The debate continues

kldm64

Working on fixing his flat arc, you say? Apparently, Watson reads our board.

I'm going to guess Teddy Owens... ;)
You think Teddy is gonna leave? He's the man...

Not hardly... I'm thinking Teddy is the one reading this board, jones. ;)

I have literally no idea what I posted or what I was talking about - I think I was reading about a Husker football player leaving, then saw "I'm guessing Teddy Owens" and then my brain and fingers autonomously made a stupid post.

Working on fixing his flat arc, you say? Apparently, Watson reads our board.

I'm going to guess Teddy Owens... ;)
You think Teddy is gonna leave? He's the man...

Not hardly... I'm thinking Teddy is the one reading this board, jones. ;)

I have literally no idea what I posted or what I was talking about - I think I was reading about a Husker football player leaving, then saw "I'm guessing Teddy Owens" and then my brain and fingers autonomously made a stupid post.

No biggie; I've had a day, too. :D

jones: don't you realize that you are expected to complete an hour of mental gymnastics before making a post on this board? I am already exhausted this morning just by doing this one.

Posting while mentally insane is not wrong on this board, either.  :o  -_-  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:  :o  -_-  ;)

I think we could use some new emojies, maybe?   lol.gif

jones: don't you realize that you are expected to complete an hour of mental gymnastics before making a post on this board? I am already exhausted this morning just by doing this one.

Posting while mentally insane is not wrong on this board, either.  :o  -_-  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:  :o  -_-  ;)

I think we could use some new emojies, maybe?   lol.gif

You & me, both.

Can you play Watson 30 minutes a game because then you can start and finish with him?

I'm not sure you can without just grinding him down this year though maybe I'm wrong. 

NBA starters routinely play 30+ minutes per game over an 82-game season, and many of those guys are in their 30s. How could playing 30 MPG over 31 games grind down an 18-year-old?

Glynn needs to play a lot more. The entire team benefits when he's on the court. I love Benny's team-first attitude, but his court vision, ball handling, passing and offensive ability are not on Watson's level.

1.  Sorry I am late to this party, but I wanted to address the comparison of NBA/college minutes.  I have frequently argued that college freshmen must battle fatigue during their first year playing college ball.  Its usually a combination of their bodies still developing and acclimating to the new playing environment.  If you disagree, look no further than the minute averages for the current flock of NBA rookies.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgMinutes/position/rookies

Only one rookie, Jahlil Okafor is averaging more than 30 minutes a game, and ten (10) are playing more than 20 minutes a game.  Of those ten, three, Mudiay, Porzingis, and Bjelica, played internationally prior to coming into the NBA.  

Watson needs that time to develop, both physically and emotionally, and limiting his minutes is a standard method many coaches use ease the development.  Give Watson time to develop.  He has grown up a lot in 10 games.  I just do not want him to be burned out in February/March.

As for Watson starting, I would rather have Watson in the game when it matters most.  If that is at the beginning of a game, great.  However, I would rather have Watson on the floor at the end of games, especially the close ones.  If that means he starts the game on the bench, so be it.  The more we see of Watson in there for crunch time now, the better this team will be come tournament time.

2.  Discussing the starting lineup, I feel Miles needs to reshuffle a few things.  It seems Miles has played Parker, Webster, Watson exclusively at the 1 and 2.  There have been a few times I noticed McVeigh and White sliding up to the 2; however, the focus seems to be 3 guys holding down 2 spots.  At the 5, Miles lately seems to be focusing upon Hammonds, Jacobson, and, less and less, Morrow.  The remaining 3 and 4 spots are left for McVeigh, Shields, White, and Fuller.  This strategy limits the development of Morrow (who is getting fewer and fewer minutes).  I would like to see Morrow slide to the 4 and White slide to the 2.

How about this line up?

1- Glynn

2- Benny

3- Shavon

4- Ed

5- Michael or Jacob

Just to see what would happen for a while.

Definitely a tough defensive lineup right there.  I would say that we would certainly be looking at a tough on ball pressure D with a little trouble rebounding, but would have 5 guys that like to get their nose dirty on D.  

