Creighton Game

big red22

Thoughts from the board?

#1 - Make Goeffrey beat us... Quit doubling on the post and quit over helping on the post. Bait them into entering the ball in the most and having their bigs beat us. If we don't foul, this is going to really negate a lot of quality looks from 3 they get.

Groselle doesn't turn the ball over, draws contact, and knows how to finish when you get him the ball. I'm not sure that us allowing them to get the ball into the post seems like a pretty bad idea.
3 > 2

Been the problem past couple years.

60% 2pt shooting = 40% 3pt shooting.

Groselle is shooting at a 68% clip. The Jays aren't hitting 40%. Groselle has 4 assists on the year so it's not like he's finding 3pt shooters.

I get that it's pretty hard to double on the post and keep those guys from getting open looks but we took a good look at that sort of defense vs. ACU and the results weren't great. I know they have several guys that will burn you from 3, but do you really gameplan to takeaway 3s from anyone but Zierden and Huff/TOBY?

Mo Watson if the focal point of that offense. What do you do on him? Rotate Tai, Benny, and Watson on him to wear him down? Can you pressure him into 5+ turnovers like ASU/Rutgers?

Great discussion, Dimes. Good points. We'll certainly have to emphasize different things at different points in the game. I'd rather trade two's with them than 3's that allow them to jump on top of us early.

Also, That's why I suggested soft pressing them on makes to limit Mo Watson from attacking the elbows. And making sure we have the correct guys back on our shots so that we can corral Mo when he gets outlets on missed buckets.

Good luck on Wednesday folks.  I'm not super confident, but stranger things have happened.

You mean, like, last season, right?

I think you are going to get that one back this year. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's always a battle; Creighton hasn't been an easy out for us since I can't remember when.

And the injury thing to Huff doesn't make me feel any more comfortable.  Not after that infamous outing in 2005 when half of Creighton's roster was sick or injured.  We had, what?, 11 points at halftime?  Lost by a ton. 

That was a low water mark and the point in time where I started publicly lobbying for Collier to get canned (while still trying to say we don't need to bring it up in every single thread.)

Edited to add:  You knew the stars had aligned for Creighton that day when Josh Dotzler started dropping three-bombs on us in the first half.  Dotzler can't shoot.  WTH?

Was that the game that NU's guards couldn't figure out how to cross half-court.... having a vague recollection of it. Saw on the twitterverse that a 38-8 score ensued. Or maybe that was KU on Big Monday. Distant memories. Don't need to be re-played. Just curious. Thanks, Normy. I'll hang up & listen.

38-8 was two years ago.  Gibbs physically assaulted Terran in an effort to get him to do something stupid and get kicked out of the game, and it almost worked.

Terran also had the most violent dunk in that game I think of his whole NU career.  It was like hammer of Thor style.  Was it over Wragge or someone???  Not quite sure.  Anyway, I digress.

Norm is going back a bit further in the memory bank for his...but the point is, it doesn't matter the circumstance.  Creighton plays like they're the San Antonio Spurs against us no matter what.  Don't expect to see anything different from them this year despite how shabby they may be.  It will be as if we're playing a different blue bird (hawk) style team.  It's just the way it is.

Yeah, I realize that. It was a set-up for Normy to swoop in: I mixed my metaphors on purpose. Blue is better in Lawrence, KS, and Lexington, KY, and many other places. ;)

Fair enough.  But count me in with the "don't buy the sandbagging bullcrap that Cousin Mose is trying to feed us over here" camp.  You know damn good and well that Creighton and their fans expect this game to be over by halftime and for it to not even be close.  This is their everything, their Super Bowl and they will do anything...ANYTHING to win.  It means so much to them they get physically ill at the mere thought of losing to us.

This is what we deal with in this "rivalry".  They honestly would rather go 0-18 in conference play as long as it guaranteed a win against us.  (If you don't believe me go search for a poll taken last year on Bluejay Underground regarding that very scenario - beating Nebraska was the overwhelming winner, even if it meant a winless conference record)

So, if the team and we as fans don't go into this game every year with that in mind, and if we don't at least match that intensity, then no matter who is our coach, and no matter how talented our team is, we will only continue to get whipped like a rented mule.  Every.  Damn.  Year.

