The Best Players in Nebraska Since Miles Was Hired

hhctony

Sometimes I think I am living in the Twilight Zone.  What does it matter if random Nebraska fans on a message board clamored for a local recruit?  I don't know about you all, but I haven't watched a single high school game in 20+ year.  Maybe you spend your whole life watching every single high school game and scouting the next great player, but man, I don't get it.

Last time I checked Miles is the HC of a Div. 1 BIG team in the state of Nebraska and he gets paid $2M to evaluate, recruit and sign qualify players who can elevate our program.  Why are we even having this discussion?  Are you seriously suggesting that its not a miss by Miles because anonymous fans on a message board didn't call for it before it happened?  smh

No.  You obviously totally missed the point.  (Sigh.  Do I even attempt an explanation?)

Tony said it really irks him (my paraphrase) that these terrific Omaha players are on someone else's bench.  See the OP.

My response was (paraphrasing): were you on these guys back at the time, saying we should offer them?  Especially Thomas?  The only one I remember saying he was that good was me, sticking my neck out.  No one saw this kid coming in and doing what he's done.  No one.  And if you say you did, I say bullshit, show me the post.  And if you weren't saying it then, don't tell me you're irked about it now.

Now, you come in and say "It's Miles' job to scout these high school kids and bring in good players and he should have known that Khyri Thomas was going to be such a stud."  (Paraphrasing.)

And my responses to YOU are:

1.  Not a single D1 coach in the entire country, no matter how much they're being paid, saw this happening.  Aside from the Creighton offer -- which came relatively late, after Thomas's senior year of HS -- he only had offers from UMKC, UNO and Portland State.

2.  We had Watson, Jacobson and Morrow in the fold.  We had room for 1 more guy at that point without oversigning and we needed a big man (still do.)  At the END of the season, Petteway, Pitchford and Smith left, opening three additional spots but, by that time, Thomas was already a Creighton commit.  When was Miles supposed to get involved with him?

3.  Recruiting is not an exact science, no matter how much a coach is paid.  Name the D1 coaches who saw Scottie Pippen getting into the NBA Hall of Fame.  Name them.  Nolan Richardson was paid a lot of money.  How come he didn't recruit a kid from within the state of Arkansas? 

4.  If Miles had offered a scholarship to Johnny Trueblood and we'd passed on Khyri Thomas, I'd have a big problem with it.  Then, I could see people saying Miles can't ID talent.  But which of the freshmen that we brought in instead of going after Thomas do you think don't belong on a D1 roster?

5.  Did you know Thomas was having academic issues at Benson, which resulted in him going to prep school and reclassifying as a 2015 recruit?  Did you know that?  Should Miles routinely spend scholarships on guys who are potential academic casualties?

Jeez, Norm, you have almost 15,000 posts, so you're easy to quote. So here's another from you, this one I agree with:

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I hate to say it but it's the kind of thing that we on here have hoped would happen to us, where a very under-the-radar kid comes along in our back yard and we get him because no one else knew about him because he grew 14 inches over the summer or whatever.  Obviously, you can't rely or depend on always signing the ugly ducklings that becomes the swans (no offense, swan.)  But that's the kind of luck that we've always wished we would experience, simply because we know we're not going to go head to head with Duke for Jahlil Okafor and win that recruiting battle.  Instead, we have to find the kids that others never saw.

And to beat this dead horse further into submission, kudos to you for posting about Khyri but he was not a hidden gem. Everybody around here knew he was good but he had academic issues he needed to clear up. And Patton may have exploded nationally with a big AAU summer, but he was known around here. He was a skinny, skilled big kid who missed a lot of his junior season with illness. It's understandable that out-of-state schools didn't put in the time to know what's going on with the Omaha basketball scene. But for us?

The one we all clamored for is a lonely soul in the Big East.

Two are at Creighton, and one --  A FRESHMAN -- took Shields to school last night.

The last -- and my favorite while I watched him at Omaha Central -- is in the top-ten in the nation in steals.

I'm not on here enough, but this infuriates me.

Not sure where you're coming from here, Tony, to be honest.

Your post makes it sound like you think the one guy we actually tried to get wasn't worth the effort, but it sure would have been nice to have a 6'9", 240# center on the floor for us last night.

The one at UNO that leads the nation in steals/game:  You think he should be a Husker?  You fault Miles for not offering?

Now, Patton and Thomas.  Let's take Patton.  Who offered besides Creighton?  He blew up the summer AFTER they offered and wound up something like a 5-star per Scout.com.  But 5-star players don't need a developmental year as a redshirt.  Players who need to take redshirt years weren't worthy of being considered 5-star players.  Period.

