Tim Miles and this program

ajb5856

However, something changed after beating Wisconsin in March 2014.  Of all games, that should have been a spring board for the next two seasons.  It just has not happened, and I cannot put my finger on it.  The coaching Miles did in 2012-2013 was incredible.  Miles had 6.5 players and coached great games.  The blowouts were usually a result of other teams running Nebraska off the court and/or foul trouble issues.   

Since we are 9-22 against major conference competition since that Wisconsin game, you'd have to say something did change. Maybe it was blowing the 18 point second half lead in the very next game.

It's similar to what happened after Sadler's biggest win, vs a No. 2 or 3 ranked Texas to make them 18-8 and 6-6 in conference, so they needed two more wins and they'd have been in the tournament. Instead they went 1-5 the rest of the year and 12-18 the next, 4-14 in conference, and 8-22 against major conference competition.

Since we did have the 10-2 stretch and went to the tournament in 2013, I think he will get a sixth year regardless - unless the year five record is something like 14-17 or worse. That is assuming that this year plays out like looks right now and we end up with between 12 and 15 wins.

To get to year seven, I think he'll have to go to the tournament at least once in the next two. To get to year eight, I think he'd have to win a tournament game or really be trending upward at that point.

Two things to consider are, the chance of there being a new AD hired is about 50% after the next football season and about 90% the year after that. So that is an unknown with regards to the effect on the basketball program. The other factor is that Miles has never been anywhere longer than 6 years.

However, something changed after beating Wisconsin in March 2014.  Of all games, that should have been a spring board for the next two seasons.  It just has not happened, and I cannot put my finger on it.  The coaching Miles did in 2012-2013 was incredible.  Miles had 6.5 players and coached great games.  The blowouts were usually a result of other teams running Nebraska off the court and/or foul trouble issues.   

Since we are 9-22 against major conference competition since that Wisconsin game, you'd have to say something did change. Maybe it was blowing the 18 point second half lead in the very next game.

It's similar to what happened after Sadler's biggest win, vs a No. 2 or 3 ranked Texas to make them 18-8 and 6-6 in conference, so they needed two more wins and they'd have been in the tournament. Instead they went 1-5 the rest of the year and 12-18 the next, 4-14 in conference, and 8-22 against major conference competition.

Craig Smith left and Molinari came on board... That is what changed

I have a boss that I like, I will perform better as I want to please that boss.  If I have a boss that micro-manages the **** out of me, I'm not going to perform to make that "bosses" numbers look good.  I don't necessarily agree with that statement, but that is the way a lot of people think.  That is natural instinct to not perform for someone you don't see eye to eye with.  College kids aren't looking for the greater good, they will perform how they are treated and taught.

Do I know Molinari is at fault here, absolutely not, but a lot of signs are pointing to it.  I want to be wrong with this on so manly levels, but please explain to what else it could be?  

There are a lot of people that keep bringing up "since we made the tournament in 2013."

I'm curious to see how everyone's outlook changes if that tournament appearance never happened.

All else being equal, if we don't beat Wisconsin and Michigan State that year and go to the NIT, I don't think he'd have a lot of support right now. Last year's recruiting class would be the only thing to get him a fifth year.

Can someone begin to explain to me what we saw just 2 years ago in the 13-14 season? Was it just lightning in a bottle? Miles has admitted on several occasions that we just got hot down the conference stretch, which is probably true, but we lost just one game at home that season. The offense seemed to move. We got cuts, back door cuts and layups. We went on runs. We really went after the ball on defense and forced turnovers.

I remember a different team in 13-14 than you do. There was the same angst going on that year at this time for their early season failures. I thought the offense was just as ugly then as it was in 14-15 but then in conference play Petteway made a higher percentage of his tough shots, Pitchford got hot down the stretch and the ball going in the hoop covers a lot of ugly. I thought at times this year have been the best the offense has looked in his tenure, but certainly not consistently. 

