individually you can look at a guy and think he is pretty good.  But they are losing to a lot of cupcakes.  It humors me how many on here will compare these guys when in reality, how good are they really?  They may look "decent" vs LOWER level competition, but how the hell do we know they can go night in an night out in the B10?  We lost a game we shouldn't have and all hell breaks lose.  Oakland just took Michigan State to OT tonight!  OAKLAND!  Maybe Izzo has lost it?  The point is, teams lose games they shouldn't, teams have great nights, teams have awful nights....THAT'S BASKETBALL!!  Again, this is NOT football!  Its a 32 game marathon, not a 10 game sprint!  One team gets hot in basketball and can beat anybody on any given night!  

Every night I could literally give you an upset of a team that shouldn't have won.  Its what makes basketball great!  Anything can happen!  

The key is to try and not get too excited for great wins, and not too down after bad losses.  

I wondered when "It's only one game!  This isn't football!" guy would appear.  I distinctly remember you guys last year after the Incarnate Word game telling everyone they were completely overreacting.  

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

Can you imagine how much whining and crying and complaining about how Miles can't recruit there would have been on this board if we'd offered Hollins, Thurman and Khyri Thomas?  And we frankly wouldn't be any better than we are right now and people would be calling for Miles' head.

I'd rather suck with Rivals 4 stars on the roster.

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

These "Central Superstars" have lost to UC Santa Barbara, Eastern Michigan, a BAD Missouri team and a pretty awful Wyoming team. Took powerhouse UMKC to OT at home to win the game. Squeaked out a win over Montana State. OT vs Grand Canyon.  

Look, maybe individually you can look at a guy and think he is pretty good.  But they are losing to a lot of cupcakes.  It humors me how many on here will compare these guys when in reality, how good are they really?  They may look "decent" vs LOWER level competition, but how the hell do we know they can go night in an night out in the B10?  We lost a game we shouldn't have and all hell breaks lose.  Oakland just took Michigan State to OT tonight!  OAKLAND!  Maybe Izzo has lost it?  The point is, teams lose games they shouldn't, teams have great nights, teams have awful nights....THAT'S BASKETBALL!!  Again, this is NOT football!  Its a 32 game marathon, not a 10 game sprint!  One team gets hot in basketball and can beat anybody on any given night!  

Every night I could literally give you an upset of a team that shouldn't have won.  Its what makes basketball great!  Anything can happen!  

The key is to try and not get too excited for great wins, and not too down after bad losses.  

I wondered when "It's only one game!  This isn't football!" guy would appear.  I distinctly remember you guys last year after the Incarnate Word game telling everyone they were completely overreacting.  

I wondered when the this season is lost guys would appear one season.  It happened really the first few games of conference.  I remember telling everyone to calm down, that we were decent, and we could still win some games after that Penn State loss in '13-'14 dropped us to 9-9 (1-5).  Just saying that that argument works both ways.

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

I'm sorry, I've kept my mouth shut.  But I can't take this.  Down arrow.

Perhaps I give you too much credit for being smart, NUdiehard, but I would think you'd understand that claiming the sky is falling when one acorn lands on your head is over-reacting; claiming the sky is falling when the sky is actually falling is NOT over-reacting.

You're conflating hindsight with foresight.

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

I wondered when the this season is lost guys would appear one season.  It happened really the first few games of conference.  I remember telling everyone to calm down, that we were decent, and we could still win some games after that Penn State loss in '13-'14 dropped us to 9-9 (1-5).  Just saying that that argument works both ways.

Yes, you do have '13-14 on your side.  But you must admit, in the last 20 years "the season is lost guys" have been right 95% of the time!  Ha.

Actually, I am not one who thinks this season is absolutely lost for the record.  I am wait and see but not holding my breath.  I've been doing this a looong time and I just feel like I know what I see with my own 2 eyes.  I will admit '13-14 fooled me, but more often than not when it comes to having a legitimate NCAA type team, "you know it when you see it".  We have pieces this year, but we also have some killer holes and it is going to be really tough.  Right now, after that brutal loss, I would say we have to win 10 games in conference just to be on the bubble.  Do you want to put your money on that happening?  That is the problem with losses like that for a team like NU.  We simply have no margin for error against lesser teams because we aren't good enough to typically overcome being in such a hole.  That is the disappointment.  