Thomas.  You think Miles missed on him?  Miles and 350 other D1 coaches?

I agree.  Here's what I said about Thomas, in the "In state kids" thread on the recruiting page on February 12, 2015:

Hey, Mose, how the hell are ya, buddy?  Glad to see you back here.

I actually think this kid is a great get for you guys.  Perhaps the best player in your class and that includes Patton.  I watched some film on him.  I love his size.  He's a very well built player for his size, the kind who can take a beating.  And probably deliver one as well.  But he's a pretty skilled kid, too, and fairly athletic. 

I've been watching a little bit on the BJU and saw the continuing pursuit of him and I was hoping you guys would land him.  I think he'll be the hidden gem of your class.

It's very easy to look at last night's box score and say we shoulda.  Or to look at Creighton's season stats and see what this kid ended up doing. 

But what did you have to say about him BEFORE he stepped foot on a college campus?

Patton actually had offers from Oregon and Texas almost immediately after he committed, but his AAU coach started handling all of the phone calls and telling schools that he was committed and that they should stop calling.

Sometimes I think I am living in the Twilight Zone.  What does it matter if random Nebraska fans on a message board clamored for a local recruit?  I don't know about you all, but I haven't watched a single high school game in 20+ year.  Maybe you spend your whole life watching every single high school game and scouting the next great player, but man, I don't get it.

Last time I checked Miles is the HC of a Div. 1 BIG team in the state of Nebraska and he gets paid $2M to evaluate, recruit and sign qualify players who can elevate our program.  Why are we even having this discussion?  Are you seriously suggesting that its not a miss by Miles because anonymous fans on a message board didn't call for it before it happened?  smh

No.  You obviously totally missed the point.  (Sigh.  Do I even attempt an explanation?)

Tony said it really irks him (my paraphrase) that these terrific Omaha players are on someone else's bench.  See the OP.

My response was (paraphrasing): were you on these guys back at the time, saying we should offer them?  Especially Thomas?  The only one I remember saying he was that good was me, sticking my neck out.  No one saw this kid coming in and doing what he's done.  No one.  And if you say you did, I say bullshit, show me the post.  And if you weren't saying it then, don't tell me you're irked about it now.

Now, you come in and say "It's Miles' job to scout these high school kids and bring in good players and he should have known that Khyri Thomas was going to be such a stud."  (Paraphrasing.)

1.  Not a single D1 coach in the entire country, no matter how much they're being paid, saw this happening.  Aside from the Creighton offer -- which came relatively late, after Thomas's senior year of HS -- he only had offers from UMKC, UNO and Portland State.

2.  We had Watson, Jacobson and Morrow in the fold.  We had room for 1 more guy at that point without oversigning and we needed a big man (still do.)  At the END of the season, Petteway, Pitchford and Smith left, opening three additional spots but, by that time, Thomas was already a Creighton commit.  When was Miles supposed to get involved with him?

3.  Recruiting is not an exact science, no matter how much a coach is paid.  Name the D1 coaches who saw Scottie Pippen getting into the NBA Hall of Fame.  Name them.  Nolan Richardson was paid a lot of money.  How come he didn't recruit a kid from within the state of Arkansas? 

4.  If Miles had offered a scholarship to Johnny Trueblood and we'd passed on Khyri Thomas, I'd have a big problem with it.  Then, I could see people saying Miles can't ID talent.  But which of the freshmen that we brought in instead of going after Thomas do you think don't belong on a D1 roster?

5.  Did you know Thomas was having academic issues at Benson, which resulted in him going to prep school and reclassifying as a 2015 recruit?  Did you know that?  Should Miles routinely spend scholarships on guys who are potential academic casualties?

Like I said, I don't follow HS basketball.  But there are lots of people who do (like Chuck Taylor) who could see Thomas' potential.  Heck, even you did, so kudos to you.  But that begs the questions, why didn't Miles.

Yes, there are 350 other coaches who didn't offer, but how many of them are located within 50 miles of Omaha?  Hmmmm.  And yes, Thomas had some academic questions, but that didn't seem to impede McD from scouting him, seeing his value, and offering him.  And yes, Miles still had one open scholarship in the early signing period, and WE ALL know that at least 1 or 2 players leave every year, right?  And it wasn't too hard to know that Petteway was going to leave.  And even if no one left, you can always make room, that is the way it works. But instead, Miles didn't offer, Thomas got scooped up by McD, and then 3 players did leave, and we scoured the nation to find Bakari out of Arizona (via Michigan or something like that) and we still had (and still have) an open scholarship being unused.  Oh, and then Patton got snagged up as well, did Miles even offer?  Why was McD able to see his potential way before MIles was?