I remember your posts two years ago discussing those issues and appreciate your perspective.  What do you think needs to be done to make this team better?  Sorry if I am asking you to re-post your thoughts.  I do not always have time to read all threads.

Completely different problems/team this year. I thought at that time it was apparent we had some attitude and chemistry issues that could potentially blow the season up before it really got started. I think Leslie Smith didn't get near enough credit for his off the court importance of holding that team together. I think you saw many of those issues resurface last year when the shots stopped falling. It really looked to me that Pitchford quit the team a long time before he he officially left. This team doesn't show any obvious signs of chemistry problems but you never really know what's happening in the locker room unless you're there. 

Can someone begin to explain to me what we saw just 2 years ago in the 13-14 season? Was it just lightning in a bottle? Miles has admitted on several occasions that we just got hot down the conference stretch, which is probably true, but we lost just one game at home that season. The offense seemed to move. We got cuts, back door cuts and layups. We went on runs. We really went after the ball on defense and forced turnovers.

I remember a different team in 13-14 than you do. There was the same angst going on that year at this time for their early season failures. I thought the offense was just as ugly then as it was in 14-15 but then in conference play Petteway made a higher percentage of his tough shots, Pitchford got hot down the stretch and the ball going in the hoop covers a lot of ugly. I thought at times this year have been the best the offense has looked in his tenure, but certainly not consistently. 

I remember your posts two years ago discussing those issues and appreciate your perspective.  What do you think needs to be done to make this team better?  Sorry if I am asking you to re-post your thoughts.  I do not always have time to read all threads.

Completely different problems/team this year. I thought at that time it was apparent we had some attitude and chemistry issues that could potentially blow the season up before it really got started. I think Leslie Smith didn't get near enough credit for his off the court importance of holding that team together. I think you saw many of those issues resurface last year when the shots stopped falling. It really looked to me that Pitchford quit the team a long time before he he officially left. This team doesn't show any obvious signs of chemistry problems but you never really know what's happening in the locker room unless you're there. 

Yeah.  Like the Michigan State game maybe?

I'll go back to my vote on Norm's poll.   

Next year for me will tell me what I want to know.  No more excuses as that team is all on Miles.

Granted...I don't think Miles does himself any favors with his lineups this year.

I'll refer to my vote on Norm's poll.  "We are a year away IF we can sign a suitable post player."  Suitable needs to be defined as someone who long and athletic, and can score with his back to the basket.  This is hugely important, and part of our offensive problems this year.  Jake (and Jake no disrespect intended) is just not a starting center on a P5 conference team that is to be successful.  He'll get better, and I look forward to him contributing off the bench, but for our shooters to be confident (which has also been a problem) we need a real scoring/rebounding threat inside.  

And speaking of shooters, IF we have any attrition after this year (and I'm not saying I hope we do or anything), but I'd like to see Miles land a dead eye shooter.  Maybe McVeigh is to be that guy, but we'll see.  As it is, right now, we only really have one.  

I have no idea how good of a coach TM is.  You would think by now after 20 years as a head coach he knows his stuff, and I can only assume he does.  But I do know that next year (again, with all due respect) Benny Parker and David Rivers will not be playing for us.  We'll lose one of the better players in the conference in Shields, but we gain Gill, and with any luck we'll be able to land a 4 star center.  Andrew White and a much improved Tai will be seniors, and our freshman, including Watson and Morrow, will have a year's experience under their belt.  

Gotta get that center, and Morrow needs to see the floor more. 

I think the idea that this program could be turned around quickly is an absurdity.  Miles reminds me a lot of Danny Nee--excellent recruiter with a little to be desired on the in-game coaching end.  That said, he is a young coach with a winning past, and I'm thrilled we have him.  

