The Best Players in Nebraska Since Miles Was Hired

hhctony

The one we all clamored for is a lonely soul in the Big East.

Two are at Creighton, and one --  A FRESHMAN -- took Shields to school last night.

The last -- and my favorite while I watched him at Omaha Central -- is in the top-ten in the nation in steals.

I'm not on here enough, but this infuriates me.

What is kind of funny about this is that when Miles was at CSU he went after a number of Nebraska high school guys.  I think there are some good ones out there now in the state as well and I think Miles is following them very closely.  I think some of the players you are referring to also had some questions as far as grades and other issues. It is tough only having 13 ships to give but I think we will see more Nebraska kids (like Arop) in the future on the NU roster.

You not being on here enough infuriates us as well ;)

To your point, there's no excuse for not being able to scout and acquire at least one of these players. Miles had it rough coming into this program and has done a great job upgrading our talent, but he's got a lot of obvious missing pieces that we haven't filled over the last 3 years. I just don't want to go back to a coaching strategy of recruiting at the furthest parts of the country just to assemble a team.

Two are at Creighton, and one --  A FRESHMAN -- took Shields to school last night.

The last -- and my favorite while I watched him at Omaha Central -- is in the top-ten in the nation in steals.

Not only this...but this staff didn't even try to land Thomas. 

I'll just add this. We have great basketball coaches in this state. And, for the most part, we have some pretty good players here, too. Find one who wants to be a Husker and who will work hard. I do think both Trueblood and Borchardt will give us quality minutes down the road. Love that we have Arop committed.

Now, let's go win some basketball games in the rest of December.

It's like he thinks the guys he recruited at Colorado State couldn't win for him at Nebraska in the Big Ten. I beg to differ, I guess.

What is kind of funny about this is that when Miles was at CSU he went after a number of Nebraska high school guys.  I think there are some good ones out there now in the state as well and I think Miles is following them very closely.  I think some of the players you are referring to also had some questions as far as grades and other issues. It is tough only having 13 ships to give but I think we will see more Nebraska kids (like Arop) in the future on the NU roster.

Deverell Biggs should probably be on that list.  How much of that experience impacted our recruiting, or lack thereof, in Omaha?

Two are at Creighton, and one -- A FRESHMAN -- took Shields to school last night.

Miles said differently when asked the question on his post game show last night.

If you read my posts on the recruiting forum, you know I'm an unabashed booster of local talent, so take this with a grain of salt. (Well, everything on this board should be taken with a grain of salt.)

Khyri Thomas didn't sneak up on anybody. He was the player of the year in Nebraska. Big schools don't come here to recruit because there aren't enough players to make it worth following. So unless a local kid "blows up" on the AAU circuit, then the big boys don't bother with this area. But that's not an excuse for us, they're right in front of our noses.

For us to have evaluated Thomas at the same time we were offering (you fill in the blank, I don't like criticizing our players) and thought Thomas wasn't worth a scholarship is unbelievable. The kid can score, he's athletic and he has some ungodly wingspan. He showed he was a great defender in high school.

It's not like Creighton has it figured out either. They brought in Gilmore from Texas (I think we offered him too) and passed on Treshawn Thurman. He's 6-7 (same size as Gilmore), shoots 3s, strong as heck and jumps out of the gym. Somebody mentioned grades, but that wasn't an issue.

It looks like we've seen the light now, with Arop and Ed Chang. It's not like you're going to fill out your roster with Nebraska kids, but there's no excuse to be missing on them when you're whiffing every year on an a player or two you brought in from far away.

Two are at Creighton, and one -- A FRESHMAN -- took Shields to school last night.

Miles said differently when asked the question on his post game show last night.
What did Miles say? Khyri said Nebraska did not really recruit him. And I'm more inclined to believe Khyri as one of the two has egg on their face currently and it isn't Khyri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac and the staff put in the work early and often with khyri - the day he announced he was headed to fork union we offered him a scholarship. They had been betting on him going that route considering he'd gotten practically zero attention from anyone besides us. A few ESPN guys had nice things to say about him during his time there. IMO Miles just missed the opportunity and if he realized at some point he would be a guy worth bringing in, it was too late and not worth the effort

To echo Chuck Taylor's words, I do not believe the staff has it "figured out" yet, either, although there's still hope for optimism. Foster can straight up play - and if Watson can't get his shit together then I say give Foster the ball and let Mo play 20 minutes his back up next year. Ronnie Harrell has looked either really good or lost on the court this year - only 18 years old still. We took a shot in the dark with the 6'4 NC guard but he looks to have a good foundation, physically speaking. Our '17 top 50 pickup from Oak Hill looks good by all accounts.