That's just the way it is...at least as I see it.

Fair enough.  But count me in with the "don't buy the sandbagging bullcrap that Cousin Mose is trying to feed us over here" camp.  You know damn good and well that Creighton and their fans expect this game to be over by halftime and for it to not even be close.  This is their everything, their Super Bowl and they will do anything...ANYTHING to win.  It means so much to them they get physically ill at the mere thought of losing to us.

This is what we deal with in this "rivalry".  They honestly would rather go 0-18 in conference play as long as it guaranteed a win against us.  (If you don't believe me go search for a poll taken last year on Bluejay Underground regarding that very scenario - beating Nebraska was the overwhelming winner, even if it meant a winless conference record)

So, if the team and we as fans don't go into this game every year with that in mind, and if we don't at least match that intensity, then no matter who is our coach, and no matter how talented our team is, we will only continue to get whipped like a rented mule.  Every.  Damn.  Year.

I totally agree, I hated how Collier and Sadler down played this game knowing darn well Creighton considered this thier superbowl every year.  We better match the intensity or we'll get beat.  Luckily I think Miles "gets it" alot more than the previous two coaches.

I totally agree, I hated how Collier and Sadler down played this game knowing darn well Creighton considered this thier superbowl every year.  We better match the intensity or we'll get beat.  Luckily I think Miles "gets it" alot more than the previous two coaches.

He does. Heck, Kenya Hunter is filling in for the Coach Miles Radio show tonight

HATE WEEK.  

Fair enough. But count me in with the "don't buy the sandbagging bullcrap that Cousin Mose is trying to feed us over here" camp. You know damn good and well that Creighton and their fans expect this game to be over by halftime and for it to not even be close. This is their everything, their Super Bowl and they will do anything...ANYTHING to win. It means so much to them they get physically ill at the mere thought of losing to us.

This is what we deal with in this "rivalry". They honestly would rather go 0-18 in conference play as long as it guaranteed a win against us. (If you don't believe me go search for a poll taken last year on Bluejay Underground regarding that very scenario - beating Nebraska was the overwhelming winner, even if it meant a winless conference record)

So, if the team and we as fans don't go into this game every year with that in mind, and if we don't at least match that intensity, then no matter who is our coach, and no matter how talented our team is, we will only continue to get whipped like a rented mule. Every. Damn. Year.

I totally agree, I hated how Collier and Sadler down played this game knowing darn well Creighton considered this thier superbowl every year. We better match the intensity or we'll get beat. Luckily I think Miles "gets it" alot more than the previous two coaches.
In his first three seasons, Sadler beat Creighton two out of three tries. So, if Miles "gets it" compared to Sadler, the actual results don't bare that out. I don't think any Husker coach would want to publicly admit that some mid-major club was a "rival," but give Sadler some credit for at least delivering a few wins in the series, which neither Collier nor Miles, so far, have managed to do.

Good luck on Wednesday folks.  I'm not super confident, but stranger things have happened.

You mean, like, last season, right?

I think you are going to get that one back this year. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's always a battle; Creighton hasn't been an easy out for us since I can't remember when.

And the injury thing to Huff doesn't make me feel any more comfortable.  Not after that infamous outing in 2005 when half of Creighton's roster was sick or injured.  We had, what?, 11 points at halftime?  Lost by a ton. 

That was a low water mark and the point in time where I started publicly lobbying for Collier to get canned (while still trying to say we don't need to bring it up in every single thread.)

Edited to add:  You knew the stars had aligned for Creighton that day when Josh Dotzler started dropping three-bombs on us in the first half.  Dotzler can't shoot.  WTH?

Norm, I know you and I are getting older, so we may need a reminder of long stretch from 1981 to 1998 when the Huskers were 16-4 against the jays.

The constantly oscillating wave of this series is about to swing back to our favor once again!

Who do you put Tai on? I think Thomas or Zierdin. I want Benny on Watson. I think Hammond and Morrow can defend the post. I'm guessing Creighton will play the pack defense they did last year to stop Shavon. If that's the case. Jack and White should get good looks.