Look, we can explain away why it happened all day and again tomorrow, but in the end it is Miles job to get these things right. Does that hold him to a high standard. Absolutely.  But that is what is required when you earn $2M/year in your job.  High salary and B1G HC job = high expectations. Maybe Miles will sign 2 more 5* guys this spring and all of this will be moot.  I hope so.  But right now I am left shaking my head.

With all that said, I am happy to see him get in early on some of the younger Omaha prospects.  Like I said, I don't follow HS hoops, but that boy Chang sure looks the part.  Have we offered him?  I don't think so.  Do any of you HS hoops experts have more info on him?  Is he legit?  Hate to let another one get away while we are pondering whether or not to offer.

Creighton offered Thomas in July 2014 - after Thomas had already graduated from Benson and had chosen to go to Fork Union. Creighton cultivated a strong relationship that Nebraska didn't. Thomas would have had some high-major offers if he hadn't chosen to commit to Creighton in February 2015. They were coming. 

Nebraska perhaps didn't know it'd have a guard spot open since Tarin Smith was still in the program when Thomas committed to CU. 

The T. Smith recruitment, in hindsight, was an impediment on a couple fronts. It'll be resolved next season with Gill, who functionally becomes a junior when Smith would have been. 

For what it's worth, we offered Aguek Arop in the summer of '14 and think we might have pulled the trigger early as a result of the Patton experience. I'm sure we also thought he could play, but it's possible we might have held off if it hadn't been for Patton. That's just my conjecture.

As for Chang, yes, we're on him and he's good. I think he'll get high offers. And just for the record, only about 10% of my opinions are based on my own expertise, from watching kids play (not highlight videos). I'm a hoops junkie and mostly post what I hear from coaches and refs in the area. So I may be an idiot, but I occasionally pass along stuff from smart people.

Creighton offered Thomas in July 2014 - after Thomas had already graduated from Benson and had chosen to go to Fork Union. Creighton cultivated a strong relationship that Nebraska didn't. Thomas would have had some high-major offers if he hadn't chosen to commit to Creighton in February 2015. They were coming. 

Nebraska perhaps didn't know it'd have a guard spot open since Tarin Smith was still in the program when Thomas committed to CU

The T. Smith recruitment, in hindsight, was an impediment on a couple fronts. It'll be resolved next season with Gill, who functionally becomes a junior when Smith would have been. 

And perhaps Miles didn't know he would leave the 13th scholarship on the table for the 4th consecutive recruiting class?  With that in mind maybe it would be wise for Miles to start planning ahead and over signing and let the roster work itself out at the end of the season?  I actually like Bakari...but I think the writing is on the wall that he may be finishing his career elsewhere.  Had we recruited Thomas, he very well could have taken Bakari's spot.  

Nebraska perhaps didn't know it'd have a guard spot open since Tarin Smith was still in the program when Thomas committed to CU. 

And where were we sitting scholarship-wise in July 2014.  Were we looking for guards or were we looking for bigs?

We got a commit from Andrew White in August 2014.  That was followed, in short succession, by commits from Glynn Watson and Ed Morrow.  Michael Jacobson was in there somewhere.

Tell me which of these recruits we took in the 2015 class (to include White) don't belong on a D1 roster.

Which ones?  NUdiehard, answer that question. 

It's not like Miles passed up Thomas and took a bunch of stiffs instead.

And it's not like he hasn't invested effort in trying to open up bridges with Omaha kids.

I think most people are bent because Thomas is playing so well that people think the coaches MUST have known.  But I'm telling you no one saw this coming, not even Khyri himself.

Like I said, I don't follow HS basketball.  But there are lots of people who do (like Chuck Taylor) who could see Thomas' potential.  Heck, even you did, so kudos to you.  But that begs the questions, why didn't Miles.

Yes, there are 350 other coaches who didn't offer, but how many of them are located within 50 miles of Omaha?  Hmmmm.  And yes, Thomas had some academic questions, but that didn't seem to impede McD from scouting him, seeing his value, and offering him.  And yes, Miles still had one open scholarship in the early signing period, and WE ALL know that at least 1 or 2 players leave every year, right?  And it wasn't too hard to know that Petteway was going to leave.  And even if no one left, you can always make room, that is the way it works. But instead, Miles didn't offer, Thomas got scooped up by McD, and then 3 players did leave, and we scoured the nation to find Bakari out of Arizona (via Michigan or something like that) and we still had (and still have) an open scholarship being unused.  Oh, and then Patton got snagged up as well, did Miles even offer?  Why was McD able to see his potential way before MIles was?