On the offensive end..... Glynn would have to produce with Shavon.  Benny would hit the occasional three but we do have two solid glass cleaners.  One lineup where we might lead the other team in second chance points is this one!

I feel like Benny has been in the program for 10 years. It frustrates me that he dribbles all around the court, especially under the basket as if he is afraid to shoot. His defense is very good, but he has been sloppy handling the ball.

Watson: 28 assists, 9 turnovers, 13 steals, 222 minutes

Parker: 23 assists, 17 turnovers, 9 steals, 285 minutes

I feel like Benny has been in the program for 10 years. It frustrates me that he dribbles all around the court, especially under the basket as if he is afraid to shoot. His defense is very good, but he has been sloppy handling the ball.

Pretty telling stats that Watson should be getting more minutes that Parker.  Conference play is only a few weeks away so the time is now.

So the only thing Parker has on Watson then is age, minutes and FT shooting %.which is really irrelevant .006% better

Watson wins in all other categories

Field Goal percentage

Asst/TO ratio

Stealing

Height

Vision

Total Points scored

ect. ect. ect.

Why is he getting less minutes again?

Unbelievable as it is but the fact is that Bennie cannot dribble in traffic without looking down to see the ball.

We had dribbling drills in high school where we would put on glasses except they had no lenses but instead had blinders under the eyes so that you could not see the ball as you dribbled.

Bennie can either see the action while dribbling and turn it over at a high rate or look at the ball while dribbling and miss what's going on around him. Neither option should be in play in college basketball.

Can you play Watson 30 minutes a game because then you can start and fi

2.  Discussing the starting lineup, I feel Miles needs to reshuffle a few things.  It seems Miles has played Parker, Webster, Watson exclusively at the 1 and 2.  There have been a few times I noticed McVeigh and White sliding up to the 2; however, the focus seems to be 3 guys holding down 2 spots.  At the 5, Miles lately seems to be focusing upon Hammonds, Jacobson, and, less and less, Morrow.  The remaining 3 and 4 spots are left for McVeigh, Shields, White, and Fuller.  This strategy limits the development of Morrow (who is getting fewer and fewer minutes).  I would like to see Morrow slide to the 4 and White slide to the 2.

Any idea how much foul trouble is leading to the cut in Morrow's minutes?

Up to the moment info on Watson Watch

Not gonna lie this bothers me a LOT!  Why?  We are not saying Benny shouldn't play, we are saying they need their roles reversed!  

I am a huge fan of Miles, but this thought process has got to GTFO!

I'm not actually sure how you're reading this.

I'm reading this as

- Miles isn't changing the lineup for the next game

- "Will he NEVER start? That's not necessarily ideal" = He wants Watson doing more to compel Miles to start him

To me this begs the question of what specifically isn't he seeing from Watson ATM that is keeping him from starting.

Can you play Watson 30 minutes a game because then you can start and fi

Any idea how much foul trouble is leading to the cut in Morrow's minutes?

Just my opinion (this specific question has never come up in my conversations), Morrow's foul troubles are from playing out of position.  There have been a few games where Morrow has played solid defense at the 5.  However, a number of the 5's he has matched up against are 5th year seniors or 4th year juniors.  These guys are more physically mature with at least 2 years of conditioning over Morrow.  After a while the kid is going to wear down.  When that happens, Morrow fouls.  Moving Morrow to the 4 would probably see a reduction in fouls as there would be a more favorable match up.  

Further, just my opinion, starting Jacobson at the 5 makes sense as he seems to have more physical endurance to guard the position.  Same with Hammond (although, I still am concerned with his mental toughness).  Morrow definitely has a better offensive skill set though, but Jacobson/Hammod are just better suited (from a physical standpoint) to play the 5.  With Shields entrenched at the 4, Morrow basically has to wait until Jacobson/Hammond or Shields needs a breather to come in.  Even then, Miles still can decide to send in Fuller (more experience and physical development) or McVeigh (3pt shooting stretch defenses).