All that said, the true key to the program's future honestly hinges on how Justin Patton progresses, and I really hate to pin those hopes on such a young kid. But if he can become that game changing defensive big man with offensive skills, then this team could really make some noise down the road. We have plenty of perimeter players for the foreseeable future, and power forwards galore with Huff, Hegner, and Krampelj - but especially after this year once GG graduates, the key is Justin. I'm optimistic, but if he busts, put him into the nevin johnson, andre yates, LGIII category. And this team will continue to suffer on the defensive end for it

Could Hollins or Thurman of UNO have helped at Nebraska?

Definitely with Thurman. Hollins is disruptive on defense, but that's not our biggest priority. Good player for UNO, though. I don't know if Hansen can coach, jury's still out, but he's assembling a nice roster with local kids. Mitchell Hahn's redshirting, will help them a lot next year.

Not sure where you're coming from here, Tony, to be honest.

Your post makes it sound like you think the one guy we actually tried to get wasn't worth the effort, but it sure would have been nice to have a 6'9", 240# center on the floor for us last night.

The one at UNO that leads the nation in steals/game:  You think he should be a Husker?  You fault Miles for not offering?

Now, Patton and Thomas.  Let's take Patton.  Who offered besides Creighton?  He blew up the summer AFTER they offered and wound up something like a 5-star per Scout.com.  But 5-star players don't need a developmental year as a redshirt.  Players who need to take redshirt years weren't worthy of being considered 5-star players.  Period.

Thomas.  You think Miles missed on him?  Miles and 350 other D1 coaches?

I agree.  Here's what I said about Thomas, in the "In state kids" thread on the recruiting page on February 12, 2015:

Hey, Mose, how the hell are ya, buddy?  Glad to see you back here.

I actually think this kid is a great get for you guys.  Perhaps the best player in your class and that includes Patton.  I watched some film on him.  I love his size.  He's a very well built player for his size, the kind who can take a beating.  And probably deliver one as well.  But he's a pretty skilled kid, too, and fairly athletic. 

I've been watching a little bit on the BJU and saw the continuing pursuit of him and I was hoping you guys would land him.  I think he'll be the hidden gem of your class.

It's very easy to look at last night's box score and say we shoulda.  Or to look at Creighton's season stats and see what this kid ended up doing. 

But what did you have to say about him BEFORE he stepped foot on a college campus?

Why so cryptic? Is this a test? Not everybody follows every single player in college or from H.S., even in Nebraska. Could someone name exactly who all 4 guys are... I think I know 3 of 'em. Okay, maybe Tony is only referring to 3. I'm cornfused. ;)

Why so cryptic? Is this a test? Not everybody follows every single player in college or from H.S., even in Nebraska. Could someone name exactly who all 4 guys are... I think I know 3 of 'em. Okay, maybe Tony is only referring to 3. I'm cornfused. ;)

Agau is the "lonely soul" in the Big East

Tra'Deon Hollins is leading the nation in steals at UNO.

The two at Creighton are Patton, who is sitting out as a redshirt this year, and Thomas, who made us pay for not recruiting him harder.

Agau is the "lonely soul" in the Big East

Tra'Deon Hollins is leading the nation in steals at UNO.

The two at Creighton are Patton, who is sitting out as a redshirt this year, and Thomas, who made us pay for not recruiting him harder.

Forgot about Akoy Agau, didn't realize that so many folks were 'clamoring' for him. lol

What did Miles say? Khyri said Nebraska did not really recruit him. And I'm more inclined to believe Khyri as one of the two has egg on their face currently and it isn't Khyri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?  I think players sometimes play up recruiting "snubs" as motivation when they go to play in games against schools they chose not to attend.

Terrence Badgett made that same kind of comment after we whupped up on Creighton in '92, that Rick Johnson hadn't tried to recruit him.

It wasn't true.

But you go on ahead and believe whomever you wish.

Your post makes it sound like you think the one guy we actually tried to get wasn't worth the effort, but it sure would have been nice to have a 6'9", 240# center on the floor for us last night.

The one at UNO that leads the nation in steals/game:  You think he should be a Husker?  You fault Miles for not offering?

Now, Patton and Thomas.  Let's take Patton.  Who offered besides Creighton?  He blew up the summer AFTER they offered and wound up something like a 5-star per Scout.com.  But 5-star players don't need a developmental year as a redshirt.  Players who need to take redshirt years weren't worthy of being considered 5-star players.  Period.

