Creighton Game

big red22

Thoughts from the board?

#1 - Make Goeffrey beat us... Quit doubling on the post and quit over helping on the post. Bait them into entering the ball in the most and having their bigs beat us. If we don't foul, this is going to really negate a lot of quality looks from 3 they get.

#2 - 3/4 court, very soft, 2-2-1 type press. Make them walk it up and limit their time of possession in the half court. Creighton will beat us if they get in-rhythm looks from 3 in their full court transition. But if we make them walk if up and hesitate - they're now shooting shots because they feel they have to vs feeling they're in rhythm.

#3 - Take good shots on offense and follow our offensive rebounding rules. Put up in rhythm shots that allow your teammates to position themselves to get back or to rebound. Either way, following our rules and slowing down transition is key.

Defend. We have struggled defending the Jays over the past few meetings. Our dribble drive offense has to create an inside/outside balance for us as well. If we play like we did against Miami, we should be fine!

I don't think its so much that we "haven't defended" the Jays the past few years - it's how we've done it. You have to change the way you defend Creighton vs how you defend big ten teams.

Thoughts from the board?

#1 - Make Goeffrey beat us... Quit doubling on the post and quit over helping on the post. Bait them into entering the ball in the most and having their bigs beat us. If we don't foul, this is going to really negate a lot of quality looks from 3 they get.

Groselle doesn't turn the ball over, draws contact, and knows how to finish when you get him the ball. I'm not sure that us allowing them to get the ball into the post seems like a pretty bad idea.

Do you guys expect Creighton to play Shavon like they did last year and let White try to beat them, or possibly the other way around? It seemed to work pretty well for them last year.

I hope so. Most everyone around Shields is now a better scorer and he's able to find them.  Also, he's more aggressive so he'll now force the issue even if you're trying to take it away. I'd almost think if they try and take away anyone it's White.

Do you guys expect Creighton to play Shavon like they did last year and let White try to beat them, or possibly the other way around? It seemed to work pretty well for them last year.

I hope so. Most everyone around Shields is now a better scorer and he's able to find them.  Also, he's more aggressive so he'll now force the issue even if you're trying to take it away. I'd almost think if they try and take away anyone it's White.

Miami did this and it seemed to work well for them.

That's because Miami has lock-down defenders all over the court, so it's easier to let Shavon 'get his' when the others can't hardly get a shot off; seems doubtful Crayton has that many lengthy defensive stalwarts in their lineup. We'll see, I suppose!?!

Yeah, Shavon only got 28 that night...

Conversely, I don't think TOBY or HR HuffandStuff are going to lock down White.

Like I mentioned, that same scenario is doubtful; especially now, considering Cole Huff is likely out

From the sounds of it, they have trouble trying to lock down a fire hydrant...

From the sounds of it, they have trouble trying to lock down a fire hydrant...

Those silly eastern Omahans emulating their Carter Lake neighbors, both 'getting hosed'?!

Also, it sounds like the general consensus is to lock down Shavon and try to make White beat them.  Problem is, they think White is just a catch and shoot guy...

However, White is not overly athletic nor is he a big threat to take anyone off the dribble. He is very much a catch and shoot player. But the size difference could be problematic if he does try to post up or shooting over defender after coming off a screen. Or you put Huff on him, and whoever is guarding Webster can help off. I'm fine with that guy shooting as many perimeter shots as he wants. Hopefully we see a lot of Ronnie as it will give us a more options defensively.

Thoughts from the board?

Groselle doesn't turn the ball over, draws contact, and knows how to finish when you get him the ball. I'm not sure that us allowing them to get the ball into the post seems like a pretty bad idea.

3 > 2

Been the problem past couple years.

Thoughts from the board?

3 > 2

Been the problem past couple years.

#shitball

Also, it sounds like the general consensus is to lock down Shavon and try to make White beat them.  Problem is, they think White is just a catch and shoot guy...

However, White is not overly athletic nor is he a big threat to take anyone off the dribble. He is very much a catch and shoot player. But the size difference could be problematic if he does try to post up or shooting over defender after coming off a screen. Or you put Huff on him, and whoever is guarding Webster can help off. I'm fine with that guy shooting as many perimeter shots as he wants. Hopefully we see a lot of Ronnie as it will give us a more options defensively.

The only problem with guarding us exactly the same as last year is that we currently have a top 100 3pt shooting team going against a bottom 50 3pt shooting defense.  #ShooterU also applies to the generosity on defense around the arc.