Tai on Zierden, definite solution. Tai's a good and smart defender. Could also put Tai on Thomas and really use Andrew White's length to bug the heck out of Zierden. I'm interested to see what Miles does. I'll be there so I'll let y'all know, ha.

Came across this. Surprised to not see reference to Coach Mac applauding the 'hustle' of one 11-yr player on his roster in '13. Normy's fav pro 'rassler GG. ;)

I liked Dimes' idea of using Tai to man up on the much more athletic and hoop-driving Thomas, and using White, then, to close out on Zierden, the shooter.  Zierden is 6'3", not a great athlete.  Mostly a shooter, judging by his stats.  He has 70 FG attempts, 53 of which (76%) were 3-point tries.   Thomas, on the other hand, has taken 58 shots but only 15 (26%) have come from beyond the arc.

Both of them hit a decent percent of their perimeter looks, but Thomas loves the rim whereas Zierden loves the 3.  I'd say make the 6'3" shooter try to elevate over a 6'7" defender.  Meanwhile, lock Tai down on the freshman who loves to drive.

I liked Dimes' idea of using Tai to man up on the much more athletic and hoop-driving Thomas, and using White, then, to close out on Zierden, the shooter. Zierden is 6'3", not a great athlete. Mostly a shooter, judging by his stats. He has 70 FG attempts, 53 of which (76%) were 3-point tries. Thomas, on the other hand, has taken 58 shots but only 15 (26%) have come from beyond the arc.

Both of them hit a decent percent of their perimeter looks, but Thomas loves the rim whereas Zierden loves the 3. I'd say make the 6'3" shooter try to elevate over a 6'7" defender. Meanwhile, lock Tai down on the freshman who loves to drive.

I must have not seen him post that, but yeah those are my thoughts also.

I liked Dimes' idea of using Tai to man up on the much more athletic and hoop-driving Thomas, and using White, then, to close out on Zierden, the shooter. Zierden is 6'3", not a great athlete. Mostly a shooter, judging by his stats. He has 70 FG attempts, 53 of which (76%) were 3-point tries. Thomas, on the other hand, has taken 58 shots but only 15 (26%) have come from beyond the arc.

Both of them hit a decent percent of their perimeter looks, but Thomas loves the rim whereas Zierden loves the 3. I'd say make the 6'3" shooter try to elevate over a 6'7" defender. Meanwhile, lock Tai down on the freshman who loves to drive.

Also I'm not sure White can keep in front of Thomas as he has trouble keeping in front of most guards.

I suspect we'll see the Jays weave or rotate in order to get some of the matchups they want. I'd agree with giving them some faux pressure to kill the shot clock but we really prefer making sure we're back on defense so we don't give up easy buckets.

Also I'm not sure White can keep in front of Thomas as he has trouble keeping in front of most guards.

I suspect we'll see the Jays weave or rotate in order to get some of the matchups they want. I'd agree with giving them some faux pressure to kill the shot clock but we really prefer making sure we're back on defense so we don't give up easy buckets.

I suspect they'll be running Zierden back and forth along the baseline, curling toward the wing, and every time White (or whoever) chases him through the lane, Groselle will set a moving screen and throw a hip into our defender in order to get their shooter some space.  We'll see if it's called.  Be nice to get Groselle in some early foul trouble but I'm not planning on that happening.

I suspect they'll be running Zierden back and forth along the baseline, curling toward the wing, and every time White (or whoever) chases him through the lane, Groselle will set a moving screen and throw a hip into our defender in order to get their shooter some space. We'll see if it's called. Be nice to get Groselle in some early foul trouble but I'm not planning on that happening.
They run a ton of dribble hand-offs with their bigs, which are tough to guard with a guy like Zierden coming off them.

Miles' pre-game comment before the Abilene Christian game gave some insights into his plans.  They were working on some help D schemes to try to double the post and those weren't working to his satisfaction.  So, the idea of playing straight man against Groselle is apparently not what Miles has in mind.  The key is being able to recover out on CU's shooters.