I agree.  Here's what I said about Thomas, in the "In state kids" thread on the recruiting page on February 12, 2015:

I actually think this kid is a great get for you guys.  Perhaps the best player in your class and that includes Patton.  I watched some film on him.  I love his size.  He's a very well built player for his size, the kind who can take a beating.  And probably deliver one as well.  But he's a pretty skilled kid, too, and fairly athletic. 

I've been watching a little bit on the BJU and saw the continuing pursuit of him and I was hoping you guys would land him.  I think he'll be the hidden gem of your class.

It's very easy to look at last night's box score and say we shoulda.  Or to look at Creighton's season stats and see what this kid ended up doing. 

But what did you have to say about him BEFORE he stepped foot on a college campus?

The point isn't that anonymous message board posters didn't spot Thomas, it's that the coaching staff didn't.  I don't come on this board bitching about the coaches all the time, but this is a legitimate question. And while maybe Thomas saying he wasn't recruited is a stretch, Miles saying they were on him might be as well. The fact is there's no evidence he was offered.  

Last night wasn't a one-shot thing, he's averaging 11 points and shooting 63.8%. And he shut down our best player. But I'll look up his stats at the end of the season and let you know how it turns out.

The point isn't that anonymous message board posters didn't spot Thomas, it's that the coaching staff didn't.  I don't come on this board bitching about the coaches all the time, but this is a legitimate question. And while maybe Thomas saying he wasn't recruited is a stretch, Miles saying they were on him might be as well. The fact is there's no evidence he was offered.  

Last night wasn't a one-shot thing, he's averaging 11 points and shooting 63.8%. And he shut down our best player. But I'll look up his stats at the end of the season and let you know how it turns out.

A lot of 'anonymous message board posters' and "men on the street" -- not all men, mostly men ;) -- were in on Khryi Thomas' rise to a level of 'greatness,' so to speak. Odd that Miles wouldn't have been one of those putting on the full-court press as he did for a few others lately that are either on the team or will be on the team soon. Guess we'll likely never truly know Nebraska's reasons for not doing so.

Norm -- I am gonna start this post with an apology. I was not thinking Hollins, but that's who I described. So, that's my bad. I was think of Tre'Shawn Thurman.

As for Thomas, he was our state player of the year. So, I think that say something about what folks thought about him BEFORE he went to the military academy and then Creighton.

I'm not really saying Miles "missed" on anybody. You recruit the kids you think will win games for your team. I really like the freshmen that we have. What I am trying to say I "hate" is kids FROM NEBRASKA helping OTHER TEAMS FROM NEBRASKA and not us. Will we get them all? No. But, dang it anyway. These "kids from Nebraska" have also played some pretty good basketball this year. Heck, the Daum kid from Kimball is averaging 11.5 points and 6 rebounds for SDSU off the bench and they won at Minnesota (something we'd be ecstatic to do) and are 8-1.

We have a coach who to went the NCAAs with four Nebraska kids. I'm not saying all. I'm saying some.

You don't have to come back at the end of the season to prove to me how good Thomas is.  I'm the one who said, nearly a year ago before any of these kids played a college game, that I thought he was Creighton's best recruit -- including that "5-star" Patton kid.  So you don't have to prove me right on him. 

But where was the groundswell of people back then saying, man, we need to offer him?

You don't have to come back at the end of the season to prove to me how good Thomas is.  I'm the one who said, nearly a year ago before any of these kids played a college game, that I thought he was Creighton's best recruit -- including that "5-star" Patton kid.  So you don't have to prove me right on him. 

But where was the groundswell of people back then saying, man, we need to offer him?

Sometimes I think I am living in the Twilight Zone.  What does it matter if random Nebraska fans on a message board clamored for a local recruit?  I don't know about you all, but I haven't watched a single high school game in 20+ year.  Maybe you spend your whole life watching every single high school game and scouting the next great player, but man, I don't get it.

Last time I checked Miles is the HC of a Div. 1 BIG team in the state of Nebraska and he gets paid $2M to evaluate, recruit and sign qualify players who can elevate our program.  Why are we even having this discussion?  Are you seriously suggesting that its not a miss by Miles because anonymous fans on a message board didn't call for it before it happened?  smh

Great, you spotted him ahead of everybody else. Board cred. But I'm asking about the coaching staff. It would be nice if they had more knowledge than the rest of the message board denizens. Like I said, I don't know if I've ever come on here to bitch about the coaches, so I'll let it drop at that.