Creighton Game

big red22

The center position is really the only position I think Creighton has a clear advantage on.  Groselle is solid and is something we are lacking on this team....if Miles chooses not to double him I think we will have issues.  It may leave some open threes...we just have to hope Jays miss more than they make. 

The center position is really the only position I think Creighton has a clear advantage on.  Groselle is solid and is something we are lacking on this team....if Miles chooses not to double him I think we will have issues.  It may leave some open threes...we just have to hope Jays miss more than they make. 

Problem is that usually don't happen on their home floor.  When they get on a roll from behind the arc, they can come in bunches.  You do not want to leave this team open to shoot wide open three's or we could be in a world of hurt.  Our post players are going to just need to man up down low.

Problem is that usually don't happen on their home floor.  When they get on a roll from behind the arc, they can come in bunches.  You do not want to leave this team open to shoot wide open three's or we could be in a world of hurt.  Our post players are going to just need to man up down low.

I agree with 13 that the biggest by-position advantage they have (maybe the only by-position advantage they have) is at Center.  How do we play them?  Can we afford to double the post without exposing us to a barrage of threes?

Counter-question:  How do THEY play US?  If Huff doesn't play, I'm not sure how they guard Shavon.  Hegner can pick up slack on offense, for sure, but I don't know that Hegner can guard Shavon straight up. 

So, zone?  I like McVeigh against zone because he can shoot the three ball and he can also shoot out of the high post.  For once, we have some shooters this year who are solid from deep.  They're going to have to account for McVeigh and White at all times and Watson when he's in the game.  Even Benny and Tai if you can believe it.

This isn't the right game to make a major lineup change. Keep Glenn coming off the bench for now. He is doing fine in that capacity. You don't want his first start to come in a super hostile environment against a pretty decent point guard on the other team. I think they sound like fairly similar players with similar strengths and, for the time being, similar weaknesses. I'd almost rather have Benny on the floor shutting down their Watson on offense. We have other players who can score.

Yeah, I'd presume Maddie Simon will get a medical RS.  Hope she heals up well.

And, for the record, I'd advocate for more PT for Glynn (instead of 'starting spot'), I would rather Watson be in there at crunch time, anyways.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/husker-freshman-s-play-has-many-excited-but-glynn-watson/article_9875f103-26cb-5432-ac02-17d1dd6d3f8e.html

Khyri Thomas is an astouding 4-13 (30.8%) from the FT line and 10-15 (66.7%) from 3pt this year

Diiiiiiimes, dude. You have those backwards. -_-

I mean, those have to be backwards, don't they? :blink:

Nope

:P:huh::(:blink::ph34r::wacko::unsure:

Wow! Does that mean we'd better off fouling him shooting 3s in order to send him to the FT Line!

Well, if he shot 6 uncontested threes, he'd make four of them = 12 points.

If we fouled him shooting those threes, assuming he didn't make the basket, he'd shoot 18 FTs and make five of them = 5 points.

Sounds like a job for Tanner Borchardt.

#sports!

The center position is really the only position I think Creighton has a clear advantage on. Groselle is solid and is something we are lacking on this team....if Miles chooses not to double him I think we will have issues. It may leave some open threes...we just have to hope Jays miss more than they make.

Problem is that usually don't happen on their home floor. When they get on a roll from behind the arc, they can come in bunches. You do not want to leave this team open to shoot wide open three's or we could be in a world of hurt. Our post players are going to just need to man up down low.

Agreed. But if you can rotate at an NBA level then maybe we got a shot.

The center position is really the only position I think Creighton has a clear advantage on. Groselle is solid and is something we are lacking on this team....if Miles chooses not to double him I think we will have issues. It may leave some open threes...we just have to hope Jays miss more than they make.

Problem is that usually don't happen on their home floor. When they get on a roll from behind the arc, they can come in bunches. You do not want to leave this team open to shoot wide open three's or we could be in a world of hurt. Our post players are going to just need to man up down low.

I agree with 13 that the biggest by-position advantage they have (maybe the only by-position advantage they have) is at Center. How do we play them? Can we afford to double the post without exposing us to a barrage of threes?

Counter-question: How do THEY play US? If Huff doesn't play, I'm not sure how they guard Shavon. Hegner can pick up slack on offense, for sure, but I don't know that Hegner can guard Shavon straight up.

So, zone? I like McVeigh against zone because he can shoot the three ball and he can also shoot out of the high post. For once, we have some shooters this year who are solid from deep. They're going to have to account for McVeigh and White at all times and Watson when he's in the game. Even Benny and Tai if you can believe it.

Huff couldn't guard Shavon if he was 110% healthy. That'd be a terrible matchup on their part.

From what I can glean, the Bluejays consider this a "must" game to keep their delusion of making the NCAA field intact. According to Miles it is important, but not crucial, for us. We have to match their intensity, which we obviously did not do last year when we all thought we would win. Hopefully our coaches will be able to amp up the motivation without letting down for the Rhode Island game. I am optimistic for a 1-1 result nevertheless. 2-0 will be gravy and 0-2 might spoil my holiday mood.

us or them?

injury, in trouble or just to mix it up?

Us.  Miles mentioned he might shake up the starting lineup for tonight.  My guess would be:  Watson, Webster, Shields, White & Morrow.  After the slow start we gotten off to against CU over the past few years, he might want to start with a little more offensive punch and not dig a hole that we have to crawl out of.  Sounded like it's not a done deal but just something Miles mentioned that he is considering.  Will be interesting to see if he goes with Watson or Parker tonight.