Scouting Rhode Island

hhcmatt

E.C. Matthews out for the season...he had 26 on us last year

They're led by a couple of transfers, 6-9 Kuran Iverson from Memphis and 5th year senior sniper Four McGlynn.

They're a lot like Nebraska two years ago...great on defense, struggle a bit on offense, and live at the FT line....they have 5 guys with over 30 FT attempts (we have 2) They hit a terrible 60% of those FTs so it could be possible to hack our way back into a game if we need to.

First true road game for Rhody

(#47) Rhode Island KenPom breakdown.

=================================

Non-Conference (6-3):
260. American - W (65-42)

---ESPN Tip-Off Marathon---
30. Valparaiso - L (55-58)

---Cancun Challenge---
238. Cleveland State - W (73-45)
116. TCU - W (66-60)
16. Maryland - L (63-86)
244. Rider - W (82-57)

267. Holy Cross - W (74-56)
42. Providence - L (72-74)
113. Houston - W (67-57)

RPI Forecast has this game as a virtual pick 'em.  50.0% chance of NU winning.  Nebraska is favored by 0.1 point.

E.C. Matthews out for the season...he had 26 on us last year

They're led by a couple of transfers, 6-9 Kuran Iverson from Memphis and 5th year senior sniper Four McGlynn.

They're a lot like Nebraska two years ago...great on defense, struggle a bit on offense, and live at the FT line....they have 5 guys with over 30 FT attempts (we have 2) They hit a terrible 60% of those FTs so it could be possible to hack our way back into a game if we need to.

First true road game for Rhody

Watched their game vs Providence...I thought they would struggle quite a bit without Matthews but they are still a pretty talented bunch.  Pretty athletic and Martin is a matchup problem for us.  Won't be an easy game but I think we should win in Lincoln. 

We can certainly beat them if the right team shows up.  Let's hope that happens.  We need the fans to show up and get into the game.

Unfortunately, it appears that there is little fan excitement for the game. I like to track market values of tickets on StubHub because it usually has a correlation to attendance and atmosphere at a game. There are many good seats for the Rhode Island game available for the lowest price that StubHub allows of $6 - not a good sign for a weekend game.

I am guessing that our average fan sees the name "Rhode Island" and does not realize that they are actually a decent team.

Plus being a Sunday afternoon game during the Christmas season. Plus my own experience at the Miami game does not induce me to return soon when the game is on tv. We got parked in the Haymarket 1 1/2 hour before gametime that night and our party of three were told the wait time was 45 minutes for food at mello mushroom and gate 23 and Lancasters were too crowded to think we would have any food ready in time to get to seats. So we wolfed down a Jimmy John's and got there in time. At half my Spanish guest waited long enough for popcorn at upper deck stand that the second half was three minutes old before he got back. We were worried he was lost. He said line was not that long but the elderly lady at the stand was very slooow. We enjoyed the game a lot, but it does not make me want to snatch one of these cheap tickets for myself. It was my fault since we should have gotten there 2 1/2 or 3 hours early if we had wanted to eat leisurely in haymarket area. Excuse the early morning bitching, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Plus being a Sunday afternoon game during the Christmas season. Plus my own experience at the Miami game does not induce me to return soon when the game is on tv. We got parked in the Haymarket 1 1/2 hour before gametime that night and our party of three were told the wait time was 45 minutes for food at mello mushroom and gate 23 and Lancasters were too crowded to think we would have any food ready in time to get to seats. So we wolfed down a Jimmy John's and got there in time. At half my Spanish guest waited long enough for popcorn at upper deck stand that the second half was three minutes old before he got back. We were worried he was lost. He said line was not that long but the elderly lady at the stand was very slooow. We enjoyed the game a lot, but it does not make me want to snatch one of these cheap tickets for myself. It was my fault since we should have gotten there 2 1/2 or 3 hours early if we had wanted to eat leisurely in haymarket area. Excuse the early morning bitching, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Hey Jimmy, it's Gate 25!  No wonder you couldn't get your food in time; you were short 2 Gates.   Get with the Railyard culture, my friend!   :)

I would suggest in the future that you venture a few blocks south and east of the arena. You can walk right in to most paces and sit if you are 1 1/2 hours early. And most of them are much better than what is in the Railyard or across the street from the arena.

I will weigh in on our team. Bear in mind I haven't watched all or even most of the games. They are talented plus and had a bad night defensively against Creighton. The D will show up and that will allow the offense to move at their own pace. Back to your regularly scheduled program. tux 

One word Jimmy

Excuse the early morning bitching, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

One word, Jimmy:  Jura-Capresso  (ok, ok maybe it's two!)  :P

https://www.google.com/search?q=jura+capresso+picture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=jura+capresso+j-5+picture

My wife likes her coffee strong in the morning (to Pop the eyeballs open)