2018 Isaiah Chandler - Wichita St

Chuck Taylor

Looks to be a pretty decent project.  Good size, but I have to wonder about his true height.  I see him listed on various sites from 6'7" to 6'9".  Iowa, Iowa State and Creighton were all on him prior to us; not sure that matters or not.  He seems to have a decent basketball IQ and appears nimble on his feet given his size. 

He had 12 points last night in a win over Millard North. Central could be good if they got him the ball consistently, but the guards think they're the show. North's guards figured it out last year and rode Patton to their best season in years.

cwg, you're right about Iowa State and the school that shall not be named being in on already, but I think they're both waiting to see how he develops. I haven't heard much about Iowa's contacts with him, but don't doubt it's true.

Central junior, 6-9 and 260 pounds. Didn't see a thread for him. Don't be fooled by stats, his teammates don't get him the ball. Conditioning might be an issue, but he's a big kid.

Rivals:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nebraska/basketball/recruiting/player-Isaiah-Chandler-184573

Video:

He is similar in size to Barrett Benson but appears more athletic than what I thought of Benson.  Must have a pretty long wingspan to get to some of those shots he swatted at.  Appears to have decent hands, but we didn't see him shoot other than to dunk it or lay it in off of dishes.  Would like to see what he looks like shooting a mid-range jumper and posting up.  Can he shake his defender?  Can he create some space?

He has a big body.  What's the leg hair situation?  Any chance he grows another inch or two?

• 10 months later...

Interesting to see Chris Harriman poach a metro player to play down at The Pit.

Was he the lead?

No, not necessarily. That comment was off-the-cuff based on the Harriman family being in Nebraska.

It looks like another assistant, Alan Huss, might be the lead recruiter for Poor Bear.

Found this from the Albuquerque Journal:

"The tweet was posted after a weekend official recruiting visit to UNM that was spearheaded by Lobo assistant coach Alan Huss and included attending Friday night’s Lobo Howl event in the Pit..."

Good spot to land. Still a good program, even with Alford gone. Slipped last year but the Top 144 countdown has them at 55 and second in the MWC this year. Lack of consistency and non-basketball stuff held him back, change of scenery might do him good. Definitely has the physical ability and is good around the basket. 

Huss played for Billy Bluejay so he's pretty familiar with the Metro too

Was he the lead?

No, not necessarily. That comment was off-the-cuff based on the Harriman family being in Nebraska.

It looks like another assistant, Alan Huss, might be the lead recruiter for Poor Bear.

"The tweet was posted after a weekend official recruiting visit to UNM that was spearheaded by Lobo assistant coach Alan Huss and included attending Friday night’s Lobo Howl event in the Pit..."[/size]

https://twitter.com/Big_I35/status/787694594091720705

Huss played for Billy Bluejay so he's pretty familiar with the Metro too

Was he the lead?

"The tweet was posted after a weekend official recruiting visit to UNM that was spearheaded by Lobo assistant coach Alan Huss and included attending Friday night’s Lobo Howl event in the Pit..."[/size]

https://twitter.com/Big_I35/status/787694594091720705

Thanks, jug

"As of today."

Sounds like he wants something else.

Seems more like he's ready to attend UNM, "as of today." since yesterday he wasn't planning to. But, today, he is. ;)

Very well could be.

At first glance, I read it as "At this moment, I'm going to New Mexico, but that might not always be the case."

That's how I normally use that phrase, so that's how I read it.

"As of today."

Sounds like he wants something else.

Seems more like he's ready to attend UNM, "as of today." since yesterday he wasn't planning to. But, today, he is. ;)

Very well could be.

At first glance, I read it as "At this moment, I'm going to New Mexico, but that might not always be the case."

That's how I normally use that phrase, so that's how I read it.

Kids these days say "things."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My guess is he just misused the phrase. We all know Central basketball players aren't required to go to class! I kid I kid... but really.

That's what I thought about Andrew White when he said he was taking his name out of the draft and returning to "college basketball".

Oh no, I knew we were in trouble then but the optimist in me wouldn't let me believe it.

I feel that we would've been in on Chandler if

1. We weren't so forward heavy to begin with

2. He didn't play so soft for a center

3. Academics weren't an issue

4. The last player Miles went after from Omaha Central didn't end up like Deverell Biggs did. Interesting to see Harriman pounce on a Nebraska kid though. Can only wish him the best, but also hope he doesn't add to the in state stigma that continues to plague Coach Miles in the media. 

57 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

I feel that we would've been in on Chandler if

1. We weren't so forward heavy to begin with 

2. He didn't play so soft for a center 

I'm sure there were reasons we didn't offer, but I'm going to disagree on these. He's an inside player, we need guys to bang. You want to tell him he's soft?