Look, we can explain away why it happened all day and again tomorrow, but in the end it is Miles job to get these things right. Does that hold him to a high standard. Absolutely.  But that is what is required when you earn $2M/year in your job.  High salary and B1G HC job = high expectations. Maybe Miles will sign 2 more 5* guys this spring and all of this will be moot.  I hope so.  But right now I am left shaking my head.

With all that said, I am happy to see him get in early on some of the younger Omaha prospects.  Like I said, I don't follow HS hoops, but that boy Chang sure looks the part.  Have we offered him?  I don't think so.  Do any of you HS hoops experts have more info on him?  Is he legit?  Hate to let another one get away while we are pondering whether or not to offer.

I think Chang is on the verge of getting some major offers.  Still only a Sophomore but has shown a ton of growth and we could see more.  There is a thread on him on the recruiting page.

Re: Chang:  He's tall, he's a good shooter with range, and he's athletic.  Not sure why you'd slow-play a kid there, but that's my thinking.  I guess I'd offer.

Good hoops guys I talk to in Omaha say he'll get high major offers. Sounds like some UCLA interest already. 

And where were we sitting scholarship-wise in July 2014.  Were we looking for guards or were we looking for bigs?

We got a commit from Andrew White in August 2014.  That was followed, in short succession, by commits from Glynn Watson and Ed Morrow.  Michael Jacobson was in there somewhere.

Tell me which of these recruits we took in the 2015 class (to include White) don't belong on a D1 roster.

Which ones?  NUdiehard, answer that question. 

It's not like Miles passed up Thomas and took a bunch of stiffs instead.

And it's not like he hasn't invested effort in trying to open up bridges with Omaha kids.

I think most people are bent because Thomas is playing so well that people think the coaches MUST have known.  But I'm telling you no one saw this coming, not even Khyri himself.

That's not quite accurate - Creighton knew. Creighton offered Thomas after he left Benson, but not requiring additional proof at Fork Union. 

At any rate, Nebraska's recruiting in 2012, 2013 and 2014 is what it is. I believe, starting with this current freshman class + White, it has improved, and it will inform the crucial years of Miles tenure, the 5th and 6th years. 

Miles is going to have 6 top 150 kids on the roster next year.  Think about that.  Now, that doesn't mean they don't all pan out, but somebody saw a lot of talent in these kids.

I know people get bent out of shape when we lose to CU and alll of a sudden have to "compare" everything.  I actually (and some will call me crazy) think NU will have a better overall year than CU.  They will get bragging rights for beating us again, and so be it. But I still like our roster and think our freshman overall are going to continue to improve a lot.  Watson, Jacobson, McVeigh and Morrow have all shown they can play.  They are no doubt going to have their ups and downs, but there is talent there.  

The key now is trying to somehow find that solid low post player.  That is the one knock on Miles.  Finding that solid big man for us. These next 9 games for NU will be telling of our season.  It all starts Sunday, but if you look at our next 9 games, we have chance to get on a nice run and build momentum.  We have to win on Sunday and get the ball rolling in the right direction.  NU has 5 home games in a row, need to take advantage of it.

One other thing with the In-State kids.  I get so sick and tired of every damn year people bringing this up when they see a good game or 2 from 1 or 2 In-State kids.  I follow Nebraska HS hoops pretty closely and there just aren't a ton of great players in the State.  When Collier went the "In-State" route it really back fired on him.  Yes they are a feel good story when they pan out.  But overeall the talent in the State just isn't all that good.  I do like Chang from PLV and getting Arop from South is a good start as well.  

One other thing with the In-State kids.  I get so sick and tired of every damn year people bringing this up when they see a good game or 2 from 1 or 2 In-State kids.  I follow Nebraska HS hoops pretty closely and there just aren't a ton of great players in the State.  When Collier went the "In-State" route it really back fired on him.  Yes they are a feel good story when they pan out.  But overeall the talent in the State just isn't all that good.  I do like Chang from PLV and getting Arop from South is a good start as well.  

Weren't you the same poster who was claiming last summer that Khyri Thomas wasn't very good?