Some of us have been doing this a long, long time and we have seen this deal repeat again and again and again.

1. Hollins

2. White

3. Shields

4. Thurman

Yes, you do have '13-14 on your side.  But you must admit, in the last 20 years "the season is lost guys" have been right 95% of the time!  Ha.

Actually, I am not one who thinks this season is absolutely lost for the record.  I am wait and see but not holding my breath.  I've been doing this a looong time and I just feel like I know what I see with my own 2 eyes.  I will admit '13-14 fooled me, but more often than not when it comes to having a legitimate NCAA type team, "you know it when you see it".  We have pieces this year, but we also have some killer holes and it is going to be really tough.  Right now, after that brutal loss, I would say we have to win 10 games in conference just to be on the bubble.  Do you want to put your money on that happening?  That is the problem with losses like that for a team like NU.  We simply have no margin for error against lesser teams because we aren't good enough to typically overcome being in such a hole.  That is the disappointment.  

Some of us have been doing this a long, long time and we have seen this deal repeat again and again and again.

Before the season started, all things Nebraska the same, I would have said we were screwed.

Now... seeing what I have (brutal OOC losses for a lot of the Big 10, Nebraska going toe to toe with Miami and Cincy)  I would say that I feel 10 wins is more of a possibility than I would have thought before the season.  I knew going in that it was going to be up and down.  What I didn't know going in was that it was going to be a conference rollercoaster and not just a Nebraska thing.

Norm, I understand your response to my post.  I game it a little more explanation above, but I will elaborate.  

I just don't understand when people say "it is only one game" when we have played 13 games.  I don't think anyone here is making a judgment based on that one game alone.  This was my same feeling last year after the Incarnate Word game, which followed the absolutely abysmal game against Creighton, which followed very poorly played games against cupcakes even if we did squeek out a win, which followed the disappointing loss against Rhode Island, which followed the horrid exhibition game where we were losing at halftime.  

It's not just one game unless that one game is the first and only poor performance of the year.  That is what I don't get.  If NU was 12-1 (ala Mich St) do you think anyone would would be so disappointed?  Honestly?  Heck, we would be ranked in the top 10 probably.  

All I am trying to say is that when it is game 12 or game 13, its not one game.  I know you have been doing this a long time, just like I have.  I feel like I have reached a point where I can trust my eyes.  After 13 games, I feel like I have  a pretty good idea of a good (NCAA bubble) team when I see it.  I am sure many on here feel the same.  If anyone is basing their complete an entire opinion on just that one game, then I agree, that is nonsense.  But I don't think that is the case for most posters on this board who watch all the games just as we do.

If you and others want to disagree with posters who have a less positive view, that is absolutely fine.  I just don't think it should be premised in "its just one game, this isn't football'  when it is based on 12 or more games. That is all.

Norm, I understand your response to my post.  I game it a little more explanation above, but I will elaborate.  

I just don't understand when people say "it is only one game" when we have played 13 games.  I don't think anyone here is making a judgment based on that one game alone.  This was my same feeling last year after the Incarnate Word game, which followed the absolutely abysmal game against Creighton, which followed very poorly played games against cupcakes even if we did squeek out a win, which followed the disappointing loss against Rhode Island, which followed the horrid exhibition game where we were losing at halftime.  

It's not just one game unless that one game is the first and only poor performance of the year.  That is what I don't get.  If NU was 12-1 (ala Mich St) do you think anyone would would be so disappointed?  Honestly?  Heck, we would be ranked in the top 10 probably.  