We can say that next year he'll have all of his players, sure, but I think he needs the opportunity to develop those players.  If you look at his recruiting turnaround, we have freshman at positions 1-4 that are an upgrade over virtually any recruit we've had at each of those positions since Nee.  That's pretty incredible.  Give him some time to recruit a true center (which may happen before 2nd semester from the looks of things).  Then we'll have the most talented 1-5 roster we've had, maybe ever.  Give him three years to coach the players that he handpicked for his system.  

I think Miles spoiled us early with an insane year, but I think what we're seeing now is a more realistic march toward success.  There are going to be lumps because Miles is a young coach and inexperienced at the major conference level, but the body of work--particularly on the recruiting end--is still quite positive in my mind.  

I think the idea that this program could be turned around quickly is an absurdity.  Miles reminds me a lot of Danny Nee--excellent recruiter with a little to be desired on the in-game coaching end.  That said, he is a young coach with a winning past, and I'm thrilled we have him.  

We can say that next year he'll have all of his players, sure, but I think he needs the opportunity to develop those players.  If you look at his recruiting turnaround, we have freshman at positions 1-4 that are an upgrade over virtually any recruit we've had at each of those positions since Nee.  That's pretty incredible.  Give him some time to recruit a true center (which may happen before 2nd semester from the looks of things).  Then we'll have the most talented 1-5 roster we've had, maybe ever.  Give him three years to coach the players that he handpicked for his system.  

I think Miles spoiled us early with an insane year, but I think what we're seeing now is a more realistic march toward success.  There are going to be lumps because Miles is a young coach and inexperienced at the major conference level, but the body of work--particularly on the recruiting end--is still quite positive in my mind.  

I think you are pretty much dead on for the most part with this post...outside of Miles being a young coach.  Miles will and deserves a chance to develop the young recruits he has brought in...but, with the talent upgrade it's fair to expect better results eventually...right?  Losing to Samford is a punch in the gut and surprising but the fact that this team looks good some nights and bad some nights is not so surprising.  I said before the season our record will probably not be great....and that appears to be the case again, but we should see some improvement in play going forward as the freshman get more acclimated to college basketball.  Miles really needs to hit some home runs on down the stretch on the recruiting trail and land a big man that will help right away and another shooter. 

Barfknecht weighs in on this question.  And it does not appear that he believes the talent level is so great as LK1 and many others on this board think:

What’s missing in this discussion, however, is the most critical element — talent.

Nebraska volleyball is game-planning, playing and making adjustments with first-team All-Americans and former national high school players of the year. Nebraska basketball — four years into Miles’ term — isn’t. Not by a long shot. And that’s a problem.

It’s a problem when the second-year coach at Samford has at least equal talent as Nebraska.

It’s a problem when the University of Nebraska at Omaha, which recently transitioned into Division I, has three players who could start at Nebraska.

It’s a problem when you could have Nebraska and many of its opponents come out in identical plain uniforms and not know which is the Big Ten team.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-improving-talent-level-essential-for-struggling-huskers/article_f5e3e3a2-4054-5aba-a080-c02e752925dd.html

EDIT: I see that Dimes beat me to this link

I suppose another way to assess the talent level Miles has brought here is to consider what the roster will look like next year when all of its members will be his recruits. Does anyone on the board think that Roby, Gill, and Horne will not be an upgrade from Benny and Shavon? And this still leaves room for another addition or two next year.

I suppose another way to assess the talent level Miles has brought here is to consider what the roster will look like next year when all of its members will be his recruits. Does anyone on the board think that Roby, Gill, and Horne will not be an upgrade from Benny and Shavon? And this still leaves room for another addition or two next year.

Just because Lee doesn't see a NBA player at this moment on this team doesn't mean there isn't one. 

Just a bit of journalistic hyperbole, Lee. Samford has an equally talented team? UNO has three players who could start at NU? I suppose Lee is theoretically correct, but then I could write a column for the OWH, but I am not.

UNO has one starter, maybe two that could start for NU, hyperbole is OWH strong suit.