So it's a fluke that Miles went the NCAA Tournament with four Nebraska kids? It's a fluke that South Dakota State has a redshirt freshman averaging 11.5 and 6 ppg for an 8-1 team that won at Minnesota? It's a fluke that Omaha has a kid in the top-10 in the nation in steals and another who is as athletic as any 6-7 kid Nebraska has? The Thomas kid from Benson is a fluke? How about that point guard from Iowa (I know this is not Miles fault). Is he a fluke as well? Sheesh. Lot of talent playing in a ton of places; none of them Lincoln.

Weren't you the same poster who was claiming last summer that Khyri Thomas wasn't very good?

I may have?  Honestly don't remember.  So even if I did, I apparently missed out on him like the other 300+ coaches that didn't recruit him.   I will do a better job of trying to evaluate talent for you next time.  My deepest apologies. 

So it's a fluke that Miles went the NCAA Tournament with four Nebraska kids? It's a fluke that South Dakota State has a redshirt freshman averaging 11.5 and 6 ppg for an 8-1 team that won at Minnesota? It's a fluke that Omaha has a kid in the top-10 in the nation in steals and another who is as athletic as any 6-7 kid Nebraska has? The Thomas kid from Benson is a fluke? How about that point guard from Iowa (I know this is not Miles fault). Is he a fluke as well? Sheesh. Lot of talent playing in a ton of places; none of them Lincoln.

Who are the four kids on the NCAA team?  Sorry, I can only think of Menke, Peltz and Kye?  And yes, they were a vital part of our success? 

When those other kids came out and went to any of the other schools (outside of Gessell) were you pissed off then that NU missed on them?  Do you want a list of the Nebraska kids that have not panned out at D1 programs as well?  For every kid you bring up, I could find just as many that didn't pan out.  The point being, nobody knows for sure how good any of these HS kids will be.  Do I want Nebraska kids on our roster?  ABSOLUTELY!  But we have to find kids that are able to compete night in and night out in the B10.  Would all of the kids you mentioned above be able too outside of maybe Thomas?  Maybe they could have?  But at the same time, I am very pleased with the freshman we have too. 

Just curious, when Collier went the "Nebraska" route with Muhleinsen, Dourrisseau, Enright, Wilkinson, did they take us where we wanted to go?  I mean after all, he did get some of the better players in the State to come play for NU. 

bball23, I believe tony's talking about the NCAA tourney team Miles had at CSU.  He had some Nebraska kids on that roster.

Wes Eikmeier

Jesse Carr

Dwight Smith

Greg Smith

and he also had Colton Iverson from Yankton, which is practically Nebraska anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Colorado_State_Rams_men%27s_basketball_team

bball23, I believe tony's talking about the NCAA tourney team Miles had at CSU.  He had some Nebraska kids on that roster.

Wes Eikmeier

Jesse Carr

Dwight Smith

Greg Smith

and he also had Colton Iverson from Yankton, which is practically Nebraska anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Colorado_State_Rams_men%27s_basketball_team

Gotcha!  Again, I'm trying not to come off as a jerk (which I know is hard to read behind a screen), but do those guys get NU to the tourney in the B10?  I just can't see it personally.  Now, I would like a guy like Eikmeier or Carr from the shooters standpoint.  Maybe NU will go after the stud from Scottsbluff that dropped 52 yesterday including 10 3's? 

The first thing he did was go out and land Deverell Biggs. His first guy was an Omaha guy and still haven't had you acknowledge his existence in this thread. ;)

If you want to look down the road at Creighton, (unless I'm missing someintg) the first two scholarship Omaha kids of the McDermott era started this year.

UNO? They're fun to watch and they have some nice pieces. I think there grade and roster issues with Thurman in addition to the bad taste of Biggs and Agau that kept us from really considering a guy who would play minutes here.

Hollins has a bunch of steals for a team that is geared around stealing the ball. He's also 1-21 from downtown. We're trying to play pack defense here so I'm not sure he would have like it and/or thrived here.

He's got one of the best kids out of the 2017 class locked down and we're in play for one of the best players in 2018. I hope we're building those inroads at the right time in terms of available talent because talent being equal, i'd rather have local kids than rolling the dice with guys from the Southern Hemisphere.

Wes Eikmeier

Jesse Carr

Dwight Smith

Greg Smith

Gotcha!  Again, I'm trying not to come off as a jerk (which I know is hard to read behind a screen), but do those guys get NU to the tourney in the B10?  I just can't see it personally.  Now, I would like a guy like Eikmeier or Carr from the shooters standpoint.  Maybe NU will go after the stud from Scottsbluff that dropped 52 yesterday including 10 3's?