All I am trying to say is that when it is game 12 or game 13, its not one game.  I know you have been doing this a long time, just like I have.  I feel like I have reached a point where I can trust my eyes.  After 13 games, I feel like I have  a pretty good idea of a good (NCAA bubble) team when I see it.  I am sure many on here feel the same.  If anyone is basing their complete an entire opinion on just that one game, then I agree, that is nonsense.  But I don't think that is the case for most posters on this board who watch all the games just as we do.

If you and others want to disagree with posters who have a less positive view, that is absolutely fine.  I just don't think it should be premised in "its just one game, this isn't football'  when it is based on 12 or more games. That is all.

We also have to remember the good and the bad.  Though we have lost the big ones, we were toe to toe with Cincy and Miami.  Very well could have beaten both of them.  We have been in games that mean something.  We have won two games that were toss ups, and have lost one we really had not business in losing.  We are one game from where a lot of people thought we would be sitting at this point in the year.  The Big 10 doesn't scare me as much as it did before the season started either.

We also have to remember the good and the bad.  Though we have lost the big ones, we were toe to toe with Cincy and Miami.  Very well could have beaten both of them.  We have been in games that mean something.  We have won two games that were toss ups, and have lost one we really had not business in losing.  We are one game from where a lot of people thought we would be sitting at this point in the year.  The Big 10 doesn't scare me as much as it did before the season started either.

You make a good point, but it actually leads to my last thought on this subject.  I actually feel that in many ways, NU basketball games are much like football is some ways in that one game can be a huge difference maker.  Especially non-conf cupcake games. Just one loss to a cupcake can be the difference between dancing and not dancing when it comes to NU BB, so let's be honest, every game counts for us.

At this stage, Nebraska is not anything like Mich St. or Ohio State, or Wisconsin, or any of those types of teams.  We just aren't.  If we are going to get into the dance, it is going to be by the hair of our chinny chin chin.  NU's margin is razor thin.  We all know this, right?  Even in '13-14 we were sweating it out until our name was called.  I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I don't think we lost to a cupcake in the non-conf.  I could be wrong.  But imagine if we had lost just one more game in the non-conf to a bad team.  We almost certainly would NOT have made it.  This simply is our reality and it is why losses like Samford hurt so much.  It is just one loss, but for Nebraska one loss could easily be the difference.  If we win 9 or 10 games in conf, the NCAA committee is not going to give us the grace it gives powerhouse schools like this mentioned above.  We just don't have that luxury.   Which again is why I don't understand comparisons to those types of schools, they are not apples to apples and I think we all know it.  

'13-'14 we had back to back Neutral Court losses to UMASS and UAB, a loss to Creighton and a loss to Cincy.  We ended the NON CON 8-4.  Many were upset at the time that we didn't play that extra game I remember.  Our best win was probably Miami at home and a neutral court vs a bad Georgia team.  

I do not think anyone is comparing us to OSU, MSU, Wisco or even Purdue.  We all know that the committee wouldn't do us any favors if we were right there.  We have to earn our ticket in.  You are right in that every game counts.  Much like the bad loss could hurt later on and our 8-5 record... so too could a few nice wins really help us out if we want to do something with this season.

I do remember though that the home games in '13-'14 were amazing in terms of crowds.  The crowd really gave us the push to the tourney.  I feel that this year could be the same.  We can have a tough home court if we want to... we the fans just have to show up on a nightly basis.

NUdiehard, my expectations for the whole season were tempered. Even after we looked pretty good against some strong early-season foes and I pretended to be the basketball God with the ability to grant people the option of either taking 18 wins or gambling on whatever was behind door number three, most people took the 18 wins. Most people on here have realistic expectations.

For myself, I didn't expect that we would be world beaters this year. In my own poll from several weeks ago, I voted that we were one year away only if we found a legitimate big man. I don't think an infusion of freshmen, even coveted freshman, with a KU transfer is going to make us a tournament team this year. And that was my feeling from the beginning of the season.

In short, I expected some hiccups this year. I figured they would be inevitable. So, when those hiccups happen, I'm not going to gnash my teeth about them. We are not that good yet but I think that we have some talent on the roster and could be really pretty good next year if we can find a quality big man in the meantime.